How to get mouse working after plugout?

Thread: How to get mouse working after plugout?

How to get mouse working after plugout?

Hi!
    I'm so tired of this problem! When I plug out mouse and then plug it in again, the mouse doesn't work anymore in KDE! My mouse is damiged, so sometimes it looses signal and like 'Plug out' and then mouse pointer just stops!

There are left 2 choises for me:

1. Restart KDE
    2. Use NUM PAD keys to move pointer

Is it posible to somehow set so Linux will detect if mouse is pluged out and after mouse is pluged in again, it will restart some deamon or something so mouse will work again without restarting KDE!? Thank you!

USB or PS/2?
    Linux User #181509

* It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on this planet
    has ever come up with the phrase "as pretty as an airport" *
    -- Douglas Adams --

PS/2

PS/2 is not hot-pluggable. No system can detect a PS/2 mouse being plugged in -- the PS/2 port doesn't support that.

Yeap PS/2 its not hot-pluggable. but its possible to unplug and plug your mouse and you don't have to restart anything.
    I always used PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and unplugged and pluged and never had any problem. I don't have any special configurantion, so a can't see what could be wrong there.

Its wierd because your linux is behaving like a win98, if you try to do the same thing in win2k the system doesn't crash, i can load the mouse or keyboard, the same happends to linux, i can unplug my mouse (PS/2) and still plugin, and still works without restarting.
    Maybe because of the mouse??
    M3rlin

i think it has something to do w/ linux because with any of my mice (generic ball w/ wheel, generic optical w/ wheel, and a microsoft wireless one) if I unplug it i have to exit my wm and reloggin but in xp i can switch the mouse.. could it possibly do w/ the way the system or X polls the p/s port (<--- shot in the dark)
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

you might wanna get that fixed. ps/2 ports are active and plugging/unplugging them can short your main board out.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

yeap thats true it can short your main board out.

I unplugged my mouse, and printer (in printer you must make sure that it is power down, VERY IMPORTANT), never had any problems. I have a Microsoft optical mouse with wheel.
    never had that problem, sometimes my mouse unplugged, and a plugged again, and keep working fine
    M3rlin

Thank you for replys!
    Its strange, because I week ago I installed XP so I can play games a little. Then I realise that my mouse doesn't work, because in CS it like stoped resporting for second or so. I fought its from the dirt, so I cleaned it, I have an optic mouse, but still didn't work. On XP after plugout-plugin it still worked! Thanx!

maybe you wanna consider to aquire another mouse
    ehehehe
    M3rlin

Originally posted by m3rlin
    I unplugged my mouse, and printer (in printer you must make sure that it is power down, VERY IMPORTANT), never had any problems.
    Regardless of particular users' experiences, the technical fact still stands that PS/2 serial devices are not designed as hotpluggable; the same rule of powering down that applies to the printer port applies to the serial port. Only USB and Firewire devices are designed to be hotpluggable.

I know even from my own experience over the years that you certainly can hotplug a PS/2 mouse without blowing anything up, but you do so at your own risk. Early PCs and Macs were much more likely to sustain damage from hotplugging mice and keyboards than modern computers, but the risk (however small) is still there. Given that, it isn't really responsible to suggest to others that it's OK to do.