Slackware 10.1- Good or not? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 10.1- Good or not?

I have an Old Old Old laptop that I run slack on. I started out with 8.1 and moved around to 10.0 where it runs like a dream. I moved up to 10.1 for about a week, but the performance wasn't what I was used to with 10.0, so I downgraded.

1995 IBM Thinkpad 365XD w/ 40MB of RAM isn't much to run a gui off of, but here's a screenie of my xfce desktop. 800x600x8 at the moment, but... for a decade old laptop, I'd say it's doing pretty well.

I've been faithful to Slackware since I discovered it, but until I can upgrade my laptop, I think I'm going to stay with 10.0 for a bit longer.

Slackware 10.1 is great if you fix the alsa problem and the annoying Konqueror toolbar issues, both of them mentioned in the net (and in my TrickMe page).

Slack is my no1 choice and agreeing to all said here, I add the "how much you learn" issue. which should be one of the primary targets for all of us.
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

Originally posted by micro
    Slackware 10.1 is great if you fix the alsa problem and the annoying Konqueror toolbar issues, both of them mentioned in the net (and in my TrickMe page).

Slack is my no1 choice and agreeing to all said here, I add the "how much you learn" issue. which should be one of the primary targets for all of us.
    alsa has only been a problem for me on my Dell laptop, and I think the konqueror thing is a kde 3.4 thing...
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

I have some questions regarding Slackware. I hope it's right thread to post here.

I'm BSD user, but I've used linux before. I need to use some programs that don't work well on *BSD, but only on Linux. Linux emulation on BSD doesn't help much right now.

I heard many things about Slackware and it also uses a BSD INIT system. So, I think it's good choice to pick Slackware for my case. However, I have some questions I hope Slackware users can answer.

1. How does BSD INIT works in Slackware? Is it like this? http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hint...s/bsd-init.txt
    (Maybe I already answered my own question)

2. What kind of package system do you recommand? I read on slackware.com and it has pkgtools, but on this forum, some people here recommanded swaret or slapt-get. Do these package systems keep packages up to current AND stable as possible?

3. Security - How does Slackware handle with security issues? On the Slackware site, I only see few security issues in 2005. Maybe I missed something else?

4. Kernel - Should I choose 2.4 or 2.6? I haven't used linux in few years so I'm not sure how stable 2.6 is. I heard some people have issues with 2.6 right now, but I believe that's each person's experience with kernels.

I'll address #2 and #4:

#2. swaret is awesome! You can configure it to retrieve only patches for the version level you are at, or you can set it to current and grab the latest stable releases. You could even have a test machine where you implement and test the latest and greatest, then once they are certified to be OK, distribute them to your production box, again via swaret.

#4 I'm sticking 2.4. I have not had to compile 2.6 for anything specific that isn't addressed by the selection of precompiled kernels on the CD and I figured, if it ain't broke, why go looking for issues! However, there is nothing wrong with 2.6 that I know of and I haven't heard of severe issues being reported by other Slackers.
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

2. I also prefer swaret. Keeps my system up to date well, with few problems. I use pkgtools for installing and removing packages.

3. Slack is based on the keep it simple principle, which usually means you only have to watch for kernel patches and keep packages update(with swaret)

4. I use 2.6, but it is not usually needed. On of my boxes has an external firewire dvd so I have found it easier to compile 2.6 with scsi and IEEE1394 support . Other than that it is purlely for having the newest kernel.

hope that helps as far a question 1, im not familar enough with the init system to answer.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

All Slack, old or new, is CotS certified and thus always AWESOME and chock-full'o SLACK...

Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

Originally posted by BMK1st
    1. How does BSD INIT works in Slackware? Is it like this? http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hint...s/bsd-init.txt
    (Maybe I already answered my own question)
    Yes
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Originally posted by soulestream
    3. Slack is based on the keep it simple principle, which usually means you only have to watch for kernel patches and keep packages update(with swaret)
    Let me get this, Slackware kernel isn't customized but is vanilla kernel taken from kernel.org, right? If so, then I would have to watch out for patches from kernel.org.

Anyway, I'm enough convinced to try slackware tonight.

slackware does use vanilla kernel

Pat is either really lazy or really smart

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Originally posted by soulestream
    slackware does use vanilla kernel

Pat is either really lazy or really smart

soule
    I think a little of both...
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

I installed Slackware last night. I've used swaret and installed dropline gnome. All went well without a glitch. I have to say Slackware's text installer is smoothiest than any other text installer I ever used!

Welcome to the club, fellow Slacker!
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Just asking , how do you config swaret? Or slapt-get

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

I only used slapt-get a couple of times, and it worked fine, but I can't remember how I configged it.

Swaret is easy:
    after installing, you will have a files called /etc/swaret.conf-new. Edit this file and save it as /etc/swaret.conf.

Here is the swaret FAQ page.

And attached is my swaret.conf for an example that is working great on my 3 machines. (You can probably just copy it and change its name to .conf and use it as is)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)