Mount file system for rw on Knoppix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount file system for rw on Knoppix

Mount file system for rw on Knoppix

HellO!

How can I mount fs in knoppix for rw. I have a one partition that is vfat, and in knoppix fstab it looks like this:
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0

I edited the fstab file and added rw in the end like this:

/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x, rw 0

And umount & mounted , but still didn't work! THank you!

What was the mount error?
    During an actual emergency, this message would provide helpful information.

right click on the icon on the desktop of the partition you want and unmount it. then open up a terminal and type 'su -' and mount it as root. then you should be able to write to it
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

Thank you!
    I allready mounted it as root, but I still can't write to it! And there aren't any mount errors!

And other question, this is quite offtopic, but I didn't wan't to post another topic for this:

I give my knoppix CD to my friend, he has new computer, but the knoppix didn't find hes partitions! When I give my Slackware CD to my other friend, he created ext2 and swap partition, everything worked great, ecept he could't see hes Windows parititon ether! fstab didn't contain them, and when I try to just mount /dev/hda1, /dev/hdd, nothing worked! Does hard drives allso need drivers? And are modules the same things as drivers? How to mount these partitions? Thank you!

When I last used Knoppix (quite some time ago, but I doubt this has changed) you could just right-click on the drive and it had an option to "remount as rw" or something like that. The simple way to do it on the command line is as root "mount /dev/<device> -o rw,remount" or "mount /mnt/<mountpoint> -o rw,remount" would also work.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/l-knopx.html

This is the guide i use for knoppix system recovery.

Yup, if you right-click on the partition's desktop icon, there's a menu item for changing to read-write mode.

It's definitely buried in a sub-menu, something like "actions". Just try everything and you'll find it

I also suspect that you need to remove the space before rw in your fstab, if you're doing it that way.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Thank you guys!
    But now for my second question! I don't get it how to view thous partitions!

I give my knoppix CD to my friend, he has new computer, but the knoppix didn't find hes partitions! When I give my Slackware CD to my other friend, he created ext2 and swap partition, everything worked great, ecept he could't see hes Windows parititon ether! fstab didn't contain them, and when I try to just mount /dev/hda1, /dev/hdd, nothing worked! Does hard drives allso need drivers? And are modules the same things as drivers? How to mount these partitions? Thank you!

When you mount a partition, you mount it to a specific directory in the filesystem. Just navigate to that place, and you'll see the files.

For instance, from your fstab above, you are mounting /dev/hda2 to the directory /mnt/hda2. So just go there (cd /mnt/hda2 in a console) and you should be able to see your files (ls).

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Didn't work! I put LiveCD into my friends computer, booted it, and then type in console:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    I allso try:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -o vfat
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -vfat
    But I did get this:
    /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device
    What does it mean? What did I do wrong?

Is it a vfat partition? Or is it NTFS? And when you are specifying the type, you want -t (eg mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1)

Linux User #216794

My blog page

That error most likely means that that partition doesn't exist or the driver for the interface it is on hasn't been loaded, if the hard drive is SCSI or SATA, then the partition would most likely be sda1. Try "fdisk -l" to get a list of all the partitions that linux sees.

another thing

Sorry if this seems like i am making the obvious more obvious, but im in the military and i know that some things just slip by....but did you do mkdir /mnt/hda1 first PRIOR to mounting it. Cause there has to be a mount point created in order to mount it. sorry if this is not useful but i thought that id point that out.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Ubuntu 2.6.10 (Yay upgrade)
    1.2GHz Athlon XP
    1 GIG RAM
    ATI Radeon 9000

60Gig main with Ubuntu
    20Gig Share Drive

Thank you everybody!
    I try to mount it in /mnt/ allso, because /mnt/ existed, but still nothing! Its a fat partition.

My friend is not at home right now, so I can't test it now, but maybe the device is /dev/hda?

And sisnce I didn't want to create new topic for this question, I want to ask it here:

I created a 19GB partition with cfdisk Linux partition (83). But when I installed Slackware, it shows that it is a vfat partition and in fstab its listed as vfat partition, but when I do fdisk -l it is listed as Linux partition! I wan't it to be Linux, so can I change it somehow, without losing data from it to ext2 partition? Thank you!