I just folded my first protein - Page 22

Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Originally posted by Cerf
    Its friday and I'm gaiming
    Turns out Gaim works really well in Linux too.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

We got MS!

Not the time to stop though.

My Aunt has likely passed away from cancer this evening. Yet to get the call to confirm but last I heard it was very grim.

Hooray, hooray, hooray!

Originally posted by Cerf
    (Oh and yes, I am aware of the irony that I took the screenshot with Windows XP)
    Welll, that's no problem, but it would be nice if you save your scrrenshot as a png file next time.

Sorry to hear about your aunt, ions.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Unhappy

Unfortunately she did pass away at about 2am est.

Even if the chances are 1:1000000 that this research in the long run does contribute to helping cancer victims or helping people avoid cancer it is immeasurably worthwhile to me. Plus cancer isn't the only thing this research can help and I think the odds are much better than one in a million that this stuff will help us understand what's going on.

My aunt was diagnosed less than 2 months ago after having trouble breathing. It's deadly stuff. While it's nice to pass MS and stuff like that there 's a big picture that's more worthwhile.

We're doing an awesome job! But lets throw all our procs at it!

I was watching the twilight zone or one of those crazy sci fi sort of weekly stories on non other than the sci fi channel. The two episodes were based on genetic engineering and trying to cure deseases. Basically this scientist tested a DNA sequence (or somthing of the sort) on himself causing him to hear voices and such. He ende up finding 4 students which were free from blemishes and ilness for an unknown reason....they fly through space on a ship which ends up killing the scientis and his son and putting the other 5 left over (don't try to think about the numbers) in a deep sleep...Thy landed thinking they were on some other planet finding it was earth...walked into a massive grave site finding human skellitons with wings attached...readan enscryption reavealing that due to trying to perfect the human DNA from cancer and disease, it left an entire generation sterile killing off humanity.

Now i doubt this would happend in the future, but hey ya never know..just thought it was instresing...
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Originally posted by ions
    My aunt was diagnosed less than 2 months ago after having trouble breathing. It's deadly stuff. While it's nice to pass MS and stuff like that there 's a big picture that's more worthwhile.
    Yes, very true. Yet we're probably still motivated to fold to a big degree because of the reward (i.e. certificate) and competition (e.g. passing Microsoft), two of the most basic mechanisms in psychology to motivate people to get a job done. It keeps us motivated in the short run so we're more likely to meet the big goal in the long run.

@ thaddaeus:

I'm not afraid of an open scientific project like this one because it has to answer to a board of ethics before it can even get started plus being scrutinized by other scientists and the public. The problem is research beyond public knowledge, like e.g. the Raelians have (at least) claimed to have succeeded at.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

According to this, we are ranked at 204 (12 May 05). Weren't we, like, 212 just a couple of days ago?

And, we're ahead of whoever created that Microsoft team.

And, apparently, Boards.ie is catching us.

Oh, and my bs_texas finally passed my bs_2003.
    Last edited by bs_texas; 05-12-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Welcome to Page Two

sweet!

At this rate we'll make the top 100 sometime in the year 2007. Wouldn't it be cool if we got more procs and made the top 100 folding teams? Of course we'll never catch these guys...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...ge&teamnum=446
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Originally posted by bs_texas
    And, apparently, Boards.ie is catching us.
    Seems like we should start "Fighting Irish".

Cerf I just caught you. Yipee

Dang... I'm getting tired of seeing my bs_texas at 15 WU's. But, my 3 folding computers are working as hard as they can, I reckon, and should finish their work units soon.

It's interesting how they are all working on different incantations of the folding process.

Machine 3 says: 5,777,000 out of 7,500,000 steps (77%)

Machine 2 says: Finished a frame (262)
    (out of 400)

Machine 1 says: Frames Completed: 1750/2500
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Originally posted by bs_texas
    It's interesting how they are all working on different incantations of the folding process.
    Yep, that had me wondering, too. The first time I saw the "Frames completed:" message I was like "Eesh, how is my 500MHz rig gonna handle so many steps???", yet it didn't seem to be that much slower than the 400 frames WU.

Oh, and we're in the top200 now and have also passed the Cisco Team.

I just finished my first one too! And I think it was rather big! (7500 frames as opposed to the 250 frames it's working on right now...)

Only really disappointing thing is that I have to fold in Windows cause there's no 64-bit client and I w't go near anything that's 32-bit...

Horrah! We're ranked 195th!
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

I have on folding 125000 frames right now, it's 40% done
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor