The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread

Originally posted by JThundley
    I use Linux to provide me with a reason to idle in #justlinux and annoy ions.
    That's not good karma. I might start logging onto there just to annoy you.

blobaugh told me to.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

well at first it was pure curiosity.

then I decided to change careers and go back to school. I grew up with computers, my dad scrimped and saved to buy us our first computer(used C64). He had to learn to work on computers for work. My first degree required I either learn *nix or novhell/windows.Novhell is kinda like arguing with a pms(ing) woman. Its alot of work, just to wind up banging your head on the wall.

windows is basically boring to me. people piss and moan about windows problems, but my problem was that there is only so much you can do with a windows machine. Linux keeps me thinking.

lastly job security. after spending about 60 grand on school, I didnt want to be locked into telling a potential boss that "linux sucks, we should just use windows" - which I have heard from numerous admins, cause they refuse to learn anything new.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

No thanks, I'd rather be an anonymous statistic.
    I chose Linux (or Linux chose me) largely for philosophical reasons. I believe that information should be available to everybody. I also believe that the human race is not intrinsically evil.

These are rather naive ideals to live one's life by in my country at this point in history. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, however, my personal experience bumbling on to the internet in 2001 with a 166Mhz PII with 48MB of RAM and no previous computer experience was that we, as humans, ARE willing to help each other free of charge.

I still haven't paid a dime for my education and have gone about as far in Windows as I can or want to. When I become frightened by world events or by my own less-than-glowing prospects in life, I call up the GPL, reread it, and am once again able to believe that life could still turn out to be something beautiful.

I'm a Linux newbie with a long way to go. My heart is with Debian but my hardware and technical knowledge are going to limit me for some time. My goals include resurrecting "obsolete" PCs that would be useless to Windows users and making them available to financially disadvantaged folks who would otherwise have no access to the internet or everything else these machines have to offer.

Thats a very nice aim! once i grow up , i just might help you on that!

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

becuse I hate the fact

I formatted my Compaq laptop and installed Ubuntu Preview 5.0.4 and am running wireless, for 3 weeks straight now I think, the wireless part a few days, but I left MS becuse I was tierd of buying all the software or having a friend burn me a copy of what he had, spyware...bps spyware remover is the best but with linux, I have yet to have any spyware issues, burning ISO images is free unlike the windows software makers, I found only a handfull of software companies that developed software for MS that were free, and when you find them, the developed it on a non MS platform. My only real issue is web design, I think linux lacks that, but, I am sure like everything else that too will get better with time, oh and viruses....god love the heathens that love to do nothing more than to upset me enough to where I have to format my windows platform and re install all that crap over and over again.......

uber= Ubuntu User

"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night hacking (and/or conversations with God)." (By Matt Welsh)

I was just plain curios at the time!

I had heard so much about Linux that I thought I would give it a try!

I started out with PC's in the days of 386's running dos 6.2 and win 3.11,
    a whole 4 megs of ram and a 250 meg hard drive.
    A few weeks after I got the machine the kids came home from school with a game on a 3'5 floppy, guess what I got infected with the "plastique" virus. ( I am not going to elaborate on what happened further! ) I was really mad at the time! (But they say things happen!)

This carried on and on of course! In the mean while I tried Redhat 6.0 all the way up to 9.1, did not like Redhat much!

Then a friend toasted me a set of Mandrake 9.1 Cd's with the PLF edition and some up-dates and I was hooked. I was not impressed with mandrake 10.1 so I searched for, and tried other distro's and ended up with my current set-up Suse 9.2 pro, on a home brewed box.

I have a "smoothwall 2" firewall and a small network at home where between the family we run Xp and various flavors of Linux.

Am making a great effort to convert the others to Linux, but I am hampered at this stage as most of the games we play are MS based eg. Flight Sim 2004 ( So I dual boot), The Sims, my daughters favourite.

Keeping all the windows machine's virus and spy-ware free is almost a full time job!

I am a firm believer in Linux and freedom!
    I am not going to cover the other points on this matter, as they have already been discussed in this thread and elsewhere, including the latest offering from MS.
    Last edited by catman; 05-14-2005 at 12:24 PM.

I started using Linux because I got sick and tired of paying ~ $100USD every time some dude in Redmond decided it was time for me to upgrade. It was hard going at first. So frustrating. I started out with Mandrake 6.1. Don't remember when that was. Sometime around 2000/2001 I think. Mandrake was to buggy, so I tried SuSE, Red Heart, Mandrake again, debian, and then Slackware. When I tried Slackware I was hooked. Slack just plain worked. Everything worked, and worked the way it was supposed to. And Slack didn't do things all on it's own. So, here I am three years later still using Slack. And, now that I've settled on Slack, I pay for each upgrade. The next distribution I might try when I get the time is Arch.

West Virgina, USA, North America, Earth, Western Spiral Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe As We Know It
    4 words

"Blue Screen of Death"

***Insert icon of data dying a horible death here.***
    In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move... --Douglas Adams

I chose it first b/c I had a friend who had tried it, and I wanted to set up a "1337" halflife server. (Red hat 7.2). Then I gave up on that, and I returned to windows (9x) for webserving with Microsofts ISS. Then I caught some virus and while I was able to fix it by hand, b/c norton wouldn't, it was enough for me then to try redhat 7.3. Then 8, then off to LFS (for a week, I was curious. Best week of my linux career). Then gentoo. 6 months later gentoo on main machine. Then I had to repartition data, and wiped everything, and just never got around to reinstalling windows. Havn't looked back since.

Linux is pure joy!

I like linux because of it's ease of use and that "you" are in control of what you are doing, unlike Windblows.
    No viruses.
    No ad/spy-ware.
    Plain fun!
    Would Jesus have made U if He did not love U?

Well... i have quite a few reasons...

Most importantly is the blue screen of death.
    Followed by the frequent reformats and the tons of W32 viruses out there.
    Next, the price is absurb. Imagine... Not only the OS, the antivirus, productivity software, etc, just for basic security and daily use.

As for Linux, Im in control..
    Registered Linux User #388117

[offtopic]
    Originally posted by WhiteKnight
    ...price is absurb... ...antivirus...
    IMO the best free or even non free anti viri for win is AVG from grisoft.
    [/offtopic]
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

cause i was tired of winblows crashing on me.