Did i mess up my partitions?

Thread: Did i mess up my partitions?

Did i mess up my partitions?

before when i installed linux(dualboot) if i had a 60 gig drive and split it to 2 30's. one for windows and then i would partition the rest linux. windows wouldnt see any of the linux partitions. no problems.

now i installed slack and partitioned the drive as usual. but windows sees the other partitions(D) as ONE large part. all 30 gig. even though i have i split into like 5/6 partitions. btw its not writeable

linux see /dev/hda1 as windows. 30 gig
    and /dev/hda2 30 gig

then the rest of my /dev/hda5,6,7 etc as 30 gig but its only 60 gig drive

i cant mount /dev/hda2

what the F@#$ did i do know?

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 3649 29310561 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda2 3650 7297 29302560 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 3650 3773 995998+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda6 3774 4271 4000153+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda7 4272 5142 6996276 83 Linux
    /dev/hda8 5143 7297 17310006 83 Linux
    soule
    Last edited by soulestream; 01-05-2005 at 01:20 AM.
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

you made an extended partition and then created other partitions in that extended partition. You did not need to make hda2 and extended partition but you are fine the way it is nonetheless.

Windows only sees the extended partition.

The extended partition is like a virtual partition used when one needs more than 4 partitions on a drive. There is a limit of 4 primary partitions on any one drive and the extended partition allows you to overcome this limitation.

You did a fine job and nothing is messed up.

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

If you don't want windows to "see" your linux partition you can do this:
    Properties on "my computer", "hardware" then "Device manager" , click on "+" on the hard drives, you will see 2 hard drives, one is windows other is linux, select the linux, and the press disable.
    There you go, windows can't see your partition anymore
    M3rlin

Re: Did i mess up my partitions?

Originally posted by soulestream
    i cant mount /dev/hda2
    Just to add to techwise's assessment: you can't mount Extended partitions; you can only mount Logical partitions which you (must) create within the Extended partition. Your hda2 is the Extended partition, so the fact that you can't mount it is perfectly normal.

Originally posted by techwise
    You did not need to make hda2 and extended partition...
    soulstream may have had to make the second partiton Extended depending on which utility he/she used to create the partitions. Linux partitioning tools allow the creation of 4 Primary partitions, but many (all?) Windows/DOS utilities only allow the creation of 1 Primary partition.

but many (all?) Windows/DOS utilities only allow the creation of 1 Primary partition.
    yeah and ya know what the say about an old dog.... if youve been using DOS since 3.0, the first thing i do is grab a dos boot disk.

guess i should start using linux fdisk or cfdisk

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Originally posted by soulestream
    yeah and ya know what the say about an old dog.... if youve been using DOS since 3.0, the first thing i do is grab a dos boot disk.
    Yeah yeah- whaaa and moan...

Sorry, but an excuse like that just isn't going to save your butt around here; there are more than few us who remember the joys of running DOS off floppies on old 8088/80268 boxen...

i wasnt b**chin, i was just saying. you know how when you get old and you remember how things Used to be, like when microsoft actually helped the Pc industry.

soule

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

...like when microsoft actually helped the Pc industry.
    You, my friend, must have grown up in different universe than the rest of us...

microsoft didn't grow the pc industry... yah the invented some technology, can't say they didn't, but i belive the big push up of the pc's are because of the games, the games manufacter usi ng new technology to improve the graphics and sounds, the pc industry had to keep up, faster processors, best graphic cards, new kind of memory.

but this is my opinion, i could be wrong
    M3rlin