No lp-cups? How do I print now?

Thread: No lp-cups? How do I print now?

No lp-cups? How do I print now?

I am using Debian with cups and kde 3.2. My printer works fine, I can print in any KDE program just fine (like kword or kwrite). But when I try to print in anything else (like mozilla or the gimp) it of course asks for the command and I dont know what to enter. But default I know its lpr, but lpr dosnt work because my printcap file is empty. I have searched around and found that I sould be able to use the lp-cups command to print, but in debian there is no such command I guess.

Does anyone know how to print in Debian?

im not at my box right now but i think its lpr-cups

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

lpr-cups is still not a command

Just do what I do -- print it to a file (it'll be PostScript format), then use gs to send the file to the printer. Who needs a spooler?

gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=/dev/lp0 -sDEVICE=ljet4 inputfile.ps

Change /dev/lp0 to your printer's port's device node, and change ljet4 to whatever print driver you use (gs -help gives a list of possible devices, or see linuxprinting.org).

But in all seriousness, if you can't get the spooler to work (I never could), this might be an option.

i will but only as a last resort... if anyone knows how to get lpr-cups working in debian please let me know!

found it. If anyone is interested when using gnome the command is gtklp (sarge). I am sure there is a separate one for KDE too but I use gnome so I dont know it. Anyways, I hope this helps some one because it really is useful.

install cupsys-bsd for the cli version of lpr.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