LT Distro is looking for Developers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT Distro is looking for Developers

LT Distro is looking for Developers

Hey, me and some guys (a few girls too I think) are putting together a new distribution. We don't quite know what we want to do with it yet though, and aren't very organized at this stage. We're looking for help of any sort including developers, testers, ordinary people with ideas. Basically, anyone who wants and has the time to help. So, if you are interested, check us out at Linux Teens .

Thanks for your time,
    eskiled

Is it going to be based off of a certain distro? I'll be the first to try to persuade you to base it off my favorite distro, Gentoo. I might be interested in helping if there is an opening at something I'm good at.

You should try and come up with a goal for what type of user you want. Should it be extra easy to use? should it be a live cd ? Should it have a lot of software or be stripped down? etc. Do some brainstorming.
    Currently running Xubuntu & Blag.

My blog:
    http://truthjournal.blogspot.com

The Easy Guide to Installing debian:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016

if there is an opening at something I'm good at.

any help that you can give is welcome, its not that official. I dont even think there is a hired staff (yet)..

thanks
    eskiled

Is this going to be a commercial or totally free distro? What are you basing it on, or is it from scratch? What is the main concept behind it?
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Again, as of now there isn't much but talk. However, yes it will be totally free, although I am sure in its later stages people will be able to donate if they wish. There is talk off basing it off of Gentoo, or LFS. By the way I am proud to announce that several members from the Just Linux community have already started helping out over at linux teens (namely Dswain and Starknight83).

eskiled

Re: LT Distro is looking for Developers

Originally posted by eskiled
    We don't quite know what we want to do with it yet though, and aren't very organized at this stage.
    Establishing a purpose would seem to me to be an important first step. What is it about the currently available distributions that doesn't meet your need? Mandrake, Gentoo, Yoper, etc., all have specialities that make them appeal to certain users. So what's your niche?

If your answer is: "I just thought it would be cool to have my own distro"... that's still valid, but it may be more difficult to attract participants than if you have a specific goal that others may find appealing.

I'd just hate for you to spend a lot of time stumbling blindly, then have the distro wither away because no one uses it and no-one involved knows why they're working on it anymore.

- T.

Thanks tlyons, this is honestly something we havent thought about yet and i appreciate you saying that. i will talk to some people over there and we'll see if we cant russle up a mission statement of some sort.

eskiled

Not to rain on your parade but if you don't have a specific reason to create a distrobution why go to all the effort to make one?

Necessity is the mother of invention...
    "I know where you're from but where do you belong?"

For me, its to learn some stuff. For the rest of the guys over there I have no idea. Like I said, I am going to talk to them about it.

eskiled

count me in im a teen enthusiast of linux and ive got time to spend. but yes i think you should develop a team and then discuss what you want your distro to be based on , Do you want it to be a " newbie " distro or a more experienced one ?
    Last edited by battalax; 01-22-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Its been quite some time but we have finally agreed on a semi-formal mission statement at LinuxTeens:

Here at LinuxTeens we aim to develop a new breed of Linux Distributions which provide a helping hand to new Linux users, especially teens. We try to maintain a "Just Works"(tm) policy out of the box. Though users have the ability to take a look under the hood, this project does not force it on the user. The distribution is largely based on Debian, optimized for the i386 architecture, and uses apt-get to manage packages.
    We are far from any release still and we are basically disscusing and constantly modifying things at this stage. So just drop by LinuxTeens if you are interested.

thanks
    eskiled
    Last edited by eskiled; 03-03-2005 at 05:35 PM.

It's actually Debian based as of this point, or is going to be when we finish our first release. May not be for a while, but we're working on it fairly dilligently so it'll be neat to really see what becomes of it.
    The Swain

dswain

Decided yet what your goal is?
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Essentially what was quoted above by eskiled. The distro is to remain simple. Simple, as in, the code is relativly simple (as of now, all scripts are bash scripts.) Simple, also as in usability. The scripts (when implimented) will help keep the system simple. Simple, also in arch design. We're keeping it at i386 because there are people on the forums with machines which run from 166mhz Pentiums all the way to Athlon XP 3000's. This system will be made to be unbias in this regard: with the use of Apt for package use, Debian as the base (heavily modified package base) and remaining at i386 (default for Debian) will help all these things out, and can be made to work great on that old Pentium or that new Athlon XP CPU.

Like it was said, check out the forums to see what we're looking at specifically. That's the idea of it, though. I've also released a rough roadmap for the distro last night if that's what interests you.
    The Swain

dswain