The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MorphiusFaydal
    yes indeed sir, i did.

bad thing about this new forum software: doesnt do nested quotes
    It's still a huge leap forward from the old software. I love the new search function But we digress.
    -----------------------
    "I wouldn't say there are no stable character attributes in a person
    that contribute to moral or immoral behavior, but they are far
    outweighed by where the person is, at what time, and with whom."
    -Lee Ross, coauthor of "The Person and the Situation: Perspectives
    of Social Psychology"

Registered Linux user number 332965

Why I never argued that Linux was stupid

About five years ago, I was in the White Plains CompUSA (a store that I absolutely hate) looking for something (although I'm not quite sure whether I actually was looking for something), and a man with gray hair (I think) who was probably about 50 years old came up to me and explained how good Linux was.

I didn't start using it for a while because my computer was still an old Dell with a P233 processor and 32Mb of RAM and a broken CD drive, my mother wouldn't get a new one, and my mother wouldn't let me install Linux over the newer computer that was running Windoze ME. It did have a great effect, however; when my cousin discovered that the path to Enlightenment was not through Windoze but through Linux, I quickly agreed. As he started learning about Linux, I started learning about computer hardware, and I built a computer. I saved $100 on this computer by not buying Windoze.

Had the guy at CompUSA not told me about Linux, I would probably still be using Windoze, and I would probably not know what Enlightenment is.

So, if you see a 10-year-old kid in the software section of a computer store, explain to him how one can reach Enlightenment by installing Linux. (You don't actually have to tell him about the window manager.) Like your friends, he probably won't install Linux for a while, but your lecture will convince him to use it later.

mmm... if I was 10 and some guy with white hair came up to me while I was chilling in a computer store... Isin't that one of those "don't talk to strangers" moments?

:mod-ness: Oh, and I'm merging this with the main why chose linux thread. :end mod-ness:
    Last edited by sharth; 07-11-2005 at 08:31 AM.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Boy
    and my mother wouldn't let me install Linux over the newer computer that was running Windoze ME.
    See, this is precisely what I was talking about. Why don't you guys get over yourselves, and start typing "Microsoft" and "Windows"? It's not that hard to not try looking like a "gangsta geek".

I bet you wear your pocket protector backwards as a sign of rebellion, too.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ Phenom 9850 8GB (4x2gb) G.Skill PC2 6400 eVGA 8800GTX 1x 80gb Sata2, 1x 500gb Sata2, 2x 160gb Sata1 Scythe SCINF-1000 hsf Enermax 485w SLI Thermaltake 485W MountainMods UFO2 Case

Quote Originally Posted by JSimmons
    See, this is precisely what I was talking about. Why don't you guys get over yourselves, and start typing "Microsoft" and "Windows"? It's not that hard to not try looking like a "gangsta geek".

I bet you wear your pocket protector backwards as a sign of rebellion, too.
    ....Chill much? Jesus man. Let us have our subtle ways of rebellion. winders.
    -----------------------
    of Social Psychology"

Hi. I only started to take Linux seriously as a desktop OS replacement for windows after I recently tried out Fedora Core 4. I love it! Before that I had tried out RedHat8 and Suse 9.2Pro but managed to muck-up the kernels by installing ATI drivers. I thought it would be like installing something on Windows but with a command line rather than a double click! Learnt a lot from trying to ressurect them, even though I didn't succeed. The reason I tried out linux is because I like the ideaology and philosophy of it, and the fact that I really detest Microsoft as a company.

Quote Originally Posted by cudaman73
    ....Chill much? Jesus man. Let us have our subtle ways of rebellion. winders.
    Isn't using Linux enough of a rebellion for you? Afterall, you're not support Microsoft, you're not supporting Windows applications manufacturers (especially the spyware and a/v companies), and you're not buying hardware based on it's compatibility with Windows. You've saved yourself countless thousands of dollars simply by using Linux, and THAT has an impact on Micorosft and its partners.

Voting with your wallet is effective, but "me-too" tactics like using "Windoze" and "M$" is wholly ineffective in the fight against Microsoft's monopolistic practices, and makes everyone that uses Linux look like a bunch of peurile illiterate morons.

When I tell people I use Linux, I almost always get that oh-you're-one-of-them looks. I've even been asked as few times if using Linux makes me feel like a "l33t haxor". My only response to that is that I am spyware and virus free, and Linus Torvlads doesn't know I exist because Linux doesn't need to phone home whenever the temperature in my case goes up a degree.

