Destination PORT unreachable conundrum

Thread: Destination PORT unreachable conundrum

Angry Destination PORT unreachable conundrum

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a dual PPro 200 running as a firewall and webserver with a cable modem. One day out of the blue, my wife's computer (running win xp pro) is no longer able to connect to the internet. It can see everything within the firewall, including remote desktop connection.

When I ping the gateway/firewall, it gives me a destination port unreachable. The odd part here is that I can ping the winxp machine from the linux box with no problems whatsoever..

I've tried changing IP addresses on the XP machine, with no change. As I mentioned, NOTHING has been changed or modified on the linux box as far as I can tell, and it seems as though the NIC is fine on the XP box, since I can communicate just fine on the internal network.

HELP!!

did you install service pack 2?

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Yes, I have service pack 2 installed on the winxp box. Like I mentioned, this happened in the course of a day. My wife was able to check her email in the morning, and in the afternoon when she used her computer again, *poof*, no more 'net connections. I have the firewall settings on the xp box set to the defaults, BTW.

*bump*

Any ideas on this one? I've played around with routing tables, but nothing's really working. I am REALLY stumped on this one, guys. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a Linux firewall in place?? If so disable your XP firewall and see what happens, I have watched SP2 for XP cause strange things on some machines....
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

If you want to rule out the XP SP2 thing why don't you boot your XP machine off a knoppix cd and see if that can connect ok. Might be worth a shot......
    If you remain calm while those around you panic, you probably haven't realised the seriousness of the situation!

Try sticking the following into a file, name it whatever.reg and then double click to insert it into the registry.

XP SP2 Firewall Setting (off)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\Standard Profile]
    "EnableFirewall"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainPr ofile]
    "EnableFirewall"=dword:00000000

Works for me

Biz
    Bizza
    --------------------------------------
    Peace, Man!
    Registered Linux user #297724

I don't think I've ever seen a "destination port unreachable" error in response to a ping. It's really strange because ping packets don't use destination or source ports.
    Are you able to ping other devices on the local network without getting that error message?

I think the best thing to help troubleshoot your problem would be a packet sniffer such as Ethereal(www.ethereal.com). There is a version available for Windows.
    A packet sniffer will tell you if there is anything peculiar about the ping packets you are transmitting or receiving.
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.

Just like cowanrl said, ping echoes don't use ports, but that particular error message (I believe) indicates that the packets are reaching their destination, but not being accepted by ip on the destination machine; meaning the host is reachable but not responding. Again let me stress I'm not positive...
    Have you installed any updates recently? SP2 borked a couple of things on my xp machine, and it broke my buddy's ethernet card. Maybe try to reinstall tcp/ip on the windows machine?

Ok,

What I've tried so far: I loaded up a Knoppix cd, and I could connect to the internet with no problems! The xp box does have SP2, and I've tried it with and without the xp firewall (since I have a Linux firewall), as well as static and dynamic ip addressing on the LAN to no avail.

I've also tried merging Bizza's registry entries with no improvement to internet access.

My next steps are to remove tcp/ip and re-load the network card, and then try ethereal. Aside from that, I don't know what to do short of reloading win xp. Joy.

Thanks for all the comments thus far, guys!

Cool

It's working again!!

I uninstalled the network card, restarted the system, and had the winxp box automatically re-install the network card and viola! The system now has internet access once again, even with the XP firewall turned on.

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions guys! They were able to get my mind rolling along and get this thing fixed!

-Tackleberry