mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    cp ~root/file* /mnt/floppy
    ls /mnt/floppy
    Modorf,

I entered the mount command as shown above and received this message:

According to mtab /dev/fd0 is mounted on /mnt/bootdev

I tried umount /mnt/bootdev and got this message:

/mnt/bootdev device or resource busy

We are probably close, though, but I still need guidance.

Thank you,

Jan
    Prof: How many kinds of mathematicians are there?
    Student: I imagine that there are i kinds of mathematicians.
    Prof: Not really.

1. Your fstab file should live in your /etc directory.

2. You weren't in the /mnt/bootdev directory when you issued the umount command, were you? If so, that why you got the "device or resource busy" message. You would also get the error if any files on the floppy were open in any way.

Originally posted by DMR
    1. Your fstab file should live in your /etc directory.
    ls etc does not show a file named fstab. There is an mtab.

2. You weren't in the /mnt/bootdev directory when you issued the umount command, were you? If so, that why you got the "device or resource busy" message. You would also get the error if any files on the floppy were open in any way. [/B]
    I rebooted, signed in as root and did not change directories, did the mkdir, then tried the mount command, and received the same message.

I have no idea if files on the floppy were open. This time I simply left the Freesco boot floppy in the drive. I did not mount anything myself (clearly, I do not even know how to do that). Perhaps things are mounted during the Freesco startup.

I am still stuck at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to try to figure this out.

Jan

I'm honestly not very familiar with Freesco at all, but:

etc does not show a file named fstab. There is an mtab.
    The contents of the mtab file are auto/system-generated and contain info concerning the current state of all mounted filesystems (do not try to alter/edit that file). fstab, which is a static and editable file, does traditionally reside in /etc on *NIX systems as well, but I guess it's possible that Freesco could do something different in that aspect. The only thing I can suggest (again-because I'm not familiar with Freesco) is to do a global find to see if you can locate fstab:

find / -name fstab

However, that really isn't the root of your problem as far as I can tell. (More on that below)

...then tried the mount command, and received the same message... This time I simply left the Freesco boot floppy in the drive
    That makes sense: /mnt/bootdev was busy because your Freesco boot floppy (/dev/fd0) was mounted there. The system can't unmount a device from which it was booted; at least some files on the boot drive will always be in use.

Back to the original problem:

The dmfe.c file you mentioned is the source-code file for the driver for many NICs which use Davicom chipsets; the "tulip" drive will work with some Davicom chipsets as well, but I don't think it will work with your particular (9009) chipset.

I've looked at the "instructions" for compiling/installing the dmfe.c module, and yes- they are indeed written in "ChinEnglish". However, there may be hope- that module/driver has been around for ages, and might actually already exist (in pre-compiled form) on your system. I'm not sure this will work for Freesco, but try the following two commands (in sequence) and see what happens:

depmod -ae

modprobe dmfe

If you get no errors from the above, run this command and see if the dmfe driver shows up in the resulting list of loaded modules:

lsmod

(obviously- if you do get any errors, please tell us exactly what they are)

-> By the way: what is the exact kernel version of your Freesco install? If you don't know, the following command should tell you/us:

uname -r