I just folded my first protein - Page 63

Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    What?
    Agreed.

I'm still not able to fold because new computer parts haven't moved far enough up the priority list to get purchased yet, and I don't want to hasten the demise of the current ones by running them 100% 24/7. I really need to plant a money tree...

You don't need a money tree...

Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I worked a Linotype long ago and far away. Melted the lead, made the lines of type, blocked them up like that...
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

I wonder if I could use a 3d printer for that...

Have any of you messed with folding and distributed processing? It is already setup as a distributed network where Stanford is the controller and your PC the client, but would like to make the executable a sub-controller in charge of LAN network clients - so one WU divided amongst n nodes similar to it's SMP build on mutli-cores.

Hardware wise, I was considering expanding on my single Raspberry Pi to a 2^n cluster (start with 8, then scale) since they only drain 2W each and are easily cooled passively (compared to my 1,000W desktop, sigh). I've found packages on Debian that can be installed and configured for MPI execution (MPICH2) - so I know I can do it hardware wise, just not sure if their clients can with slight modification be run distributed. The nodes would be networked together via ethernet and a gigabit switch - SMP uses localhost to communicate as a network locally on multi-core chips.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

I haven't messed with it with FAH because dealing with their binary blob is too much of a headache for me. I'll bet there's a discussion about it on their forums though.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

How long can it last . . .

Just passed 30,000,000 points and closing in on 25,000 work units.

I haven't been looking at my electric bill.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    I haven't been looking at my electric bill.
    Probably for the best.

Dang it... One of my main PCs crapped out. And, it's a Windows Vista machine... I know, I know... But it's been chugging along fine for a few years.

Now, BSODs all over the place. BSODs in Safe Mode, BSODs when trying to boot a Recovery Tools CD, BSOD's when trying to repair with the Vista DVD, BSODs when trying to restore to a previous restore point...

It's an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard with something called Express Gate that comes up prior to loading the OS. Even that started saying it was no longer fully installed.

Not sure if it's a memory problem or a power supply issue or some other motherboard issue. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend....

...crushing things with a hammer... ;-)

-------------
    Folding is Fun

Flash the BIOS firmware - if you get lucky your EEPROM is not damaged, just corrupted. This won't solve the BSOD, but if works will at least give you a machine you can recover.

And I stopped looking at your folding stats... Must be nice to drop an entire paycheck on electricity....

I'll be kicking in to gear soon with fall/winter approaching, but doubt I'll run all my hardware 100%. Stats are great for bragging, but I'd rather be able to afford to go out drinking on the weekend over having a higher score on an Internet board.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

I'm still limping along on my dying Q6600, and the fact that my backup drive just died isn't helping my budgeting for a new system. On the plus side, I caught a WD Red drive on sale so hopefully it will be a long, long time before I have to replace that again.

Dang it... (I bet if we searched this thread I would have 20 -dang its- in here!)

I downloaded the new bios and a bios install utility and went around and around in circles trying to get something to boot so I could get to a command prompt. When I finally did, I got an error that the bios utility had to be run in ms-dos! Not just a command prompt.

Then I finally came across an option in the BIOS that was something like Easy BIOS Update utility! d'oh..... Put the bios .rom file in the CD, ran that utility. Easy update! And, that seems to have solved my blue screen of death problems.

I usta be a better geek than I am today in my old age!
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

To be fair, it is a pain in the neck that Microsoft won't let you create a true DOS boot disk from Windows. I ran into that way back in the 95 days when I had a virus and the AV software needed to be run from a clean DOS environment. Even back then it was hard to find one.

That said, I'm a big fan of the new BIOS update utilities built in to the motherboards. No more having to mess around with MS software to do BIOS updates.

Hey.. maybe, if things remain unchanged... we might hit 100,000,000 points by the end of the year.

I would like to see more info published (layman's info) about how this folding research is directly being used in the medical community.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hoping that all this folding sees some new advances in the coming year.

Oh, and Happy Holiday Day too... ;-)
    -------------
    Folding is Fun