nvidia installer difficulties

Thread: nvidia installer difficulties

Question nvidia installer difficulties

greetings and salutations my linux masters! once again, i humbly ask your assitance to my vexing problem.

i'm trying to correctly install an nvidia geforce4 mx 4000 onto my machine (which uses mandrake 10.0 community and xfree86). i've downloaded and put in place the source rpms (2.6.3-4mdk) and i've downloaded nvidia's installer from it's website (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run).

this is what i've done:

1. originally, i had an SIS card; so i exited x windows; ran the nvidia program like the instructions told me and changed the XF86config like the instructions also told me. the installer told me that something called the rivafb module may interfere with my installation; but everything seemed fine; so i reboot my computer; took out the old video card; put in the NEW video card; restart; and it refuses to run x windows saying that the nvidia driver doesn't exist.

2. i edit the XF86config changed the driver vesa; then started x windows and used mandrake's utility to install a generic nvidia driver (i'm almost lost without a point and click utility).

3. i exit x windows again and try to re-run NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run. first, it tells me again that the rivafb module may interefere with the installation. then it tells me that nvidia.ko will not install because i'm using the wrong kernell sources. the nvidia installer suggested that, if i'm sure that i DO have the right resources, then i should restart NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run again and include the path to my kernel sources. i try that; without any luck.

so now i'm wondering:

A. if rivafb causing my problems; then how do i make it stop.

B. i took a look at nvidia's forum and find that the pertinent questions haven't been answered. so i look at this forum and find two threads that may have my problem:
    http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...ight=nvidia.ko
    http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...ight=nvidia.ko
    the issue with me, is that my linux-foo is weak; which means that i don't understand what
    ...To fix add:
    EXPORT_SYMBOL(__VMALLOC_RESERVE);
    to line 44 of /usr/src/linux-2.6.9/arch/i386/mm/init.c ...
    or
    step #4: switch to run level 3
    step #5: cd to Nvidia-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1 run make install
    step #6: Check /etc/modprobe.preload if it contais nvidia.
    Also check /etc/modprobe.conf if it contais alias char-major-195* nvidia.
    If one is missing enter it into the file.
    means. so is it within my linux-foo powers to attempt whatever this is?

C. how much money have i waisted if i just stick to the generic nvidia ddr driver.
    Last edited by Davy; 12-14-2004 at 04:15 AM.

start here...

if you have the kernel sources installed (I'm sure they are on your install CD somewhere) there will be a symlink /usr/src/linux pointing to them...like mine:

$ ls -l /usr/src/
    total 3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Dec 8 12:24 linux -> linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r9
    drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 664 Dec 7 00:01 linux-2.6.9
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1344 Dec 8 00:01 linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r6
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1344 Dec 12 21:04 linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r9

you need this symlink, (mine points to the -r9 version) as well as the kernel sources for whatever kernel you're currently running.
    Really, all you should have to do is stop X, and do
    sh NVIDIA-pkg-whatever.run

Check out /usr/src and get back to us...

(I hate to say it, but there are about 1,428,599 threads pertaining to nvidia drivers on Mandrake - on this forum alone!)
    Last edited by je_fro; 12-14-2004 at 05:30 AM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Use the previous driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111), since the latest driver fixes some problems with the 2.6.9 kernels but does not work with older kernel versions. It also have problems with some cards!!!
    Regards

I think the __VMALLOC_RESERVE error has been fixed some time ago.
    Try this command:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --force-tls=new
    (from Nvidia forum)
    See also this thread, where you can download the fixed installer, save it, then:
    Code:
    sh /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg0.run --extract-only
    cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg0
    unzip -f /path/to/nvidia-installer.zip
    ./nvidia-installer
    Post back if any problems.
    Last edited by nabis; 12-14-2004 at 06:36 AM.
    Slackware + *BSD :: RLU 301327

Davy the installer told me that something called the rivafb module may interfere with my installation; but everything seemed fine; so i reboot my computer
    1. The installer went fine at this point; am I correct?
    2. In open up your home folder and navigate to the /etc/ directory
    3. find modprobe.preload
    4 you will have to become root to make the cahnges.
    here is mine
    # /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
    # to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
    # a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
    # this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
    # for old kernel use /etc/modules

nvidia
    sis-agp
    bt878
    i2c-core
    i2c-isa
    w83781d

then find /etc/modprobe.conf
    here is mine
    # This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 sis900
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
    remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /bin/true
    alias char-major-195* nvidia

ensure that the two lines with the * are in the proper place. For some reason MDK was not putting nvidia in the modprobe.preload file and it will not load the nvidia kernel module at startup without it. the same applies for 10.1 also.
    Last edited by bsm2001; 12-14-2004 at 11:25 AM.
    Linux reg. User # 298337

If your motherboard has a VIA KT600 chipset, you may have problems with the AGPGART module in the newer kernel. Also, you may be able to use the nvidia 5336 version if these newer versions do not work.
    The newer kernels (2.6.8 and up) had some changes made that have caused problems with some device drivers. It will take a little while for the device driver maintainers to catch up for less common hardware.
    I was having all kinds of problems and found out that my VIA KT600 chipset AGP slot was not working well under the newer kernels. Make sure your AGP setting in the bios is set for 4X instead of 8X. You may benefit from turning off ACPI since it interferes with the IRQ assignment in some cases. Add " acpi=off" to the kernel line in the grub menu.
    Just some thoughts.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

If I were you, I'd recompile my kernel. Most likely your kernel source has changed since you installed it. Just get the .config file from the original src and use that if you don't want to tweak the kernel. There are plenty of guides about doing compiling kernels so I don't think linux "foo" as you call it, is much of a problem.
    Desktop: Slackware 12, linux-2.6.23, GNOME;
    Firewall: OpenBSD
    Cube anyone?
    Deliantra: an amazing mmo, realtime nethack.
    Don't make the same mistakes I did as a new user: Read the Posting Guidelines or face being banned! [/color]

thank you all for your ideas... you're truly beautifuly; all of you. only one fix seemed to work so i posted it first:

Originally posted by hard candy
    If your motherboard has a VIA KT600 chipset, you may have problems with the AGPGART module in the newer kernel. Also, you may be able to use the nvidia 5336 version if these newer versions do not work.
    The newer kernels (2.6.8 and up) had some changes made that have caused problems with some device drivers. It will take a little while for the device driver maintainers to catch up for less common hardware.
    I was having all kinds of problems and found out that my VIA KT600 chipset AGP slot was not working well under the newer kernels. Make sure your AGP setting in the bios is set for 4X instead of 8X. You may benefit from turning off ACPI since it interferes with the IRQ assignment in some cases. Add " acpi=off" to the kernel line in the grub menu.
    Just some thoughts.
    i have the VIA KM266 NORTHBRIDGE chipset;

BUT i did get somewhere with your suggestion to use the 5336 nvidia driver... it would seem that it worked; but it introduced me to a NEW problem. now x windows won't start because it can't seem to find any screens. i don't understand how that can be possible because i didn't touch my monitor settings in the XF86config.

i also took at look at my bootloader; i use lilo instead of grub and acpi is already disabled.

i REALLY hope you have some more ideas cuz your suggestion was the only one that i seemed to make progress on.

Originally posted by je_fro
    if you have the kernel sources installed (I'm sure they are on your install CD somewhere) there will be a symlink /usr/src/linux pointing to them...like mine:

$ ls -l /usr/src/
    total 3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Dec 8 12:24 linux -> linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r9
    drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 664 Dec 7 00:01 linux-2.6.9
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1344 Dec 8 00:01 linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r6
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1344 Dec 12 21:04 linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r9

you need this symlink, (mine points to the -r9 version) as well as the kernel sources for whatever kernel you're currently running.
    Really, all you should have to do is stop X, and do
    sh NVIDIA-pkg-whatever.run

Check out /usr/src and get back to us...

(I hate to say it, but there are about 1,428,599 threads pertaining to nvidia drivers on Mandrake - on this forum alone!)
    i already have a symlink pointing to my distro's sources (and i got the sources from my mandrake cd's)

.... and i know... there are a lot of threads regarding the nvidia drivers; and i wish that i didn't have to post a new one but i could only find two that were pertinate to me and both are beyond my programing capabilities.

Originally posted by bathory
    Use the previous driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111), since the latest driver fixes some problems with the 2.6.9 kernels but does not work with older kernel versions. It also have problems with some cards!!!
    Regards
    i've just tried that. i downloaded and ran that exact version. it simply told me that it could not build the module. i can post the nvidia-installer.log if you think it'll help.

Originally posted by nabis
    I think the __VMALLOC_RESERVE error has been fixed some time ago.
    Try this command:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --force-tls=new
    (from Nvidia forum)
    See also this thread, where you can download the fixed installer, save it, then:
    Code:
    sh /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg0.run --extract-only
    cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg0
    unzip -f /path/to/nvidia-installer.zip
    ./nvidia-installer
    Post back if any problems.
    i've just tried to run the installer user the "--force-tls=new" switch you just gave me... i didn't seem to have any affect. .

also, i couldn't find download for "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg0.run" so i wasn't able to try it.

Originally posted by bsm2001
    1. The installer went fine at this point; am I correct?
    2. In open up your home folder and navigate to the /etc/ directory
    3. find modprobe.preload
    4 you will have to become root to make the cahnges.
    here is mine
    # /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
    # to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
    # a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
    # this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
    # for old kernel use /etc/modules

nvidia
    sis-agp
    bt878
    i2c-core
    i2c-isa
    w83781d

then find /etc/modprobe.conf
    here is mine
    # This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 sis900
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
    remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /bin/true
    alias char-major-195* nvidia

ensure that the two lines with the * are in the proper place. For some reason MDK was not putting nvidia in the modprobe.preload file and it will not load the nvidia kernel module at startup without it. the same applies for 10.1 also.
    my "modprobe.preload" doesn't list nvidia... but that was probably because i did "nvidia-installer --uninstall while performing these other tests.

my "modprobe.conf" DOES list nvidia, but mine looks like: alias nvidia only

Originally posted by Gogeta_44
    If I were you, I'd recompile my kernel. Most likely your kernel source has changed since you installed it. Just get the .config file from the original src and use that if you don't want to tweak the kernel. There are plenty of guides about doing compiling kernels so I don't think linux "foo" as you call it, is much of a problem.
    i don't understand why might i need to recompile the kernel? i'm kinda scared of the thought because i've never found a guide that has worked for my system.

In the Xf86config file, make sure the "Screen" name matches the device section for the nvidia device, i.e the "Identifier" .
    Also, make sure you "modprobe agpgart" and if present "modprobe via-agp" (you can see a list of modules present, not necessarily loaded, by using 'modprobe -l | more', I prefer 'more' because when you press 'q' to quit, the list stays in place in the console. You can scroll through it by using 'Enter". )
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Originally posted by Davy
    i don't understand why might i need to recompile the kernel? i'm kinda scared of the thought because i've never found a guide that has worked for my system.
    and previously:
    Originally posted by Davy then it tells me that nvidia.ko will not install because i'm using the wrong kernell sources
    Compiling a new kernel would provide you with a kernel source that matches your kernel exactly. If the problem was that nvidia was built incorrectly on the source, which is what I'v seen alot with this type of thing, then it would allow nvidia to run fine, compiled correctly.
    Also you might want to run "modprobe nvidia", check for errors, then run dmesg to see if there's anymore info.
    Last edited by Gogeta_44; 12-16-2004 at 01:22 AM.
    Desktop: Slackware 12, linux-2.6.23, GNOME;
    Firewall: OpenBSD
    Cube anyone?
    Deliantra: an amazing mmo, realtime nethack.
    Don't make the same mistakes I did as a new user: Read the Posting Guidelines or face being banned! [/color]

Originally posted by hard candy
    In the Xf86config file, make sure the "Screen" name matches the device section for the nvidia device, i.e the "Identifier" .
    Also, make sure you "modprobe agpgart" and if present "modprobe via-agp" (you can see a list of modules present, not necessarily loaded, by using 'modprobe -l | more', I prefer 'more' because when you press 'q' to quit, the list stays in place in the console. You can scroll through it by using 'Enter". )
    i changed xconfig so that the screen names matched with the device section. a NEW error popped up tell me that the screen was found; but it was an unusable configuration. so i modeled the screen section after setting up twin monitor section of the documentation (but ignoring the parts that describe the setup for the second monitor); and the same error popped up again.

i can post what i changed if it'll help; but in the meantime, can you think of another reason why this isn't working?

Originally posted by Gogeta_44
    Compiling a new kernel would provide you with a kernel source that matches your kernel exactly. If the problem was that nvidia was built incorrectly on the source, which is what I'v seen alot with this type of thing, then it would allow nvidia to run fine, compiled correctly.
    Also you might want to run "modprobe nvidia", check for errors, then run dmesg to see if there's anymore info. [/B]
    i am about 95% sure that i'm using the right sources. the nvidia installer error message was the one that said i was using the wrong sources; but if you think it'll help i'll try it if playing around with the xconfig won't get it to work... i'm deffinately willing to try.

and also, how do i use dmesg? i heard of it, i've seen it around, but i've never learned how to use it.

man dmesg
    man less

I usually do:
    dmesg | less
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

If you're getting the no screens found, the first thing I would check is to see if you're loading the proper video driver in your XF86Config-4 file.

Mine looks like this:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Video"
            Driver          "nvidia"
            Option          "NvAgp" "1"
            # VideoRam      16384
    EndSection

If it were me trying to get my video working I would upgrade my kernel to the newest one, download the newest nvidia driver, and then try to install it.

Here's a direct link to the latest NVidia drivers:
    http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-6629-pkg1.run

Make sure your kernel supports modules.

Code:
    18 root@linux:[~]# grep -i modules /boot/config-2.6.5-smp-r9
    CONFIG_MODULES=y
    19 root@linux:[~]#
    And make sure that your nvidia module is loaded after installation

Code:
    20 root@linux:[~]# lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia               3465596  12
    21 root@linux:[~]#

As for the riva error when you install the NVidia drivers, I get that too so don't be to concerned with it.
    Last edited by davisfactor; 12-17-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Re: ...

Originally posted by je_fro
    man dmesg
    man less

I usually do:
    dmesg | less

sometimes for me if my system has been acting crazy, dmesg will only show a million errors (I think I had a hard drive go out that caused that).

Something that I got in the habit of doing was to run less against my /var/log/dmesg file. I guess just running 'dmsg' only shows some of the /var/log/dmesg file?

Anyway I wanted to throw that in there in case it helps down the road.