Daily Reminder, I love Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Reminder, I love Linux

Daily Reminder, I love Linux

OK I need to vent!

I was working on a windows box for a customer today and man, I hate norton. Its days like this that I love Linux. I upgraded from ME to XP and then tried to install Norton. Well Guess what the MSI installer is now broke and doesnt point to the right place (because of the upgrade) So norton doesnt install. Crap well solved that, now I just get an norton install error. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I Love Apt

RANT OFF. Thanks!

yup
    Registered Linux User #365191

Oh yeah, work often makes me happy to run Linux. For example when writing software that uses our internal libraries. It is easy enough to get it to compile and link with our libraries under Linux, but then I have to go to another machine and try to setup a Visual C++ workspace and get it to link in the libraries. Wow, what a pain. You tell it the libraries but then it complains about libraries the VC++ itself adds and its just a pain. I like how easy this is to do under Linux.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Cool

Don't even get me started on Norton.

Oh, wait... Too late...

That suite (it's no longer a "program") takes over your entire freakin' box. As you found out, if one thing doesn't go according to plan, then you're SOL.

Before ridding my Uncle's computer of it, it had installed the Virus, Protect, Sysguard, Minder, Diskspeed, and some other crap that you really don't need with XP (since the only thing you need is a virus checker).

I threw AntiVir from H+BEDV ( http://www.free-av.com ) on the machine, and what once took four minutes to boot, now takes about 75 seconds. Fsck Norton! I no longer recommend them or McAfee, as they're both too damn bloated. Get AVG or AntiVir.

And no, my uncle isn't going to Linux even after showing him what a great environment it is - I can't even get him to drop his AOL account - and he's on a cable network ISP!

banzai "virii-less" kai
    "Mind you, I got to do the licking this time, so it wasn't too bad."
    - Jane Horrocks, The Guardian, 1995

Originally posted by banzaikai
    Get AVG or AntiVir.
    Oh, it's nice to hear Antivir is known in your part of the world, too. Overhere it's very popular for Windows since it's so gentle on the system's ressources. Antivir sceptics keep bringing forward reports that Antivir doesn't detect as many viruses as other products. Giving a closer look at the reports I saw that this statement was only true for the heuristic engine. Duh.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Originally posted by Parcival
    Giving a closer look at the reports I saw that this statement was only true for the heuristic engine. Duh.
    I tried to help a friend by sending him a copy of the EICAR test string. I use one of my computers as dual-boot, and run Avast. I can't even write the EICAR string and save it because Avast locks me out of it immediately. After firing up the laptop (Slackware) and sending it to him through pine, he opened the mail (nothing) saved the file to his desktop (nothing) then scanned it, when it finally told him it was the EICAR test.

He then moved it to My Documents and went about his business. Three days later, AVG finally found it again. After laughing at him, I tried to do the same on my computer. I wrote the string, Avast found it and locked the file, I deleted the file, turned off resident protection, wrote the file again, then tried to mail it, Avast locked the file. I turned off mail protection, sent it to myself, then turned it back on. Avast removed it before I even read it in the mail. I turned everything off again, wrote another copy, and placed it in a folder on my F:\ drive, where it was found within seconds. Using the same procedure, I wrote another, zipped it, then tarred, then gzipped it and placed it on my D:\ drive. After turning everything back on again, it was found within a couple of minutes.

This has been about three weeks ago. My buddy still has the compressed file on his computer. Seems AVG still hasn't picked it up. I think I'll stick to Avast.

Wow, I am completly oppostie of Norton, Their Internet Security Suit is great, from what i've used. I have never seen a virus on my win boxes, i can block programs access to the internet, It even caches crap in executables i dnld, before i open it. Its what i suggest to people who arn't timid about going and playing games/movies/music/crapy stuff fromt the internet. Infact on the machines i've used it on have no lag due to its realtilme scan. I agree that its installer could use some work, as one problem does fail the install, but other than that I suggest it to many people who have mediocre skills with a computaional device, when linux isn't a plausable solution
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

/me uses AntiVir too

becos its the smallest powerful anti-virus.

Others include Kaspersky, AVG and what have you. The best ones are still the free ones. Norton and Mcafee have already tarnished their names. Nothing will save it now.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Their Internet Security Suit is great
    WHAT!?!

NO way, that thing is a JOKE. There firewall blocks live update by DEFAULT! Ya thats great for the novice user.

BTW No offense intended

Thumbs up

Parcival:
    Oh, it's nice to hear Antivir is known in your part of the world, too.
    Are you kidding? I've got Frankenmuth just down the road (home of the World's biggest Xmas store), and many Bavarian influences in the area. That, and my uncle is of German heritage

After some fiasco I had with McAfee, I went looking for a new AV on my Win98 partition. AVG seemed good, but I went with AntiVir on a hunch (as a die-hard Amigan, I know first-hand about the quality of non-US programmers). To put it simply, I was floored! These guys (und fraus!) really know their stuff. For example:

Tried to wipe off a relative's XP box (hotbar) with AdAware, but since it was in use (locked), it couldn't delete it - and it reloaded the next time you booted. AntiVir scanned through, said that even though hotbar wasn't really a virus, but a real PITA, would I like to get rid of it? Click-> "Yes"! Rebooted, AntiVir prevented hotbar from loading, and AdAware could then clean it from there.

So now, every computer that I work on gets AdAware and AntiVir (unless they insist on Norton, but then I'm not cleaning up after Norton).

banzai "AntiVir über alles" kai
    "Mind you, I got to do the licking this time, so it wasn't too bad."
    - Jane Horrocks, The Guardian, 1995

Thumbs up

I have a box that runs WinXP and the Norton's Suite on it. Never had a lick of problems, doesn't block the live update, either. As far as being bloated, yes they do give you an entire boat load of stuff in the suites......but if I didn't want to use it I simply didn't install it, and that's the newest version for 2005. If I still have to use windows for some things..I will still use Norton's. I've been burned too many times not to.

I have found AVG to be the best so far, I used Antivir in the past, I have found AVG much simpler, and both of them have a tiny footprint and tiny updates! As apposed to Norton's which is a whopping 6.1MB per pop now, imagine doing that on dialup!!!

I have found Clamwin antivirus for Windows servers (GPL'ed). Works great!!!
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Learn how to use windows!

Slackware 10 .1
    Dropline Gnome
    Kernel 2.6.12

The Only webpage you need
    ScreenShots

Originally posted by pinter

I think I smell a troll.....
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Originally posted by pinter

Yep! I did learn how to use windows, and you know what? It still sucks, even when you learn the tricks. Learning to do anything with windows was a total and utter waste of my time, because at the end of the day, once I head learned all the windows admin stuff, i still didn't know what windows was doing behind the scenes. Now I'm learning to use Linux and find it vastly superior in every way! Windows is for gamers, followers, and gullible, non technical-minded people. Guys who think windows is so good have never seen anything else; most of them don't even know there are other OS's out there.
    Sadly, I still dual-boot windows from time-to-time on my box, but only to do those annoying VB assignments for school. Yuck. Now, when I have to boot wincrapXP, my network connection is off, and I can't be bothered by all these stupid anti this, anti that 3rd party crapware that is made to run in eX-Pee. It's slow, always craps out, and annoys me to death. So yeah, this has served as a daily reminder for me indeed!

There! is that the response you wanted?
    Linux user #367409