I just folded my first protein - Page 18

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

well, i think i've added over 2000 points today...i think i'm doing my part!

Originally posted by happybunny
    well, i think i've added over 2000 points today...i think i'm doing my part!
    You have no idea how jealous I am....
    :wq

Not sure exactly how many points i added today, or recently for that matter. But .. I am gonna have problems adding more if I can't resolve this issue. I finally got a user created that worked ( no ideas, just wouldn't work for some reason) and I am now loggd into Linux box as user NOT root. I restarted F@H but it crapped out when trying to get the unit I just downloaded going. was about 5 % into new unit. So it is trying to get a new unit to work on and I am getting the following:

[02:04:19] - Error: Attempt #8 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [02:15:00] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:15:00] - Connecting to assignment server
    [02:15:14] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.143).
    [02:15:14] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [02:15:14] Loaded queue successfully.
    [02:15:17] - Error: Attempt #9 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

OK it is me, I am logged in as root again and F@H appears to be working fine, so I guess that is how this machine will work. OH well, ` ya win some, ya lose some At least it is working for the good of research.
    Waiting before retry.
    and still trying any ideas? do I have to re-install as user to make it work or... is there a problem with Stanfords site? ( I doubt the latter) ideas please?!!?
    Last edited by Bubba56; 04-12-2005 at 10:38 PM.

i had same issue with running on freeBSD...is this your OS?

No, sorry I am using Slackware 10.1, and all is current with 2.4.29 kernel.

I logged back in as root and it picked up the job that had been running and started just fine. It is probably some stupid rights issue, which if I had half a brain I could figure out all the fancy permission changing things, but I R DUM.

I know it's frowned on, not acceptable, stupid, etc, but I will probably leave it run this way til I completely break the machine and have to re-install. I have a netgear router/firewall and according to what I have read, Linux is pretty safe/hardy/tough to crack, so... I will have to live with it as is I guess. Want to keep the folding going as best as possible.

Well, although it's not really a good idea, you'll be okay having your fold run as root, especially since you're behind a firewall and (probably) don't have any sensitive services that could be attacked running on that machine. Just don't browse the web with that machine to download "interesting" executables.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Dagnabit!!! Windows 98!!
    My trusty dusty Windows 98, PII 450 machine was merrily pounding away at a 2500 frame protein. The frames musta been pretty small cause it cranked out over a 1000 in relatively short order, uh.. a couple of days. Then I checked it a couple of days ago and it had BSOD'ed. So, I rebooted it and it started up again. Today I checked it and it was just dead, blank screen. Rebooted again and it never seemed like it ever started back up on the job it had.

OK, you're right. I know what you're thinking.

I'm gonna save some of the old files on it that, for some reason, I think are still important, reformat it and throw slackware 10.1 on it and start over.

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Looks like we have a lost a major contributor. Don't know for how long. Our hunt for MS will take much longer and the previously mentioned AV123 will come get us. Unless we have a pile of new procs/members....

Smile

Just joined the #justlinux F@H team, working on my 5th WU. These things are huge. 2500 frames! Going to set up my wifes comp to fold since she doesn't use it for anything anyways. Going to try an Xbox mod(linux) one of these days and that will be another one to use. BTW will F@H work on the Xbox mods(software)? Good day, all!

I'm still working on finding a good AMD Athalon 64bit distro to throw into my server, any ideas? I also did some cleaing up of my machine, so we'll if folding 2 instances throws it out of whack or if it some odd way does it at the same speed as one doubt it though I also just lost another computer so back down to 3 cpus. stupid bad memory, at least newegg has cheap awsome memory.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Originally posted by thaddaeus
    I'm still working on finding a good AMD Athalon 64bit distro to throw into my server, any ideas? I also did some cleaing up of my machine, so we'll if folding 2 instances throws it out of whack or if it some odd way does it at the same speed as one doubt it though I also just lost another computer so back down to 3 cpus. stupid bad memory, at least newegg has cheap awsome memory.
    Debian (I think), Gentoo, Mandriva (I think), Fedora and SUSe all do AMD64 ports.

Only run one instance of F@H per CPU, so on a dual system, thats 2 instances of F@H.

And yeah.. NewEgg usually has good memory.. just make sure its not pretending to be awesome stuff
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

all my client.cfg are belong to ?

I've edited client.cfg to
    asknet=yes

But, when a wu is completed, it starts over anyway and rewrites my client.cfg to
    asknet=no.

I want this particular linux machine to stop folding after this next wu. I didn't want to compromise a 'fold', but I may just have to 'kill' it if there's no elegant way to stop the process after the next wu.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

You might want to shut down folding when you edit the cfg file (if you didn't already). It might load the options into memory and rewrite them when it finishes.

Hey, that might work.

I killed F@H. It was at about 10% on the next WU.
    I edited client.cfg and then retarted ./FAH502-Linux.exe

It now shows:
    Ask before connecting: Yes
    And it looks like it's trying to startup the previous WU, showing 'completed 261720 out of 2500000 steps 10%'
    The thing I'm seeing now is 'Extra SSE boost OK.'

I hope it's catching up and will start showing progress soon.

Thanks...
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Re: all my client.cfg are belong to ?

Originally posted by bs_2003
    I've edited client.cfg to
    asknet=yes

But, when a wu is completed, it starts over anyway and rewrites my client.cfg to
    asknet=no.

I want this particular linux machine to stop folding after this next wu. I didn't want to compromise a 'fold', but I may just have to 'kill' it if there's no elegant way to stop the process after the next wu.
    I wonder what would happen if you chmod it to read only?
    :wq