The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread

First time to this forum, so I figured this was as good a place as any for a first post. I switched to Linux this week (SuSE 10.0 b4)

Windows chose Linux for me. Honestly. I chose Linux because all of the reasons for NOT using Linux evaporated. Why didn't I use Linux? Configures. Learning why something something had to be done a certain way, and why it was different from "Linux to Linux" as I called it (From distro to distro). Not being able to play the games I wanted.

But over timeI was sick of reconfiguring everything in Windows, reboots, reinstalls, licensing, insane costs, constantly having to learn why something didn't work with something else, and thus having to jump through asinine hoops every time I bought a new game or app.

Then it just hit me last week. "Wait a minute", I thought. "I hate to reconfigure things in Windows, but I'd have to do it in either OS (compilings), and Linux is more stable. Reinstalls in Windows are out of hand, but in Linux, I'd probably be reinstalling to find either a) the new verion of what I have, or b) a fun new distrobution. There is no licensing, like there is with Windows. Costs is how much I pay for the CD's they're on. And now my brother is playing all the games in Cadega, that I play in Windows (Guild Wars, WoW, MxO). Why am I not using Linux again?"

That, and the Validation Tool (Yet ANOTHER red-tape hoop that causes problems for some people who have legally bought the game) and M03.

So I began my search for a distrobution this week.

Quote Originally Posted by noVus
    But over timeI was sick of reconfiguring everything in Windows, reboots, reinstalls, licensing, insane costs, constantly having to learn why something didn't work with something else, and thus having to jump through asinine hoops every time I bought a new game or app.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Back when I was using Windows I reisntalled the OS twice a year, so until I had everything up and running again with all drivers and apps installed it was a good two days' work.

Now with Linux I reinstalled twice a year again - but not out of necessity, but curiosity. Too mayn distros out there to try. However, now I have settled with Debian that runs just smoothly and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. Must be the effect of age.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

friend recommended it as an alternative to my low budget general computer use. Gave it a shot off and on for about 6 months became comfortable after a while, haven't looked back since.

LinuX has chosen me.

Hello to all, for the past couple of days I have been trying to research my Options for a new OS to run on a PC I plan on building once I recieve all the parts I ordered. Fact is I'm totally new in both areas but yet I have already committed myself to building it.->http://homepage.mac.com/jymac/The_Fh...toAlbum31.html Yes I am a Mac User searching for alternatives, not from Mac but from the WinOS. Sorry to the Win faithful no pun intended but I have read enough to know that I don't want to get into security issues and reinstalling every 6 months, after all I'm in a MacOSX TiGer environment and I forgot what a crash feels like. I know I will have my initial problems and supernatural learning curve but I think it will be worth it after reading the post. Thx for your testamonials I am convinced I wanna use Linux as my first OS outside of Mac. Only problem I have is I don't know anything about windows or linux, I have no code skills whatsoever and although I'm getting all these comp parts I have no clue what is compatible or not and I have never built a comp before. I am happy with the mac environment but I game alot and want to take advantage of all this interesting knowledge. So I'm in a committed pickle and I hope someone sees my thread and needs and can help me get going.

Back in 2000 I got my first computer. I happened to be in staples one day and saw Mandrake 7.2 on the shelf. It was an os that I had never heard of, I was feeling adventurous so I bought it. I've been using linux ever since and am currently using Debian Sarge. I'm about to embark on the installation of Debian testing and Slackware, also muLinux on some old laptops.

peace V
    Does God Love everyone? What makes you so sure?

I am tired of trying to keep windows xp, 2k from crashing during intense(4hr+) gameplay. I am tired of Windows not utilizing the power my overclocked setup has. Im sooo tired of rebooting, and reformating, and reactivating and reloading winXp because winXP has a bad hair day, for no reason. I want something stable, powerful, tweakable which can play any WIndow based game.

Im a little worried though, i havent seen anything good about playing eq2 on linux. mayby im not looking in the correct place. PM me PLEASE if you find info to the countrary.

Quote Originally Posted by FhaeTon
    Sorry to the Win faithful no pun intended but I have read enough to know that I don't want to get into security issues and reinstalling every 6 months, after all I'm in a MacOSX TiGer environment and I forgot what a crash feels like. I know I will have my initial problems and supernatural learning curve but I think it will be worth it after reading the post. Thx for your testamonials I am convinced I wanna use Linux as my first OS outside of Mac.
    Well, then you will be glad to hear that Linux and OSX nicely play together. I am a Linux user for three years now on my desktop system, but last December I bought a 12" powerbook. I like Linux better because I can configure it exactly the way I want so it fits my workflow, but OSX is nicer in terms of eye candy and the ability to run proprietary applications more easily.

As you are a newbie to Linux I suggest you pick an easy distribution first like SuSE, Mandriva or Ubuntu. Have a look here in iso-confused to get an impression on why people like various distributions. And yes, there are also distributions that can be installed on the powerpc - just in case you wanna dual boot Linux/OSX on your G5.
    Last edited by Parcival; 09-19-2005 at 11:46 AM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

I started using windows in 91 thats Windows 3.0 and man i loved it, of course it was pirated...
    Well I got turned onto linux 1 year ago and I havn't looked back except to download Borg XP for freinds and family who dont want to try linux.....

Instead of downloading pirated software and install it for them, you'd better educate them.

Smile I chose Linux Because

I chose Linux because I dont want to help Microsoft spy on the world, but really its far more interesting than windows,
    My Box
    IBM IntelliStation M pro

My reason was simple.
    I got pissed when I heard that XP needed an actication key. I am not a tree huger by no means, but at the same time I dont want to be treated like a puppy by corporate cigar smoking s***heads.
    DMR
    no one is really going to hear you scream....

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------

unfortunatley I think micrsoft is going to control the world because there are to many innocent people out there who trust big corporations, I just love linux for its freedom of expression,its freedom of choice of distros, no such choice with windows,its the latest or go without.
    My Box
    IBM IntelliStation M pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tone39
    unfortunatley I think micrsoft is going to control the world
    I don't think so. Earlier, people believed IBM is going to control the world, but Microsoft blew them away and IBM hardly managed to survive.

Today, people believe Microsoft is going to control the world, but with Google we already have a new competitior at the horizon - and Redmond is really afraid of Google, just look at their latest encounters in courts.

Running a Linux distribution is a good way of saying No to Microsoft. However, one day there will be the point when we have to think better again about what search engine we should use. Until then I'm happily counting down the days for Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    ...and Redmond is really afraid of Google, just look at their latest encounters in courts...
    What do you mean?

Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS