No network card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No network card

No network card

I am trying to get going with Freesco Linux (floppy) to use an older computer as a router. During the boot process, it says that there is no network card. There is a network card, and, under Win98 on the hard drive, the card works. This generic card is PNP, with no switches, but I looked up the IRQ (10) and the starting I/O address (D800 hex) in Win98, and used those during the setup, but the network card message still appears.

Does someone have insight as to where I should go from here? I am pretty comfortable with M$oft stuff, but a complete idiot with regard to Linux.

By the way, Freesco automatically recognizes a modem on the only serial port.

Thank you,
    Jan

Well I don't know anything about freesco but I do know you will have to figure out who made the NIC. Then you will have to load the driver.

Originally posted by stumbles
    Well I don't know anything about freesco but I do know you will have to figure out who made the NIC. Then you will have to load the driver.
    Stumbles,

Thank you for the help.

I am pretty sure that this NIC needs NE2000, and that I have a floppy with this driver. Should I look for a special Linux version of the driver?

How do I load the driver? I need real command specifics here. I have almost no Linux knowledge. This project was designed to give me a new router and also to help me learn about Linux.

Will this driver become part of the Freesco floppy? If not, then I guess there is little purpose to the Freesco floppy.

Why did Freesco see the modem but not the nic?

As I remember, this is a generic NIC, about two years old, purchased from NewEgg for less than the price of a pizza. It worked fine under Win 98, putting the computer on my home LAN for several years. It did not come with sausage or pepperoni.

Jan

You might want to try here at Freesco-FAQ and the Freesco Support Forums

I could be wrong but I think the driver name for the NE2000 is "ne".

I tried changing the BIOS setting to Legacy for IRQ 10, but this made no difference, and I am not even sure that it was the proper thing to do.

I reran the setup and set eth0 to 0, rather than trying to guess the IRQ and I/O. This was in one of the directions.

I also followed some of the other instructions I found at the Freesco source to which you sent me. I did a cat /proc/pci, and saw the following amidst the data dump:

Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor. Unkown device (rev 49).
    Vendor id=1282. Device id=9009.
    Medium devsel. IRQ 5. Master Capable Latency = 64. Min Gnt = 20. Max. Lat. = 40.
    I/O at 0xd800 .
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe5901000.

The I/O agrees with what Win98 uses, but the IRQ is different.

I Googled vendor id=1282 and one page says Davicom is the vendor. It mentions NE2000. A Google of this id plus the number 9009 yields no meaningful sites.

I seem to remember that I got floppy with NE2000 installation files when I purchased this NIC, but I cannot swear to that. The NIC-related floppies I have laying around are all NE2000 drivers.

A review of the zip-file modules download for Freesco shows that NE2000 is supported, and modules.htm. says that it is part of the floppy and need not be installed.

I will go to IRQ 5 in the BIOS and set that to Legacy. I will do that after I send this note, and I hope that you have some more ideas for me.

If I do get it to work, I will immediately send a note here.

Thanks,
    Jan

also make sure pnp=(plug n play) is disabled in the bios
    Linux reg. User # 298337

Is the network card already there?

Well, the last change made no difference. However, a really scary thought just occurred.

Despite the message during Freesco loading about "No network card at all!!!" clearly the system knows the vendor id and product number of the card. I am not able at this time to put it on a newtwork, but is it possible that the card is already working? Is there something definitive that I could use to verify whether Freesco, after it loads, believes that there is a network card at eth0?

If I put it on a network, can I ping it? If I could do this,, where can I find its IP address?

Jan

PnP

Originally posted by bsm2001
    also make sure pnp=(plug n play) is disabled in the bios
    There is no single PnP setting in this BIOS (An old Compaq). I think that setting each IRQ to Legacy is the same thing, but I am not sure. I hate to do that to all the IRQs, since I want to be able to return to Win98, but if someone can tell me for pretty sure that this is the right setting, I would write them all down so I could put things back, and then do it.

I did try setting IRQ 10 to Legacy; this is the one that Win98 uses for the card. That made no difference. Then I tried setting IRQ 5 to Legacy; this is the one that Freesco appears to assign to this card. That made no difference. Then the idea I just noted popped into my head. Is it possible that the card is actually recognized, despite the initial message?

Jan

More noodling around

I now have all the IRQs and DMAs set to Legacy, but I still get the no network card message. There is no IRQ assigned to a network card, and dmesg | grep eth gives a blank response. So it looks like Freesco still does not recognize the network card.

I cannot remember the command, but I got a response about no PCI cards found.

What steps would I take to load a driver? I could try to load the ne driver.

Jan

Can you pull out the card and post the information on the chip on the card.

Originally posted by Oratam
    Can you pull out the card and post the information on the chip on the card.
    There are bunches of letters, and some are UE-1205D. I Googled that and it says Davicom and then Archtek. Archtek is what the card was called when I bought it. I found a disk with Archtek Telecom and 10/1000 on it in my box of software, so I looked at it. There is a Linux folder. In there are a bunch of files and directions for how to use Make to make the driver, but the directions are in ChinEnglish, and I am not sure that I can follow them. They are pretty abstruse.

The file that came from Freesco does not list Archtek or Davicom or 9009 or 1205, so I suppose that I must use another driver.

If someone can help me from here I would appreciate it.

Jan
    Prof: How many kinds of mathematicians are there?
    Student: I imagine that there are i kinds of mathematicians.
    Prof: Not really.

How bad is the ChinEnglish?

Something along the lines of
    "First, place this folder in the hoshinyaru on your computer, and mehisabaru the drivers to make them work"

or is it
    "place folder. do now. then run file. run different file. we not know which file, just run random file until someting happen."

(if the first one, check babelfish or something to make sure none of the funny words translate out to "breathe with the dark fire of the dragon" or something....dragon fire can be detrimental to your NIC ^_^)
    May the seeds of wisdom fill your boots. They hurt under your feet. Hah.

Ethernet driver

I apologize to those who have taken time to assist me. I have been too busy to attend to this for the past few days. However, here is my current status.

I printed out the instructions, and I understand the first steps--I should make a new directory in Freesco, and copy dmfe.c and Makefile from a: to c:

I am now in the process of Googling instructions for the mount command, which I realize I need to use to look at the floppy. I will continue to post my progress.

Jan

floppy read

I was unsuccessful in looking at the floppy The instructions I have want me to look at fstab for a floppy drive location and a mounted read/write location, but I cannot find this file. I created a directory at the root called floppy, put the driver floppy disk in the drive, and tried the following command (copied from the instructions I found):

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

and I got a reply like:

mount point /mnt/floppy does not exist

The floppy disk is a Windows-readable floppy.

Any pointers from here?

Thank you,
    Jan

you need to make a directory for the mount point

mkdir /mnt/floppy
    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    cp ~root/file* /mnt/floppy
    ls /mnt/floppy