I just folded my first protein - Page 17

Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

yeah...

you can thank thaddeus for that. looks like it will be our team logo.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

MUUUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

Dantrag is finally mine!
    MINE!!!
    AHAHHHAAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

--Andrew Morton on RMS

Did anybody else notice as of late that je_fro's posts more and more resemble his avatar? Poor fella, he probably failed to took his eyes off in time from the screen with the helices.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I was almost finished with my first WU when I left for class this morning.

I just got home and its started a new one thats going to take 37 days and it didn't count the one from this morning???

I checked the log file and it says that the core was corrupted and it downloaded a new one. Could this have caused my work on the first WU to have been either erased or not acknowledged? And whats with the 37 days?

EDIT: According to the site, I'm not doing anything either.
    Last edited by pz Mike zq; 04-11-2005 at 01:32 PM.

The corrupted core could be the cause of the first protein from not being counted. The 37 day thing is a time limit, if you don't finish it within that time it stops trying to fold that protein and sends it to someone else who will fold it faster. Quite unlikely that your protein will take that long. Rarely do they take longer than a week on a PII running 24/7 so anything more than that and they'll fold faster.

I'm working on a WU that is taking 30 minutes per frame for 250 frames (141/250). Its odd, because most of them take about 10 minutes average wile I'm useing the machine
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Originally posted by thaddaeus
    I'm working on a WU that is taking 30 minutes per frame for 250 frames (141/250). Its odd, because most of them take about 10 minutes average wile I'm useing the machine
    I seem to get large WU, too, both that are currently folding count 400 frames. Now I have two PIII/500MHz folding 24/7, and like in your case they take ~30min/frame which results about in one week of folding time... and they don't give that many points either. Well, they still add up to the team effort and that's what finally counts. Microsoft, we're coming.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

My WU has been going for a week and it's still only a little over half way done on a P4 1.6. Beat that

Originally posted by thaddaeus
    When you say 10 minutes average, you are refering to a ten minute ave for finish a frame right?
    :wq

Are these large WU's worth the time it takes to fold them? I mean, I know the root of this is to "donate" our collective processing power, but couldn't we fold smaller ones faster and be more effective?

Yes 10 min average per frame
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

sort of...

Originally posted by pz Mike
    Are these large WU's worth the time it takes to fold them? I mean, I know the root of this is to "donate" our collective processing power, but couldn't we fold smaller ones faster and be more effective?
    It's a trade off...if you have a powerful computer, do the bigpackets. If not, don't select that option and do the smaller ones. You are more richly rewarded (karmically and pointswise) for doing the more computationally expensive projects. Not all projects are created equally, so if you have like a gig of ram and a 2 GHz processor do the big ones.
    (I'm not a folding guru, but there are some on the FAH forum...perhaps they can shed some light on your question...I don't have time to research it right now)

--Andrew Morton on RMS

As of 15:43 april 12th we are 26 days away from MS!

I think we can get them before the end of April if we add enough new users!

I'm new to the team, but soon my xbox will be modded to fold, then that will be 3 comps folding here. I'm trying to get my friends to have it going during the day while at class and during the night while sleeping. Some fail to see the bigger picture and the value.

EDIT: I really just finished folding my first protein!!!! Yay!!! Hopefuly many many more to come.
    Last edited by pz Mike zq; 04-12-2005 at 08:21 PM.

I'm really getting concerned, cs.lmu.edu has been carrying us very well thus far, but his hourly average has really been falling lately. But as luck would have it, all the new users are able to make up cs.lmu.edu's losses
    :wq