XP/Knoppix HDD problems

Thread: XP/Knoppix HDD problems

XP/Knoppix HDD problems

I just reformatted my HD, put a dualboot of Knoppix and XP Pro on it, with a large fat32 partition between them to share...

now Windows can't see the damn partition after I write to it in linux...

I checked in the "manage" section when you right-click "my computer", and checked the "disk management" utility, and it reads the partition as being there, but it won't let me access it or interact with it in any way...

anyone got anything to help?
    May the seeds of wisdom fill your boots. They hurt under your feet. Hah.

When you created the fat32 partition, did you do it with Linux, or XP? I have had a similar setup where I made a fat partition with cfdisk and Windows couldn't access it. When I formatted it as fat32 with Windows disk management, both Windows and linux could read/write without issues.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

both actually...

first i did it with qtparted when i initially set up the computer, but windows wouldn't recognize it at all...

then i did it with win's disk management utility, and it read it up until the point when i booted linux and wrote to it in linux, whereupon it promptly lost the ability to see it outside the disk management tool....

That's really weird

I've got two systems with a shared fat32 drive, one was a dual boot Win2K and Slackware, the other I boot with a Slax live cd. Both can read/write the fat partition without affecting Windows. Also, the dual boot machine is a second partition on the main drive, the Slax box is a sperate physical drive.

Which OS was installed first, Windows or Linux?
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

win. Just installed Fed 3 over Knoppix, hopefully it works better in that than it did....

Fixed it, don't know why, but Fedora and windows can now both read/"write" to it (still workin some bugs out, like the fact that only root can write to it, but i'll figure that one out...)

knoppix must not like windows...

Originally posted by YeNotGuilty
    (still workin some bugs out, like the fact that only root can write to it, but i'll figure that one out...)
    I had that problem with my USB drive, which is fat. It has to do with the way it's mounted via fstab. Here's the entry that worked for me:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat noauto,users,rw 1 1

You should already have an entry for your hard drive drive in fstab, should just need to add the users group to it.
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Maybe you created a FAT partition, but didn't create a FAT *filesystem* (to do this you would use mkdosfs under linux). parted or qtparted on their own wouldn't give you a FAT filesystem.

Maybe Fedora decided to do this automagically, whereas Knoppix didn't

Perhaps.

also linux will allow you to create more than one (primary) partition. ms$ wont. you have to watch creating partitions for windows. it has wierd issues with extended partitions also.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

In the end, I fixed it with my Fedora installation, now the partition can be touched by both OSs and I figured out the fstab config that lets users write to it (changed default to user and it worked once i un- and re-mounted it...

thanks for the help, all!