I just folded my first protein - Page 44

Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

I finally got an a2 core the other day. Still not quite 100% usage but it was over 80% which is a big improvement over the previous ones.

AAARRRGGGHHHH.....

My Active Processors within 7 Days has gone to 0, Zero, Nadda, Zilcho....

Even the computer I had folding at the office has been affected!

The others were affetced by a phone system problem.

It'll be another week at least before I can get back to my babies and get back on track.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

This is a little off topic but i have an old xbox that doesn't have a harddrive in it. I want to set it up with linux and full time folding i was wonder if anyone has a small harddrive they might want to dedicate to this project of mine.
    http://tpspace.net <<<< My Blog
    http://tpspace.net/wallpaper<<<wallapaper i use
    registered linux user #455172
    ubuntu user # 23820

http://nolimit974.mybrute.com<<< good game

I'm back . .

Edit: 29 Oct 08 - Well, the trend line is falling... but... I have 8 computers working on units... So, hopefully, it will soon go back up... sharply!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bs_texas; 10-29-2008 at 02:10 AM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I'm now back to folding as well after taking over 2 years off!
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

I just noticed that the image in my previous post is 'alive'. It's a link to the image at folding.extremeoverclocking.com and it is updating itself along the way.

And, Welcome back JayMan...
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I decided to start this up at work since I don't pay the electric bill there.

I keep getting this error - is the server rejecting? I can browse to http://assign2.stanford.edu/ and get the OK page.

Code:
    trilarian@Debian-Desktop:~$ tail folding/FAHlog.txt
    [21:29:52] - Connecting to assignment server
    [21:29:52] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
    [21:29:52] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [21:29:52] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
    [21:29:52] Connecting to http://assign2.stanford.edu:80/
    [21:29:52] Posted data.
    [21:29:52] Initial: 0000; + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
    [21:29:52] + Couldn't get work instructions.
    [21:29:52] - Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
                 Waiting before retry.
    trilarian@Debian-Desktop:~$
    I've restarted the service a few times (I run it in init.d) for the better part of the day and have not had a single good connection.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian
    I decided to start this up at work since I don't pay the electric bill there.

I keep getting this error - is the server rejecting? I can browse to http://assign2.stanford.edu/ and get the OK page.

I've restarted the service a few times (I run it in init.d) for the better part of the day and have not had a single good connection.
    I get that a lot to. Sometimes it will take a day or so to get it connected. I read somewhere one time that it may be that it doesn't have any work to give so it does this instead. I guess it doesn't matter if it connects or not if it doesn't have any work to do anyway.

Give it a couple days, check your firewall in the meantime.

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Hmm...

Ran over night an still the same error on attempt #36. I don't think it is a firewall issue as I can fire up a browser on that box and get the OK page from the address. 8080 is closed, but 80 is open. :shrug:
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian
    Hmm...

Ran over night an still the same error on attempt #36. I don't think it is a firewall issue as I can fire up a browser on that box and get the OK page from the address. 8080 is closed, but 80 is open. :shrug:
    Have you checked the folding forums? There is a site that tells what servers are up and running and other stats. I suspect that it just doesn't have any work to give but sometimes they have network issues too. It has been a while since I have heard of any but maybe this week is the week.

I sort of doubt that it is a firewall since the browser can get there but I thought it worth a mention.

Interesting links:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html
    http://foldingforum.org/
    My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Ah...

Says server is up with load 0 but has 0 WU available. Hmm... just seems inefficient as the server itself is doing nothing and so is my box and we are far from completion of the final goal. Oh well, I'll let it go over the weekend and see if it ever catches anything.

EDIT => Ah yea... must of been no work for the moment. I finally got a WU and it crunched away for awhile then uploaded fine. Now I'm back to the same waiting game. Oh well, at least the few it does get to has the potential to be useful in helping people one day.
    Last edited by trilarian; 10-03-2008 at 07:30 PM.

-Mark Twain

Well, here it is the end of the month and I'm having a problem getting a work unit. I have 5 computers that are sitting idle waiting . . .

[08:37:39] + Attempting to get work packet
    [08:37:39] - Connecting to assignment server
    [08:37:41] - Successful: assigned to (130.49.240.81).
    [08:37:41] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [08:37:41] Loaded queue successfully.
    [08:37:48] + Could not connect to Work Server
    [08:37:48] - Error: Attempt #7 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

Another machine is saying that "No appropriate work server was available"

This will probably drive us off to the page 3 of the folding.extremeoverclocking.com site, which will mean we've moved out of the top 200.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

If there's a central problem, hopefully it affects everyone else too
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I'm currently 60-70% on 3 WUs, so I think the servers are fine. I do notice it can go a few days with nothing, then get a WU on the first few tries after completing - luck of the draw I suppose.

At any rate... in just 2 weeks I moved up from 134 to 92 on the JL team.

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit974
    This is a little off topic but i have an old xbox that doesn't have a harddrive in it. I want to set it up with linux and full time folding i was wonder if anyone has a small harddrive they might want to dedicate to this project of mine.
    Not sure why this didn't occur to me when you first posted, but if you can run a Live CD on that you can fold using it. I did on one of my boxes for a while when I didn't have a hard drive for it. Just don't reboot too often.