fto server set up

Thread: fto server set up

ftp server set up

i am trying to setup my ftp server and i downloaded wu-ftp but im fairly new to linux and i dont know the commands to install stuff.. it is a .gz file. after i get it installed i think (hope) i can play with it enough and figure out how to set it up. also i have the firewall turned on.. is there anyway to turn it off? i was trying to send some files to a friend over IM but it didnt work? thanks for helping out a newbie!

brandon
    Last edited by jiggolo182; 01-11-2005 at 11:18 PM.

heh...

How is your firewall "turned on"? Did you load an iptables script? You'll need to allow traffic to port 21 to use your FTP server. All that has nothing to do with IM file transfers though.
    The usual way to install a program, (outside of whatever package manager your distro uses) is to:
    tar -xzvf packagename.tar.gz
    cd packagename
    less README
    less INSTALL
    ./configure
    make
    su <password>
    make install
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

im running Fedora Core 3 and during the install process it asked me if i wanted to enable the firewall. also, i didnt load any iptable scripts. i wasnt thinking about the ftp at the time and i figured that there would be a way to modify its settings once i got linux loaded. i cant find a way to change anything though. i can run my ftp server in windows and im not a complete 'tard when it comes to computers.. im just new to linux. im a cs major trying to expand my horizons i suppose. but anyways.. the IM thing can be fixed later as im sure thats due to the firewall as well.. ill try to install the program and get back to you on how it worked out. thanks for the help!!!

brandon

ok.. i tried to install the tar.gz file and i think it unpacked correctly but when i ran the make and make install commands i got some errors.. nothing stated whether the install was successful or not but i cant find it anywhere. if i post my error logs can you try to help me troubleshoot? thanks!

brandon

ok.. so i read through the INSTALL file and ran their commands and when i ran ./build install i got the following error...

make: *** No rule to make target `bin/ftpd', needed by `install'. Stop.

so that is definitely one problem.. where can i get that file from and can i just add it to that folder?