Installing RealPlayer plugin for FireFox

Thread: Installing RealPlayer plugin for FireFox

Installing RealPlayer plugin for FireFox

I followed these instructions http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#RealPlayer

1. Install RealPlayer 10.
    2. Copy nphelix.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and nphelix.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.
    3. Make sure a symbolic link to the realplay script is in your PATH.

Instead of Mozilla I used Firefox directory .... 'coz I only have plugins directory in the Mozilla directory (i dont have mozilla installed) ....

I have done the first 2 steps but it still doesnt work ... maybe its the third step that I am missing .... How do I do that ???

Also is there any other website to test the plugin functionality ??
    Last edited by sshe11; 03-12-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Running Fedora Core 3

Try this version.
    http://www.real.com/linux/?rppr=rnwk...0104freeplayer

It installs the player and the plugin for Mozilla. Automatically.
    I think where you went wrong was not installing it in the Mozilla directory. firefox will look there for plugins. And also, "export $PATH=/path/to/realplayer/plugin" should put it in your PATH. Which distro are you using? And you might have to log out of the windows manager and back in.
    Typing "about : plugins' (no space in the sentence, vbulletin makes : and P close together into a smiley). in the address bar and hitting enter will show you the mplugins that are up and running.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

The export command gives me an error:
    export $PATH=/usr/local/RealPlayer/plugins

bash: export: `/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_02/bin:/root/bin=/usr/local/RealPlayer/plugins': not a valid identifier

I did install that version of Real Player and it did install links to the nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt files in the Mozilla Plugins directory ...

But it says that the nphelix.so file goes in the Plugins dir. and nphelix.xpt goes in the components directory ... so i copied (not cut) the links into the respective FireFox directories ... 'coz there wasnt any Mozilla components directory ...

WHen I do aboutlugins I get:

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

File name: nphelix.so
    Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.544 built with gcc 3.2.0 on Feb 23 2005

audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer Plugin Metafile rpm Yes

so it sees the nphelix.so plugin but wont play .ram or .rm files !

any hints ??

Running Fedora Core 3

Try starting up the player itself and see if it will play those files. Something else may be the default player for those file types, like Xine or Mplayer.

And try "export PATH=$PATH : path/to/RealPlayer-10.0.1/realplay" then log out of the windows environment and back in. (remember no spaces in the export command)
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard