ndiswrapper error

Thread: ndiswrapper error

ndiswrapper error

First of all, thanks for the help I've already gotten from here, it's been very encouraging in my exploits thus far.

I've been trying to get a driver for my Broadcom 54g Maxperformance BCM94036 wireless chipset up and running, and it seems ndiswrapper is the only way to do it.

I read every howto and link and thread I could find about it, and still can't find the answer to my problem. I already uninstalled the version that comes with SUSE 9.1, it was old. Then I installed .12, which is apparently the newest. However, when doing "make" in the decompressed folder, it begins to work, but then puts out:

/home/simjanes2k/bin/ndiswrapper-0.12/driver/usb.c: In function 'usb_submit_nt_urb':
    /home/simjanes2k/bin/ndiswrapper-0.12/driver/usb.c:511: error: structure has no member named 'act_altsetting'
    /home/simjanes2k/bin/ndiswrapper-0.12/driver/usb.c:514: error: structure has no member named 'act_altsetting'
    make[2]: *** [/home/simjanes2k/bin/ndiswrapper-0.12/driver/usb.o] Error 1
    make[1[: *** [home/simjanes2k/bin/ndiswrapper-0.12/driver] Error 2

I declare no l33t. Help?
    <^ Total n00b. Sorry.

looks like a problem with the USB, but the error is in ndiswrapper...my guesses..

The download is bad (not likely)
    or
    You do not have the proper libs installed, I don't know which ones you will need but they are probably devel-something

Well, I checked Yast for usb drivers and libs, and everything seems to be installed. My USB ports work just fine for my mouse, too. I tried several places for ndiswrapper, and they all gave me the same error when installing.

Why would ndiswrapper need the USB stuff to be in order for it to run, anyway? I don't need it for that, just for the wireless.
    <^ Total n00b. Sorry.

Try just running "make install" as root.

I don't know if you saw this one from SuseForum, I believe:

"IF YOU HAVE NOT upgraded your kernel via YaST Online Update (YOU) from the default one that came on your CDs: Start up YaST, hit Add/Remove software, and then type kernel-source into the Search box. Install the package marked kernel-source.

c) Make sure you have the "make" package installed.
    d) Due to an issue with the kernel-default package having a 0.8 file in it, ndiswrapper may not compile cleanly if you do not remove this file. As root, remove the file:

/lib/modules/2.6.5-<version>-default/extra/ndiswrapper.ko

(Thanks to Tim Chick for his help on this one)"

Hope this at least points ya in the right direction.
    Ooooh. The internet

This is fun. After trying the ndiswrapper crap and messing with it for a while, trying all the reccomended options, my eth0 stopped working. Now I have to use XP for internet. Not cool.

I guess I'll try uninstalling ndis and see if I can get back online, then do a full SUSE update. This is so intensely frustrating!

And yet, it reminds me of being a little kid and trying to get m parents 3.11 box to run for more than ten minutes.
    <^ Total n00b. Sorry.

trc is offline master of the arcane arts
    you have to read the install file. on the new version of ndiswrapper you skip make and do make install as root
    slacker