Change files on LiveCD!

Thread: Change files on LiveCD!

Change files on LiveCD!

Hello!
    I have downloaded knoppix-STD LiveCD distribution! Its owsome! So much tools! I love it! Maybe it sounds stupid, but I don't like the wallpaper! I know, I ca change it, but I want other wallpaper after I boot into fluxbox!

So I decited to open ISO file and owerwrite the old wallpaper with the new one! The only problem is I don't know how to do it! If I extract all the files from ISO into directory, change the wallpaper and then make is with "mkisofs" I don't think it will boot after I burn it into cd! Can anyone please tell me how can I change the wallpaper file on the disk so the iso will be still bootable? Thank you!

Easiest way would be to "make a persistent home directory" - you can find it in the Knoppix KDE menu.

It lets you use a floppy or maybe a USB stick to store your /home directory on.

custom live CD

I believe there is software that creates custom Live CDs, though I've never tried them out. I found the following website, among other things, upon searching for "custom linux Live CD" in google. It sounds pretty cool. Try it out and give us a review.

http://www.linux-live.org/

I've never done it myself, but on Knoppix.net, there are a couple specific How-tos on remastering your own Knoppix variant. No doubt, this is why there are so many Knoppix variants out there!

You can START with any Knoppix variant, when customizing your own. So, just follow the instructions on that how-to, starting from knoppix-STD.

Knoppix.net also has a discussion forum specific to remastering Knoppix.

Links to the how-tos are here and here.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Originally posted by root.veg
    Easiest way would be to "make a persistent home directory" - you can find it in the Knoppix KDE menu.

It lets you use a floppy or maybe a USB stick to store your /home directory on.
    Separately, but in the same menu, you can save all settings, i.e. wallpaper, network settings, internet favorites, etc. to the aforementioned floppy or USB stick.

Then when you boot knoppix, you'll want to enter something like:
    knoppix26 myconf=scan <OR>
    knoppix26 myconf=/dev/sda1 <for a USB stick>
    and this will bring it back up exactly the way you left it.

Broken record here...Slax does this automatically if it detects a USB stick or floppy in the machine at shutdown/startup.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030