I'm trying to make a direct copy of a movie DVD, using k3b. When I choose Tools --> Copy DVD, it gives me a message saying something about "video transcoding" not being available yet, but I'll be OK if I have the ".vob" files and what not prepared. Well, OK, no problem, they're all there on the original DVD.

So I created a new video DVD project. Mounted the DVD and just dragged and dropped the whole DVD directory structure. But the free space indicator says that the total to be copied is 6GB, but the space on the disc is only something like 4GB, so I can't fit it all on a disc.

What's going on? Are there movie discs that are just too big to fit on burnable discs? And does this have anything to do with "video transcoding"? I can't see how, all I want to do is copy a string of ones and zeros...

By the way, I'm only trying to write the image file here. Figured it was sensible not to risk making any coasters until I have an image successfully read. Using 2.6.8 kernel with Debian, k3b worked straight away perfectly with CD-RW and CD-R discs. Until now, k3b rocks.

Not that anyone would lecture me on copyright infringement, but if you're interested... the DVD is a Nordic version of "fscking Åmål", a fantastic Swedish film that is hardly offensive at all, despite its title (Swedes use "fscking" a bit like "damned" I think). I have the English-subtitled version (called "Show Me Love"), but I can't seem to get hold of the Nordic version, which has Swedish subtitles - very useful for learning Swedish, especially when those teenagers start talking slang really fast. Anyway, it made my day discovering my Finnish friend has a copy. My argument is that copying his Nordic version counts as an educational fair use, given I have the English version!