Yet another SAMBA question

Thread: Yet another SAMBA question

Yet another SAMBA question

I've seen numerous other posts about this same issue, but the suggestions either aren't working for me, or they just plain don't make sense. Here goes:
    Running Slackware 10 on a Windows domain with static IP - no problems there.
    Have the following three entries in fstab:
    //10.0.0.###/Extras /mnt/Extras smbfs username=winuser,password=***** 0 0

//10.0.0.###/Music /mnt/Music smbfs username=winuser,password=***** 0 0

//10.0.0.###/Video /mnt/Video smbfs username=winuser,password=***** 0 0

The remote partitions mount fine, but they are read-only as a regular user, read/write as root. I would like to make them read/write for the regular user, and/or get an ftp server running.

I had both of these features working correctly before, but when I reinstalled Slack to address another issue and lost them and can't figure out what I did previously!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

im not really sure how secure this is but it works for me

//server/share /mnt/share smbfs credentials=/dir/cred,rw,dmask=0777,fmask=0777

then create a credentials file at /dir/cred(or wherever) mine is in my samba folder.
    username = yourname
    password = yourpassword
    domain = your domain

the dmask,fmask makes the folder writeable to EVERYONE on the system, so not real secure but on my home network i dont mind

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

This link should provide you with the help you need.

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesys...rmanently.html
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.

Thanks!

This works in that I can now read/write as non-root, but when I write to the remote directory, I get an error message as follows:
    Could not change permissions for /mnt/SMBShare/FileName.xxx

Any idea how to correct this? If I OK it, the file is copied and appears to be normal.

thats normal. its just saying it could not hand over ownership on a box that it does not control

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

If you're getting a dialog box that you can click OK on, you must be writing from a GUI application. Something like that could be specific to that particular application. Do you get that same type of error no matter how you write to the file? How about if you have just a text file on the remote machine and edit it from the command line with something like vi or pico?
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.

Saw both replies...

1st post: Is there any way to suppress the dialog box?
    2nd post: Can copy via the console, and edit/save with vi. Only get the dialog when copying to Windoze with Konqueror.

Thanks for all the help, by the way...It's nice to have my 'nix box doing everything Windoze does, only better of course!