Machine booting oddly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machine booting oddly...

Machine booting oddly...

A few days ago, my machine wouldn't start the bootsequence and sometimes it freezes halfway through. It can also happen that it stalls right before the white Nvidia pre-login add. After a few hits directly on the physical restart button, I finally get into the desktop, and then I can move the mouse around, but not touch anything after I click the first object. When I press the restart button after this, the macine starts up normally, and I can use the machine fine after this. I just tried Installing the latest mepis 3.3 instead, but it's the same.

Why does my machine suddenly take several tries to function correctly?

I just tried to boot up into XP as the first choice today, and the desktop blinked wildly for a while, and then the machine spontaneously rebooted.

What's goin' on?

The machine is about a year old, and it's based on a Gigabyte GA7 VAXP mobo, and I have an Aopen FX5200 based 256 MB graphicscard.
    Last edited by arioch; 02-07-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Could be a number of things:

Overheating
    Memory problem
    HDD failure
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

does sound like heat. does it do it if the PC is been off for a while?

are you overclocking?

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Originally posted by mrBen
    Could be a number of things:

Overheating
    Memory problem
    HDD failure
    lack of constant DC voltages...
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

CPU temp. 52 - 54
    casetemp. 48
    No overclocking

If the problem is heat, shouldn't the problems occur after the machine has been on for a while? After all, It does take a while for heat to develop right? The problems occur after the machine has been off for a longer period of time.
    Last edited by arioch; 02-07-2005 at 01:40 PM.

I agree with gehidore, sounds like a power supply issue. Lack of good power can cause all kinds of strange things to happen, including data loss and corruption.

Maybe a good idea to open up the case and go over everything that plugs in - cards, power cables, drive cables, etc. and ensure that each is thoroughly seated and making full contact. Sometimes just a little fan vibration can cause something to shake loose. This is also a good opportunity to remove any dust, which can cause electrons to go to strange places..
    We'll get thisright yet!

Another thing to try is to limit the power hungry devices, Hard drives, CDroms... pull out everything that isn't required to "boot" the os. Then run with that for a while.

and then if that works, get a bigger PSU ^_^
    May the seeds of wisdom fill your boots. They hurt under your feet. Hah.

I have:

1 lite-on burner
    1 floppydrive
    1 AMD 2100xp
    1 120 gb harddrive
    2x256 megs pc2700 DDRram
    1 Spire CPU fan
    1 17" monitor.

Shouldn't be anything a 300 watt powersupply can't handle... I've never had issues like this before.

Originally posted by arioch

Shouldn't be anything a 300 watt powersupply can't handle... I've never had issues like this before.
    PSU's go bad.

I agree with gehidore

Originally posted by gehidore
    PSU's go bad.
    Sounds like the power supply is flaking out. If that's not it, I would look to the motherboard, I'm currently replacing a GigaByte mobo for a client due to very similar symptoms, however their's was damaged in shipping. Thanks UPS!
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

I just checked the ramsticks individually, and that didn't do it. I have also de - and reattached all powercables and that didn't do it either. So it's propably a powersupply- turning-rotten issue. I'm also getting "pixel lines" now across the screen when I start it from cold now.

Someone once told me, that you never, unlike on Windows, got strange messages on Linux, so can someone explain "Unknown uniqueness 67620" reported in connection with the filesystem during start up?
    Last edited by arioch; 02-09-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Look at the voltages in BIOS and see if they faulter too much. If they do, buy a new PSU. And buy a nice one.

Ok. I just put in a new 400w powersupply and guess what. It didn't change a thing...

summary:

Ram: I have tried both sticks individually. No change.

Harddrive: Livecd's boot extremely slow, and run very sluggish once up. Propably not HD either.

It smells like my 6 months old graphics card. I sure hope it's not the mobo...