Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Thanks I will try that.
    http://tpspace.net <<<< My Blog
    http://tpspace.net/wallpaper<<<wallapaper i use
    registered linux user #455172
    ubuntu user # 23820

http://nolimit974.mybrute.com<<< good game

Whoa, I hadn't been paying attention to my point production lately. Apparently those SMP advanced methods work units are worth a lot of points. As I recall even when I was running my dual core I was still only pulling about 400 points per day. Suddenly I seem to be straddling the 3000 point per day line. Granted I did upgrade to a quad, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't explain the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Whoa, I hadn't been paying attention to my point production lately. Apparently those SMP advanced methods work units are worth a lot of points. As I recall even when I was running my dual core I was still only pulling about 400 points per day. Suddenly I seem to be straddling the 3000 point per day line. Granted I did upgrade to a quad, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't explain the whole thing.
    Hmm... I guess I should turn on the advanced methods then (I turned off as it said it was unstable in the configuration script). I think the highest I've ever gotten was 400-800 points for a WU (500000 step). I have two very old machines crunching that take a few days to a week as is, but one faster that seems to do two a day. I'll turn that option on the faster one and see if I catch a higher point WU.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Climbing... climbing.... ever climbing.... now 71st place with 84 completed WU's!

blackbelt_jones: you are in my sights sitting at that 60th spot... and I've noticed no activity in the last year - tsk tsk. WHAT are you going to do when I pass you up???

Ha ha... ok enough plugging for the team - we fell to page 3... must find more pc's to convert...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

SMP vs. GPU

I was curious which of the two clients would produce faster (or more) results - the SMP or GPU client. I know it depends on the hardware, so lets pick some high end hardware as an example for this question.

Say for SMP, you will have a Quad-Core clocked at 3.2GHz with 4GB RAM on a 64-bit kernel.

Then for the GPU, lets have two NVIDIA 8800GT using the latest build of the NVIDIA driver set.

Would having 4 clients (one on each core) averaging 1GB a piece of RAM come out on top, or would two clients using the highly optimized code for a GPU come out on top with two highly advanced GPUs (I think the 8800GTs come with 512MB on board + system RAM).

I was poking around the official site and did not find much comparison of GPU vs. SMP, just that both are considered high end. Anyway - your thoughts and/or experiences? Thanks~

-Mark Twain

muuhhhaaaaaahhhaaaaaahhaaaaaa You'll never catch me...
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by techwise
    muuhhhaaaaaahhhaaaaaahhaaaaaa You'll never catch me...
    Probably not... I leave the small farm at work on because work pays the electricity bill.

I doubt I'll leave my desktop running full time for a mixture of not wanting to pay a high electric bill and not wanting to stress my main hardware too much. If my desktop goes down I don't have the money to fix it.

I do like seeing the spike in numbers though when I let it run for a little while.

EDIT => As of this morning I did pass blackbelt_jones and am in 59th position - wooooooooo~~~ (Folding is like a crack addiction... but healthy)
    Last edited by trilarian; 11-22-2008 at 03:44 PM.

-Mark Twain

Tril, I was really directing that at everyone, not you in particular.

Im just lucky enough to have installed 2 pretty strong servers here at work and have been running them in with FAH. And I upgraded the ram on a bunch of workstations just so I could keep FAH running while people work during the day. RAM is cheap and FAH is fun :-)

Im actually gonna have to stop FAH on the better of the 2 servers soon because it will be going into production, so I expect my numbers will begin to drop quite a bit.

Anyhow, we need lots more folders so that we can get our team ranking to go in the other direction. And to everyone out there with a PS3, those are great to fold on so get them cranked up.

Cheers

Mike
    $whatis microsoft

I'm getting curious to see what this current WU is worth...

Ran a test with two GPUs running and they did 1500 points from running 7pm - 12pm. The following day they gave me 6500. About halfway through the next day I took them down and had accumulated ~3500 points.

I then setup the SMP client to run on a quad-core and it has been running now for almost 24 hours on all 4 cores and is still on the same WU (~60% on a 500,000 step WU - the GPUs were getting 250,000 step WU - but doing two at a time...).

So I'm curious to see if this WU is just a monster to crunch out and gives me a 10k spike, or if the GPUs are simply more efficient. Report back soon...

EDIT => Well, it finished and gave about the same point level as other 500,000 step WUs my other boxes put out. Took that down and powered up the GPUs - both grabbed a 500,000 step and were giving 1% updates every 7 minutes versus the SMP giving 1% updates every 15-20 minutes.

So the GPUs are very much more efficient - which seems odd since you would think 4 cores at a high clock speed with 8x the RAM would go faster than two theoretical cores (GPUs). However, not only does the GPU complete the WUs faster, its doing two at once...

So in my case NVIDIA 8800GT >>> 3.2GHz Quad-Core for Folding.
    Last edited by trilarian; 11-26-2008 at 04:03 PM.

-Mark Twain

If I remember correctly, GPU's will produce more points per hour than a regular CPU, but they are more limited in the type of work units that they can process. Which makes sense since they're primarily designed for graphics and some problems won't map nicely onto that sort of processing.

Also, keep in mind that GPU's are already hugely parallel in a way that your quad core can only dream of. Your 8800 GT has 112 stream processing units that do the actual number crunching for the application. So although they may be clocked slower, they're still capable of significantly more work when provided with the right problem.

Woohooo! I think I'm gonna pull off my first 100,000 point week ever.

And speaking of GPUs, what that nVidia Tesla all about? Looks like its built for GPU based applications only, it doesnt even have a video out port on it.

Are there plans for a linux compatible gpu version of folding?

Cheers

M
    $whatis microsoft

I'm ba-ack!
    I'm gonna need a few of those gpu's if I'm going to compete with you guys though
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=118829
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by techwise
    Are there plans for a linux compatible gpu version of folding?
    From their website:

Program in C for Windows or Linux
    So should work fine as is. If you want, give me the $10k and I'll let you know how I got it to work with my Linux box.

EDIT => HA! Also found one already setup for you here.

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    I'm ba-ack!
    Welcome back! I think you'll do fine. I'm averaging lower days now as I don't want an absurd electric bill. It was nice getting 10,000 PPD off of a single computer in the cluster, but just the heat it gave off was impressive.

-Mark Twain

Wow, this: http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/08/o...get-a-workout/

Should go nicely with:
    EDIT => HA! Also found one already setup for you here.
    That is a wicked looking number cruncher.

M
    $whatis microsoft

I'm back to folding with a 2.6ghz quad core phenom, and a radeon hd 4670 w/ 1gb ddr3...I'm at #31 in the team, and I havent folded in quite some time, so hopefully this'll bring my ranking up
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504