Backup linux server machine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup linux server machine

Backup linux server machine

hi all,
    I want to backup my linux server machine(@home ) because recently it crashed where I set up all the servers samba/ftp/dhcp/ all are gone now and have to setup everything from scratch now. Whats the best procedure to do that in linux?

-tanveer

tar
    "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged." - Abraham Lincoln

thanks for replying.
    What I wanted to know is, now I have a backup disk of 40G and adding it in my server machine with 80G. Now if now something happens to 80G hd, I want the 2nd hd will take over the situation. Should I have to config all the servers seperately on that hd too? something like disk mirroring!
    Hope I made myself clear

-Tanveer

Originally posted by tanveer
    something like disk mirroring!
    I think RAID would be great for you.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Look at my post on the the backup application...m/b something you can find a use for.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

thanks for replying guyz.
    JohnT, where will I find your post on backup?
    -Tanveer

Have you considered using rsync? I've been using that for years on multiple servers and haven't had a problem with it yet. It's quite simple, straight forward, and able to use ssh and rsh transfers if you have to transfer anything outside of your internal network.

I really think you want raid mirroring.. NOT STRIPING.

Originally posted by tanveer
    thanks for replying guyz.
    JohnT, where will I find your post on backup?
    -Tanveer
    http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=139507
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I rolled my own backup script with bash. It simply finds the driectories I want backed up and then tar.gz's them to an iomega rev drive. (.gz'ing them is slower but I can store a ton more data that way) In your particular case I would go with raid mirroring, lots of new motherboards have sata raid controllers built on, but you can get them as a card. I am running SCSI raid for the office server and you don't want to be shelling out that kind of dough.
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700 (overclocked)
    GPU: Geforce 2 ti
    Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    Ram: 512mb ram
    Mobo: LanParty NFIIULTRAB
    Storage: 2x 40mb IDE 1x80mb SATA
    Drives: HP dvd100i (dvd+RW/cdr/cdrw-writer)
    Case: Heavily modded Kingwin Aluminum
    CPU Cooling: Zalman Flower (fanless)

Thanks all for your help.
    I am loooking on both rsync and RAID. Shall let u all know if encountered any problem.

-Tanveer

In your case from what you want i would suggest RAID mirroring, basically the same data you have on one drive is mirriored to another drive, That way if you device fails you still have the data intact. For this i also suggest SATA Drives, for one their hotswapable, so when one dies, you can replace it without shuttingdown the machine, and 2 preformance will get better. SATA is faster that EIDE/IDE, the drives cost a bit more but are usually more reliable too.

Also with mirroring drives if i'm not mistaking, accessing the information will be faster as it (in some cases) runs the drives in parallel.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

I really like the idea behind RAID, but I'm anal about backups. I usually use rsync to back up multiple boxes to one central location. I don't allow remote login of root to my boxes, so I set up a backupuser account to rsync files over.

In fstab, at different times I use the "push" method to put files onto the backup. This is what I use on my main box (Spongebob) to back up home folders to my backup server (Plankton)

/usr/bin/rsync -avz -e ssh --delete /home/ backupuser@Plankton:/usr/share/backups/Spongebob/home/

then a short Python script gzips everything, places them into a backup file after the rsync's are done, and deletes the individual backup files after 14 days.

I also run different scripts on each testing machine to back up apache configs and data, postgres configs and data, and so on all on a central box. If a box goes down, or I have to reinstall or replace, all of the information can just be extracted and rsynced right back in place on the original box.

The only thing I don't care for with rsync is its compression....I am backing up a lot of data that needs to get onto a 30gig rev disk. Using 'tar -czf' in my script is great because of the compression gz gives you....unfortunately I am still working on how to get them to "freshen" my backups rather than replace them.
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700 (overclocked)
    GPU: Geforce 2 ti
    Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    Ram: 512mb ram
    Mobo: LanParty NFIIULTRAB
    Storage: 2x 40mb IDE 1x80mb SATA
    Drives: HP dvd100i (dvd+RW/cdr/cdrw-writer)
    Case: Heavily modded Kingwin Aluminum
    CPU Cooling: Zalman Flower (fanless)

the rsync -avz --delete will go in and basically mirror the directories of the folder you're backing up. It replaces older files with newer ones, writes missing files to the backup server, and the "--delete" flag removes files from the backup server that aren't in the current folder. the "-e ssh" is what sets the security.

the python script is where the system comes together. I average between 50% and 60% disk usage. If it begins to get too large, I shorten the script to 10 days. When it levels back out, I go back to 14.