I just folded my first protein - Page 33

Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Where'd everybody go?!?!

I just passed into the 50,000 range. I should pass je_fro sometime in November.

And I also have a Dell PowerEdge with a 1.8 Ghz Xeon processor in a rack mount available to me now. As soon as I figure out what all the switches and toggles on the front of it do, I'll get it started. It has Windows 2000 server on it. I couldn't start Ubuntu on it. ?? Maybe that's because it's 64 bit?? I need to pop the case and see what I have.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

I'm still here!
    I have to stop foldingathome on my main rig very often because sometimes I do "foldingforwork" as I like to call it.
    I wish we could get sun binaries, then I'd be able to throw about 6 more cpu's at it, 24hours a day.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I just more than doubled my folding power on my main rig. Dual core at a higher clock speed than my old single.

Ubuntu should be fine on a 64 bit CPU unless that's some screwy Itanium processor. But I didn't think that anyone except HP still used those.

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Here ya go tweekers:
    This guy wrote a few utilities so you can have a little eye-candy while the folding is going on... http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/mirror/...m/rph/fah.html

If you're a gentoo user, there's an experimental ebuild here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.c...71&action=view
    try it in an overlay if you want....(it's not perfect, but it works for now and you can uninstall when a better ebuild is written)

If you don't use gentoo you can just grab http://stier.dynu.com/~myportage/dis...0060903.tar.gz unpack it, and do 'make DESTDIR="/" install'. Then cd to your foldingathome/clientx directory and run them.

Some of the deps include:
    >=sci-chemistry/rasmol-2.7.2.1.1-r1
    >=media-gfx/povray-3.6.1-r1
    >=media-gfx/imagemagick-6.2.8.0

The rest of the deps you should have...and if you grab the precompiled versions make sure they are on your PATH, (i.e. /usr/local/bin)
    Last edited by je_fro; 09-13-2006 at 08:54 AM.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

P.S. I'd be folding right now except for this:

# uptime
    07:46:12 up 1 day, 16:53, 11 users, load average: 3.73, 3.72, 3.14

--Andrew Morton on RMS

je_fro,

Isn't that the same thing that finstall gets for you? I have seen that before somewhere. I never got it to work though.

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Hey, i just folded my first protein late last night and i have 4 more proteins at 30-50 percent.

Welcome to the team!

I am sure that this has been said somewhere and i just havn't been searching log enough but i was wondering, What determines your score?

I believe that each work unit is assigned a certain number of points, so when you send back the result you get that many points. I assume the number of points is based on the complexity or length of the work unit you get.

This is beginning to become an addiction, ive gone from folding on 3 cpu's to folding on 7 cpu's.

More power Scotty!

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/29/fo...e_to_use_gpus/

"Palo Alto (CA) - Stanford University's Folding@Home project today announced a new software that will enable the use of graphics cards within the distributed computing project. Project leaders will tap into the floating point horsepower of graphics chips and hope to see a massive jump in processing power that can lead to more research results in less time."

Bah, only runs on high-end ATI chips. No way I'm spending that much and then having to deal with ATI drivers.

Yay. Just joined the team.

I had to swallow my pride as this project is from Stanford and I went to UC Berkeley. But, I believe Stanford's project to be more noble than Cal's SETI@home.