So what got you into Linux? - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: So what got you into Linux?

Originally posted by madcompnerd
    I'm in no way flustered. I was simply pointing out a massive gap in his post. And it's really not a fair comparison, and frankly it's an insult to Linux. I get kind of annoyed at Mac heads at times; if you think there are gnu zealouts then you've never met a Mac zealout.
    Seriously though, BSD's and Linux' are very different. While they often feel the same, it's worse than saying Mandrake and Slackware are similar!
    I agree, I use all different OS`s, simply out of fun, intrigue etc, but perhaps you should`ve worded it slightly differntly, to mee it seemed lie you were screaming at the due, instead of pointing him in the right direction... not meant to be an attack on you, just a thought dude...

But then, any zealot is dangerous, although we have all been one for something at some stage, don`t ya think??
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

I love these types of threads!

What got me into linux
    By Gallienus.....

Well an Angel appeared to me in a dream and said under this sign you will conquer.....(it's was a penquine with a big S on it's chest)...jk....I watch to much History Channel can you tell?

Anyway.....I'm an old OS/2 user. When IBM dropped it I was stuck using win95 but I was always curious about linux. I'd heard about linux but the thought of compiling everything and lack of driver support kept me from trying it out. It seemed like to much of a hassle for an OS that might not even support my sound card.

When I replaced old aptiva with a new dell I decided to try out linux...I'd always seen red hat (7.0 I think) at best buys so I got a set of disks and installed it. I had an old zoom modem so I could get upgrades and surf the web. That's about all I did with it. Just download programs install them play a few games but I never "used" it so to speak. I also tried out Cladera Desktop Linux on the aptiva too, but never really did anything with that either.

Eventually, I put a second hard drive in the Dell and decided to really try to learn and use Linux. I went with Mandrake since everything I read said that was the easiest to install and use, and because Stables actually had it on their shelves. Something always seemed to break on Mandrake and after using 7.2 and then 8.0 I figured I'd learned enough about linux to try something different.

Debian 3.0 just came out so I went with that. From what I had read people loved Debian despite the fact it was supposed to be hard to install and configure. Plus when I was looking into linux distros Slackware just seemed to damn scary for me to try. I was shocked when I installed Debian. Everything I read made it seem like it would take days to get it set up to where I could use it. Well the install went fine and when I rebooted it started with X and everything...left me wondering what people were making all the fuss about.

Well for a while I was a happy Debianite or Debianer whatever you get the point. But then I started reading about the new version of X and gnome and kde and welllll...if you want new Debian really isn't the distro for you, stable secure..easy to manage well then Debian is perfect. So when I got a Slack 8.1 disk(with the latest xfree86 4.3, gnome 2.4, and kde 3.1) with a copy of linux format I tried it for a while and then when back to Debian.

I didn't forget Slackware though and when Slack 9 was released I made the switch and that's where I've been through slack 10.1. I did have a dubious flirtation with Ubuntu 4.10 for amd64 for about 2 weeks but it's a little soon to be switching to a 64 bit version of linux.

And that's my 2 cents.

PS
    How's this for a first time noob posting.
    My very first Linux for newbies post
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

Windows-- 98 made the face cut, 98SE made the back cut and XP was the wedge that knocked the tree off the stump!

xp made my final decision.

i had been using PWS (personal web server) to learn web development. this came installed for windows 98. when i purchased a new computer, XP home pre-installed, i learned microsoft decided to not support it anymore and if i wanted to continue developing, i would need to purchase xp pro so i could have IIS installed.

so i let me wife have that cpu and moved over to linux.

Re: I love these types of threads!

Originally posted by Gallienus
    But then I started reading about the new version of X and gnome and kde and welllll...if you want new Debian really isn't the distro for you
    It's too bad you never learned about the branches. Otherwise you could've had it all with Debian, stable and bleeding edge. I know I do.

firefox, thats how

8 months ago I began playing with different web browsers because of huge security holes in IE. I discovered how wonderful firefox was and learned about open source software which lead me to linux. I was too afraid of it until I bought a book from the No Starch Press titled, "Linux for Non-Geeks." It came with fedora core 1 and it held your hand through installation and basically everything that I use a computer for. I stopped using linux shortly after that because I stopped paying for internet connectivity which I personally needed for linux because I am always trying to figure out how to fix problem X. Now I have broadband internet again and I am using Core 3 as my primary OS at home. I ultimately will buy Linspire 5.0 when available. While I don't mind a minor hack here and there, I do not like having to do major hacks for things that are just suppossed to work. I will continue to use linux because of security, low low price if not free, and open source model licenses.

