WEBMIN Help

Thread: WEBMIN Help

WEBMIN Help

Hey Guys... I have just installed Webmin, install was about 10 seconds... that part was kinda nice..

MY Q: I need to have external users be abler to log into the webmin and read email. As it is set up right now, any user would be able to read anyones mail? I do not see where i can restrict a user to a certain mail box? Any help is appriciated....

Thanks,
    Adam

Re: WEBMIN Help

Originally posted by Admstng
    Hey Guys... I have just installed Webmin, install was about 10 seconds... that part was kinda nice..

MY Q: I need to have external users be abler to log into the webmin and read email. As it is set up right now, any user would be able to read anyones mail? I do not see where i can restrict a user to a certain mail box? Any help is appriciated....

Thanks,
    Adam
    There might be a third party add-on to do this. Or optionally you could install something like Squirrell Mail and just have a web-based mail system like that. I'm no Webmin guru but I don't think it was designed to do that. The sendmail/postfix/whatever module was designed to configure the mail system and not necessarily to check email.

I don't think Webmin's permissons are fine-grained enough to allow someone sendmail/postfix/whatever status and then to limit the inboxes they get to see. I think the better solution is, if you are worried about them reading mail that isn't theirs, is to remove the mail server permission set entirely and give them pop3 or some web-front end. If you're worried about people viewing mail that isn't theirs then I'd suggest you strip down their webmin powers as much as possible...
    "You are not beaten until you admit it." --George S. Patton

"Reading and learning, it's what linux users do"
    "Double clicking" doesn't work on Linux

G4L | ZSH - The Z Shell

Apple OS X, FreeBSD, and Smoothwall

Re: Re: WEBMIN Help

The webmin super user can configure for each webmin user that webmin user's "read mail" module. So you can specify which domains or users that webmin user has access to read. You can also select which UNIX user's mail that wemin person can read as well.
    "You are not beaten until you admit it." --George S. Patton

"Reading and learning, it's what linux users do"
    "Double clicking" doesn't work on Linux

G4L | ZSH - The Z Shell

Apple OS X, FreeBSD, and Smoothwall

yea, i see that you can configure a user to have access to "read mail" but with in there, that user can see all users mail?...i have not read that much on it.. i kinda just installed it and then look at some documentation.. i will look some more.. thanks...

as far as you first reply.. i think you might be right that webmin might not be able to handle such a service.. I will look into squirill maill..

thanks for you reply...