Mount file system for rw on Knoppix - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount file system for rw on Knoppix

Once you have partitioned a drive, you need to create a filesystem on it before it is mountable.

So - in Slackware you will have used fdisk to create the partition, and allocated it to type 83, but you then need to create the filesystem. To do this, you need to run the following command:

mkfs /dev/hda1 which should create a filesystem of the type that you specified in fdisk.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

But I will lose all my files that way right? Strange, but all files are working on that partition!

About my friends hda! I allso try:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/
    And I get the same error: /dev/hda is not a valid block device!

When I run fdisk -l, nothing hapens! There is no partitions!!! What is wrong? My friend is not the first one, who can't see the partitions!

Originally posted by Yosuke_
    But I will lose all my files that way right? Strange, but all files are working on that partition!

About my friends hda! I allso try:

And I get the same error: /dev/hda is not a valid block device!

When I run fdisk -l, nothing hapens! There is no partitions!!! What is wrong? My friend is not the first one, who can't see the partitions!
    Wait - you ran fdisk on a partition and changed its filesystem type, but you didn't want to delete it? I'm confused.

You cannot (repeat cannot) mount a whole device (/dev/hda), it must be a partition on that device (/dev/hda1).

I know this is a pain, but I'm getting really confused by which partitions and which operating systems we are talking about here.

Can you specify what machines, operating systems, partitions and filesystems we are talking about here.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Sorry! I will try to explain

I asked two questions:
    1. about my partition problem:
    I created a Linux (83) partition with cfdisk, but didn't format it. I have now about 9GB files on that partition. In fstab it's file system type is listed as vfat, but when I run fdisk it is listed as Linux. If I will change my file system type to that partition, will I lose my files?

2. My friend has Windows XP, he only use it work playing games. He want to have Linux LiveCD, so he can listen music and watch videos with it, he likes KDE GUI, that is why he realy wants to have Linux LiveCD, but he doesn't wan't to install Linux.

I give him knoppix, but the problem is that knoppix (and other LiveCD's) can't see he's hard disk (where the Windows is installed and all his music are). I try to
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/
    and other mount combinations, but nothing worked! When I ran fdisk -l on hes computer, fdisk didn't list anything.

You cannot (repeat cannot) mount a whole device (/dev/hda), it must be a partition on that device (/dev/hda1).
    Please say it ain't true!
    Is there any way for my friend to access he's hard drive files? Thank you!