possible unifying of two

Thread: possible unifying of two

possible unifying of two

I was curious if the people at www.LinuxQuestions.org have ever offered to merge with www.JustLinux.com or vice versa or any other *nix community for that matter?
    IMHO that would simply make sense to have one massive centralized *nix community! I'm sure that it could be done since this is not a competitive situation (I think). The *nix community should be looking at ways to improve consistently.

Eugene
    Last edited by hercun; 01-05-2005 at 07:43 AM.

I have thought the same in the past. It would nice if at least the search feature searched both. Might cut down or repeat questions.

Originally posted by scinerd
    I have thought the same in the past. It would nice if at least the search feature searched both. Might cut down or repeat questions.
    It would only cut done on repeat questions if people acturally searched for the questions :-D

The problem is that JustLinux and LinuxQuestions have somewhat incompatible views on appropriate use of the forum. From what I understand (and this is purely hearsay) you get a lot of posts that have already been answered because people don't search first and ask second at LQ. JustLinux tries to make people a little more independent rather than just spoonfeeding them. That is what Linux is all about, after all Also, because of all the posts over there a lot of them don't get answered because people only have so much time to answer quesitons and if the poster could have found the answer elsewhere they tend not to get an answer.

Anyway, that may not actually be the case over there, and I will say that often when I google something I actually get linuxquestions posts as my first results so it's certainly not a bad forum. That's just my take on why there are two different forums instead of both getting together. Of course, the companies that run both of them might have a problem with a merger too

My personal opinion is that having more varietites of a product, in this case forums, leads to better products/forums.
    I'm sure there are some philosophical differences between the owner/administrator of Linux Questions and JupitorMedia which would be difficult to smooth out.

I just typed "linux forums" in Google and got 18,500,000 hits, so I narrowed it to "linux forums" in the page title posted in the last year and still got 257,000 hits, so I made it the exact phrase in the title and not "all the words"- 279,000 hits, and then made it in the last 3 months-281,000 hits. The point is that there are a heck of a lot of forums about linux out there and combining two of them may not have the effect of making a central site where newbies look for answers.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

JL.com = for profit
    LQ.org = not for profit

I have ads blocked, so can anyone tell me which site has more MS advertising?

At LQ, you get lots of threads with subjects like "HELP !!!!!....." and the poster never gets corrected. But... it is a nice resource and I personally like having more than one place to look for and/or provide help.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

Originally posted by Sepero
    JL.com = for profit
    LQ.org = not for profit

I have ads blocked, so can anyone tell me which site has more MS advertising?
    I'm looking at a Windows Server ad right now. I find it ironic that this page alone has two M$ ads alone.

I also mentioned in my original post that unify any other linux resource for that matter. The only reason I suggested LQ.org is because the most users they've ever had online was something like 2100 and JL.com only has had 176. So strictly speaking I was simply going by the fact that LQ.org is probably one of the 'bigger' forums out there.

Eugene

While we have had communications about various issues in the past, and I have the utmost respect for Jeremy and his team's work, JL and LQ will very likely remain separate entities.

This may seem redundant, but I think the Web is easily big enough for the both of us (and all the other forum-based Linux Web sites).

Peace,
    Brian Proffitt
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux