1st Linux Book - Newbie Question

Thread: 1st Linux Book - Newbie Question

Question 1st Linux Book - Newbie Question

Could/would you recommend a good FIRST Linux book (please not a reference book) for a disgusted Winbloz user? You know, large type, pictures, treat me like the newbie I am book?

Thanks!
    Neal Perkins

I'm not sure, I'm new with Linux myself however I do know that the Book named Linux Kiss The Blue Screen Of death Good Bye is an awful book to learn Linux.
    I wouldn't recommend that book for the reason that the book doesn't teach Linux in full detail it waste to much time with simple things that just about everyone already knows how to do such as how to set up a browser, email etc .

Not sure where your at but you can try heading down to your local library and see what they have there. OR, you can try out the linux for dummies book.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...764579371.html
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    Depending on your knowledge of DOS commands (I still think this is an essential Windows skill) I would recommend "Linux System Commands" by Patrick Volkerding. It is a wonderful book to ease you from the DOS command structure into the Unix command structure. Also, keep in mind that Patrick Volkerding is the creator of Slackware Linux and therefore, an authority in his field
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

i started out with the LINUX ADMINISTRATORS HANDBOOK. not a lot of pictures, but it will get you up to speed. it goes over the most basic things you need to setup and run linux. I love gui tools and package managers, but with linux you really need to at least learn basic text commands first. i started out with basic commands and mandrake/redhat installs and used rpms for installs, gui tools for configuring the network, etc. slowly(very slowly) i have learned alot and am now diving into more text based stuff, but you cant do much on linux without good command line tools and that book is good for that.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Man, that's a tough one. The first thing you have to realise is that most computer books are written to sell, not to teach. ("We need a new book on this Linux thingie, asap" "Ok, whats it to be about?" "Oh, about 500 pages and 50 dollars")

I am an inveterate collector of computer books so I have all the "Learn Linux in 21 days/weeks/hours" and "Teach yourself Linux in 21 days/weeks and Linux Unleashed etc and I can't that that there is a best one, although there are lots of lousy ones.

Probably the best way, if money is a problem, is to just get yourself a distro on CD, download some of the tutorials on the web, and go for it. It won't take long before you can go into a bookstore and decide which books are for you.

If you start with a CD distro like Knoppix or Ubuntu you will get a working Linux much faster than if you start with Debian, Slackware, Gentoo or one of the techie distros. However, If you are wanting to become a genuwine guru and are willing to to heads down, then one of the three (or one of several others) will give you many cold rainy nights of interesting learning.

CptKrf

Without a doubt (IMO) the best all around Linux book...

"The Linux Administration Handbook" Evi Nemeth, Prentice Hall

Regards

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

I have never actually used any books for working with Linux. I tried Knoppix (obviously; the great converter), Red Hat 8.0, Mandrake 9.1 & 10.0 and SuSE 9.1 and ended up with Ubuntu 4.10 (at the moment).
    Whenever I have come across an issue, I have Google'd and then, if necessary, posted a question at LinuxQuestions.org. If you choose one of the newer beginner-friendly distributions, it is pretty much go ahead after you download, burn it to CD and boot from the CD.
    You may want to look into
    - The Linux file structure. it is good to know what goes where. Also useful when it comes to partitioning before installation.
    - Using the command line. Most can be done graphically, but one will have to use the command line some times - and a good grip on this can save a lot of time and grief. This can be learned quite well, I think, at LinuxCommand.
    - Dual-booting, if you wish to consider keeping Windows along with you Linux installation. How this works varies a bit between the distributions.

For documentation, you may want to use the Linux Newbie Administrator Guide.
    Somewhere between newbie and intermediate -
    Registered Linux user number 353252, starring UbuntuLinux 4.10 and VectorLinux 4.3.
    I deeply appreciate both the freedom and the free beer in Linux.

Wherever the pink elephant or the booze lead me
    I don't think you can go wrong adding O'Reilly'sRunning Linux to your bookshelf
    "As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something."
    - Hagar the Horrible

The three wise monkeys' names are Mikazaru (Hear no evil), Mizaru (See no evil) and Mazaru (Speak no evil).

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your help.
    I just came home with Running Linux and Linux in Easy Steps (looks like big print and big pictures!!) I also ordered a SuSE distribution and am ready to dive in! More questions to follow!
    Thanks again,
    Neal
    Neal Perkins

I think learning linux isn't like learning history. Its kinda one of those things you know. You just gotta get on that bycycle and RIDE IT. And Play around with it. When you fsck, you learn from it, and you know what you can do, whats pushing it, and what will mess you and your bike(<--computer) up.

eskiled

<edit> However, the man pages are always your first resource </edit>
    eskiled is Against-TCPA

For Xmas my wife bought me Red Hat Fedora Linux 2 Bible (Christopher Negus - ISBN 0764557459) as I am just starting out with Linux. It looks daunting at over 1000 pages but is layed out in avery simple format. It starts at the beginning, assuming very little Linux knowledge and progresses from there. I've found it excellent so far, particularly as it came with Fedora Core 2 on disks. It does assume reasonable understanding of PCs in general.

I have 2 books on linux.

Linux in a nutshell

and the Linux Administration Handbook.

I have also printed the Debian Handbook and the Gentoo Handbook but since I use Ubuntu 4.10 neither of those books do me any good.

Joel
    G.I. Joel - GySgt of Marines
    "Jedi Techie and Master of All That is Windows"
    - The views expressed in this E-Mail do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Marine Corps, the United States Federal Government, or anyone in particular. Disclaimer Void where Prohibited, Taxed, Licensed, or Generally Disapproved of, your mileage may vary. Don’t Drink and Drive, Fly, Ride, Boat, Swim, Stand, Walk, or anything that requires movement.