Being a revolutionary doesn't give you the right to be un-educated or disrespectful of your opponent. Rise above the mindless hoards of propeller heads looking for some inane way of poking Microsoft in the ribs. You people are enlightened. Show the way for the others.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ Phenom 9850 8GB (4x2gb) G.Skill PC2 6400 eVGA 8800GTX 1x 80gb Sata2, 1x 500gb Sata2, 2x 160gb Sata1 Scythe SCINF-1000 hsf Enermax 485w SLI Thermaltake 485W MountainMods UFO2 Case

Heh, I've told this a couple of times before. Believe it or not, the biggest reason was the fact that it's free. I had heard good things about it, but I didn't really know anything about OSS ideals or anything. All I knew was that I was putting together my first own box and that I couldn't afford a Windows license. So I decided to give "that free OS I keep hearing about" a try and never looked back. Didn't take me too long to realize that the free thing was actually superior to the leading brand on the market.
    Running:
    Pentium D 3GHz Dual Core - 2GB - Ubuntu 9.04
    PIII 850MHz - 256MB - Ubuntu 8.04 Server
    Registered Linux user number 312827

Why don't you guys get over yourselves, and start typing "Microsoft" and "Windows"? It's not that hard to not try looking like a "gangsta geek".
    I really, really hate people who tell other people what to do like they are smarter, better or just plain superior. Probaby the reason why I have the religious zealots knocking on my door too...
    Running:
    Pentium D 3GHz Dual Core - 2GB - Ubuntu 9.04
    PIII 850MHz - 256MB - Ubuntu 8.04 Server
    Registered Linux user number 312827

peurile illiterate morons

Is that the new gangsta spelling?

I choose linux because it's the best tool for the job.
    Last edited by je_fro; 07-13-2005 at 03:29 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Isn't using Linux enough of a rebellion for you? Afterall, you're not support Microsoft, you're not supporting Windows applications manufacturers (especially the spyware and a/v companies), and you're not buying hardware based on it's compatibility with Windows. You've saved yourself countless thousands of dollars simply by using Linux, and THAT has an impact on Micorosft and its partners.

Voting with your wallet is effective, but "me-too" tactics like using "Windoze" and "M$" is wholly ineffective in the fight against Microsoft's monopolistic practices, and makes everyone that uses Linux look like a bunch of peurile illiterate morons.

When I tell people I use Linux, I almost always get that oh-you're-one-of-them looks. I've even been asked as few times if using Linux makes me feel like a "l33t haxor". My only response to that is that I am spyware and virus free, and Linus Torvlads doesn't know I exist because Linux doesn't need to phone home whenever the temperature in my case goes up a degree.

Being a revolutionary doesn't give you the right to be un-educated or disrespectful of your opponent. Rise above the mindless hoards of propeller heads looking for some inane way of poking Microsoft in the ribs. You people are enlightened. Show the way for the others.
    I don't feel like a 'revolutionary' just because I happen to use Linux. I happen to use Linux because I gave it a shot one day, and decided that I liked it better over "Windoze".

Yes, we've all been asked if using Linux makes us "l33t h4x0rs". If you recall, there's a "h4x0r" subculture to the Windows userbase as well. There will always be people who are merely followers, people who swear by taking potshots at both Linux and Windows, merely because they use the opposite operating system. The point is, I don't say "Windoze" or "M$" because I feel the need to take a potshot at Microsoft. I use them because I can.

If you can believe it, "They" have nick names for our operating system too. I'm not, in any sense, speaking for the entire subculture of Linux users who use these "atrocities". I'm speaking on my behalf, and on my behalf alone. I don't do it to fight against Windoze users and Microshaft.

To end my little rant, where I got sidetracked many times, I just don't see it as something really worthwhile enough to argue about. You'll never be able to get rid of it completely, as even the literate of us (no offense intended, seriously.) use it from time to time.
    -----------------------
    of Social Psychology"

Thumbs up

I chose Linux because I want to get good at C++, and it's cheap. I chose Linux not just because it's a cool piece of software, but primarily for the Free software community behind it. They provide me excellent, inexpensive tools for me to learn and work with, as well as occasional support when I have trouble. All in all, a r0x0r combination.
    Life is like a Rubrick's Cube. Just when you thought you've gotten it straight on all sides, somebody comes along, says it doesn't look right, and screws it all up.

i use linux because of the open source movement. im allowed to look at the source of peoples work and edit it at my will. I dont have to pay for a freaking firewall or anti-virus subscription every year. Plus i like how everything structured.
    -zeke-

ethereal

Another big thing that got me on board was ethereal.

The windows version just died on me, and after all the effort
    of digging around on the net for a required DLL.

The Linux version didn't die, and thus I was able to complete my
    little mozilla spoof program based on ethereal output.
    (I was too damn lazy to actually learn http for real).

Better web server to. IIS does this horrible thing that results in
    one of those "send / don't send" message boxes every third time or
    so. Plus, lots of ill intent ISS exploit based requests are flying around!

I didnt choose Linux, Linux hunted me down and ambushed me behind its vast walls.
    Last edited by eskaypey; 07-14-2005 at 04:12 AM.