Mandrake 10.1 annoyances

Thread: Mandrake 10.1 annoyances

Mount permissions

Hi

I'm having trouble changing permissions of mounted directories.

I'm using Mandrake 10.1, and basically I am able to mount 2 different windows fat32 partitions, but for some reason can only access them via root.

Below is my fstab:
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0
    /dev/hdb9 /mnt/osshare vfat defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb7 /mnt/win_c2 vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,users 0 0

The directorys I'm having trouble with are /mnt/osshare & /mnt/win_c2. Both their permissions are drwxr--r-- and refuse to change when I issue a 'chmod 755 /mnt/osshare' command.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by phredd; 01-06-2005 at 09:15 AM.
    AMD Athlon XP 2800
    ASUS A7N8X+ Mobo
    DVD/CDRW
    Seagate 60GB HDD
    ASUS Geforce FX 5200
    On-board LAN/Sound
    Mandrake Linux 9.1/Win2k

bump

I edited this post..
    AMD Athlon XP 2800
    ASUS A7N8X+ Mobo
    DVD/CDRW
    Seagate 60GB HDD
    ASUS Geforce FX 5200
    On-board LAN/Sound
    Mandrake Linux 9.1/Win2k

Hmm, I note that both of those partitions are on hdb, whereas the others are not. Is it possible that the permissions of the device file(s) could be weird? I'm not sure that should matter since all of my drive devices appear to be read and execute only, yet I can in fact write to them, but it's something to check at least.

Thanks for your suggestion;

I checked this out and the permissions are the same for all my hd* devices (brw-rw----).

Any other ideas?

Cheers
    AMD Athlon XP 2800
    ASUS A7N8X+ Mobo
    DVD/CDRW
    Seagate 60GB HDD
    ASUS Geforce FX 5200
    On-board LAN/Sound
    Mandrake Linux 9.1/Win2k

1. The defaut permissions on a FAT mount should be drwxr-xr-x, but you said the permissions for both mounts are drwxr--r--. Are you sure you posted that correctly?

2. The "umask" option is usually what does the trick for setting permissions on a FAT mount. I see that you have umask=0 in the win_c2 fstab entry (although it isn't in the osshare entry), which should give the mount permissions of 777.

3. You can't change the UNIX permissions of a directory on which you mount a FAT volume while that volume is mounted.

Try this:

- The "umask=022" option will apply permissions of 755 to the FAT volumes; put that in the fstab entries of both mounts.

- Unmount both FAT volumes.

- Do chmod 755 on both directories.

- Remount the FAT volumes and see what you get.

DMR, you are the main marsupial!

NIce one DMR, your suggestions worked a treat.

It is definately the umask option that needs to be set for vfat, although setting the directory permissions before mounting also seems to work with a umask=0 (777).

Maybe Mandrake handles mount permissions differently from some other distros?

Apart from that I checked my command history and it looked like my mounting and umounting was a bit haphazard

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated
    Last edited by phredd; 01-07-2005 at 09:31 PM.
    AMD Athlon XP 2800
    ASUS A7N8X+ Mobo
    DVD/CDRW
    Seagate 60GB HDD
    ASUS Geforce FX 5200
    On-board LAN/Sound
    Mandrake Linux 9.1/Win2k

Re: DMR, you are the main marsupial!

Originally posted by phredd
    NIce one DMR, your suggestions worked a treat.

It is definately the umask option that needs to be set for vfat, although setting the directory permissions before mounting seems to work with a umask=0 (777).

Maybe Mandrake handles mount permissions differently from some other distros?
    Glad that helped.

The umask option is certainly what you need as far as setting permissions for FAT/FAT32 filesystems, but off the top of my head I can't remember what happens when you set the UNIX permissions of the mount directory to perms. which differ from those set by the umask directive. In other words, I can't remember which takes priority over the other or what possible conflicts you might encounter.

Sbbath,

I've split your question and the posts in answer to that question into their own separate thread. You can find the new thread here:

http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=136945

We do ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Thanks for understanding.