0 post count users

Thread: 0 post count users

0 post count users

this is mostly to bproffit i guess. he's prolly the only one who can do much about it, but i was looking through the member list and i noticed a large amount of people have 0 posts but have been registered for a year or more. why are these accounts still here and active? why not remove all accounts with 0 posts that are over a year old? if the people that created them comeback and want to post then they can just recreate their account.
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

/me agrees.

same
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

And why cant they stay?
    Last edited by Hypz; 01-02-2005 at 02:16 AM.

And why cant they stay?
    Probably because the user name could be one another user wants because he/she thinks its nice. If someone has an account with a cool name that has just been sitting inactive for over a year it could be seen as going to waste.

Heh, if someone else had Suminigashi and wasn't using it I dunno what my account name would be because I use this name for everything .

There is always the possiblility that someone created those user names for eventual abuse as a spammer, which is something we've been contending with lately.

Here's what I think should happen: I will make an announcement warning everyone that 0 post accounts created before 11/1/04 will be zapped in two weeks.

That should take care of the issue.

BKP
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

Originally posted by bproffitt
    Here's what I think should happen: I will make an announcement warning everyone that 0 post accounts created before 11/1/04 will be zapped in two weeks.

That should take care of the issue.

BKP
    We should expect to see a change on the front page after axeing all those accounts

Forum: Registered Users: 62889
    to
    Forum: Registered Users: 42352

It is a good idea since they are just sitting there and a lot are even 'banned' since they were spammers. Kill the nobodys!

Well, this comes from experience. I've been a registered member for quite some time, and have had difficulty trying to post. I've received error messages telling me that I didn't have the proper permissions to reply to posts. Of course, <put foot in mouth> right after I emailed one of the mods </put foot in mouth>, it seems to work rather well.

I would say that if this was my experience, perhaps it has been others as well?

I seem to remember having a similar problem, but I'm not sure it was this forum. Something vbulletin-based though, and it magically fixed itself just after I mailed an admin.
    Anyway... are there forums here which aren't readable if you're not logged on as a user? There might be a lot of silent lurkers reading them if there are. Of course, if they never post, nobody will be sure they exist.

"If a 0-post lurker is deleted before he sends a PM to anyone, did he ever exist?"
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

I agree completely with getting rid of accounts that haven't been used in a long time. And if someone has experienced difficulty posting that is unfortunate, but it can be fixed if the member seeks a solution.
    When I first started posting here, I noticed I couldn't reply to posts in threads if I was replying to them from a notification link in my email.
    Anyway, "silent lurkers" can read the forum no prob; you don't have to be "logged-in" to read posts. If someone has somthing to ask/say making a new account is easy and shouldn't present too much of a problem.
    Linux user #367409

If anyone's wondering why I haven't done this yet, be at ease. I wanted to confer with some folks before I launch this little housekeeping project.

BKP
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

I haven't posted before b/c I am felt I had nothing to contribute. I do frequently search the site for solutions to my problems, though.

i have 1 post! im a dweller