So what got you into Linux? - Page 8

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: So what got you into Linux?

What are MSTDs?

@Arjay: well, the professors in software composition play a big role in that process. They are using *nix machines themselves and for the students there's a computer pool with Sun workstations. On the very first day a freshman's being thrown into cold water and somehow has to cope with these babies.
    Soon it's getting obvious that one's more successful and productive when using Linux at home, too, especially when you get the pitiful looks by fellow students saying "oh, poor guy, he still has to solve the assignments using Windows".

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Microsoft verson of Sexually Transmitted Disease
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Yeah, im forced to use XP because i have to help my parents do stuff on the com n i have to access win-only stuff .

MSTD-MicroSoft Transmitted Diseases

It always makes me smile when i talk about them, someone should come up with a site entailing M$ dangers lol in a fun way for us linux users.

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

Originally posted by deathadder
    Microsoft verson of Sexually Transmitted Disease
    Ah, okay. Guess that term hasn't made it into German lingo yet. Well, considering that MSÜK doesn't sound as cool, people would probably call it MSTD even in German.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Really?I think MSUK looks nice (ie.M$ SUK)Well thats my 2 cents worth

Xbaxe

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

For me, it was because of good old Leo Laporte on TechTV's The Screen Savers. (Before they were G4 and the show started to suck, along with everything else on the network).

He mentioned it a few times, and said that Mandrake was probably the easiest one to start with. I like learning new things about computers, so I dual booted and gave it a try. I liked it, but didn't like the dual boot, so I got myself a new pc and put Windows on 1 and tried RH8 on the other.

I have to use Windows all day for my job, and for a few things at home, too, but I'm doing my best to move everything over to Linux.
    "We're on a mission from God"
    --Elwood Blues

Registered Linux User #296184
    Get Counted. http://counter.li.org

Originally posted by XbaxeSysAdmin
    Always practice safe hex...
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Originally posted by psych-major
    Always practice safe hex...
    Oh, so that's what parity bits are here for.

Originally posted by XbaxeSysAdmin
    Yeah, im forced to use XP because i have to help my parents do stuff on the com n i have to access win-only stuff .

It always makes me smile when i talk about them, someone should come up with a site entailing M$ dangers lol in a fun way for us linux users.
    I actually made one back when I first joined this site and put that on my sig. If I ever come across a backup of it, Ill repost it.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Cool! Well now i am totally using debian ( worked out my mouse problem , now its only beef is with sliders).I think its much nicer than XP in terms of customisability and eyecandy.I think i should update my MSTD free level to 95%

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    Courtesy of bash.org

my xp was finished with hardware changes

so here i am working on an operating system i know nothing about, but i like it so far, i downloaded this at fileplanet 3 dvd's worth and put it in the cabinet, there it sat. i was makin hardware changes alot ,xp finally decided the last boot was here , this machine is something i conjured up from spare parts and i put my hard drive and dvd burner i had from my HP a296 n pc which fried one evening. so im sitting here thinkin well "no more xp what should i do now . then i remembered those DVD's i had in the cabinet, so here i am guys with a linux machine , any help or advice would be welcomed.http://justlinux.com/forum/newreply....te=1&p=796809#

So what distro did you install? Whats working what might not be up to snuff?.

ed

If you have a question about linux, search both here and http://google.com/linux and see if it's answered already or not.

If not, then start a new thread. The most common reason that questions keep getting asked is lack of knowing exactly what to search for!
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!

my machine specks. brookings coppermine 733, 256 mb of ram intel onboard grafix, dvd burner,120gig hd, not sure which version of linux, shrike i believe, like i said i downloaded it, is it usable under gnu licence? seem to have alot of server capabilitys

Quote Originally Posted by NighttimePunk
    i downloaded it, is it usable under gnu licence?
    All Linux distributions are usable under the GNU licence, although they do not always contain GNU licenced software only. If you want a true GNU system, install the Debian distribution.

If you want us to help you, we need more specific information. We need to know what distro you have installed and you need to post one question a time with a meaningful title in the respective forum. If you want to know what software exists in Linux to accomplish certain tasks, ask in the software section. If you have a problem installing your sound card, head over to the hardware section etc. Please don't use this thread for support, though.

Either way, welcome to the show.

Edit

Google just told me that Shrike is RedHat 9. Never too late to learn from a newbie. However, I suggest you refer to RH9 when asked for your distro as it's the more commonly known name.

/Edit
    Last edited by Parcival; 04-07-2006 at 01:57 AM.