Slackware 10.1- Good or not? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Slackware 10.1- Good or not?

I'm not quite a linux newbie, and I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in Slack, but I have never been able to get swaret to work. For some reason, the package that's supposed to be .tgz ends up being downloaded at tgz.tar. I was told to rename it to .tgz, and installpkg says it's corrupted. I even tried untarring the files, and re-compressing them as .tgz and it installs, but it's unuseable.

I think I'll stick to slackpkg until they can at least figure out how to make proper .tgz packages for swaret.

This is a known issue, and I can't believe the developer hasn't fixed it yet. I've gotten around it 2 ways:
    1) download it in Windows, and use Windows Explorer to remove the .tar from the end of the file, then send over to the slack box and installpkg it.

2) download it in Linux. Open a console and rename it with the mv command
    Code:
    mv  swaret.tgz.tar  swaret.tgz
    For some reason renaming it through the GUI doesn't seem to work???

I have used both of these methods successfully.
    Last edited by psych-major; 04-14-2005 at 12:03 PM.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

the .tar thing is "supposed" to be fixed on next release.

not sure why they just can't rename it

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

[joe@Squidward] ~/temp > mv swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz
    [joe@Squidward] ~/temp > sudo -s
    [root@Squidward] ~/temp > installpkg swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz
    Cannot install swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz: package is corrupt (failed 'gzip -l swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz')

Here's what I get. It's on a headless machine, so my only way in is via ssh. I may have to try to install samba on it to try the windows trick though. Now if I can only find someone with a windows box....

Edit: Nevermind, I got a friend with windows to download it, rename it, then mail it to me, and it worked. Really no clue what difference it makes, but at least I get to try it out now. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by JTorres176; 04-14-2005 at 04:19 PM.

I had same problem few days ago. Try download it again, but before you save it, change the file type from tar to all files then delete tar. It should be .tgz instead of tgz.tar and save it. It worked fine for me. By the way, I used firefox.

use a different mirror to download. I think I had the same problem last time I installed it. The mirror I was using was messed up.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Thumbs up

Thanks pysch! Now all i have to do is get my sister off the box.... She is STUCK to windows...Its almost <b>IMPOSSIBLE</b> to get her off it!

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org