Re: firefox, thats how

Awsome to hear that allec! Rock on!

Oh I knew about the different branches, stable, testing, and unstable. When I used Debian, 3.0r1 wasn't even released yet. At that point if I remember correctly there were quite a few postings in debian-user about testing and unstable breaking systems or parts of systems. Also back then I was on dial-up and I couldn't see downloading all that bleeding edge stuff only to have it break something and then having to roll whatever broke back so it would work again.
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

I'm coming up on my first Linux install as soon as my CDs get here.... (I got sick of bad CRCs from downloading the iso.s so I shelled out the 40$ and ordered Mandrakelinux)

I'm intrigued by linux because it's open source, inexpensive, and non-capitalist.

A Punk Rock OS.

Originally posted by Truthfatal
    I'm coming up on my first Linux install as soon as my CDs get here....
    Smart move joining JL before your first install, you'll find a wealth of helpful knowledge here; mostly friendly, some with a hint of gentle sarcasm...
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Originally posted by Gallienus
    Oh I knew about the different branches, stable, testing, and unstable...At that point if I remember correctly there were quite a few postings in debian-user about testing and unstable breaking systems or parts of systems.
    I've never heard of such things breaking anyone's system. I run a mix of stable, testing, and unstable and have never had my system break. Though, I will admit that occassionally individual programs are broken(a sad fact for any bleeding software).

Not that I'm trying to "convert" you. If you're happy with Slack, that's great. I just wanted to clear the air.

What got me started was more of an interest in learning something different, coupled with a burning desire to find a way to no longer have to use Windows anymore.

I started with Debian (actually a poor choice at the time, because I had to jigdo 26 floppies worth of information, plus the boot and root floppies). I then wised up and went out and bought the Red Hat Linux 9 Bible, which was (almost) a blessing (actually couldn't install it because the installer hung on detecting the firewire drivers)

After playing with this for a month or two, figuring out that I needed drivers to pretty much do anything with it, i admit that I re-installed Windows over it, mainly because it was frustrating me and it was a computer that I actually used to get schoolwork done.

Later in my schooling, our IST club decided to take a trip to LinuxWorld Expo in January 04 in New York. (Bought a $1 copy of Debian and got a free copy of Fedora 1, a friend of mine won a free copy of SuSE 9 Pro...)

Started getting back into it, but it wasn't until I got my hands on a Knoppix 3.4 disk with the Knoppix Hacks book that I started getting back into Linux rather heavily. In fact, the only reasons I don't use it full-time now are:

1) Winmodem in my laptop. Bah. Conexant yet. Gotta get me the drivers that work right...
    2) Dreamweaver. Since (for now) I'm gonna be the temporary webmaster to at least one (maybe two, depending) website(s), and I haven't been able to work out NVU quite yet, I'll work on that later, but I am starting to like Dreamweaver...maybe wine will be able to fix this problem...
    3) Girlfriend. Her laptop's battery went *thbthbthbthb* and died, so she needs to use Winblows to do everything for her classes. And she hijacks mine. Bleh.
    4) Distro troubles...I'm just having trouble finding a distro that I absolutely like. I installed Knoppix and I liked it, but it had issues with my shared FAT32 drive. I right now have Fedora 3 installed, and the only trouble I'm having with it is package/program installation issues. I did like apt-get in Knoppix, so I may try Deb next as a CD install...
    May the seeds of wisdom fill your boots. They hurt under your feet. Hah.

In high school I needed a free C++ compiler, so I installed Red Hat.
    I now run Debian, but I am glad I got started.
    Debian Sid - Waimea

Originally posted by YeNotGuilty
    I did like apt-get in Knoppix, so I may try Deb next as a CD install...
    If you like KDE, check out Mepis(Debian-based). Check my sig for link.

Originally posted by psych-major
    Smart move joining JL before your first install, you'll find a wealth of helpful knowledge here; mostly friendly, some with a hint of gentle sarcasm...
    I'm one of those folks who likes to ask for help before I do something stupid, not after