The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread - Page 8

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread

Because I wanted to learn more about computers. and after the windows ı'm looking another os,more professional than so I choose the linux

Because Linux is better than Windows... Now i use FreeBSD, thinking of going back to Linux as kernel 2.6 is said to be stable as FreeBSD and because of its popularity.

Free Swag

Once upon time, when I was a wee lad, I knew this rich guy that was a "programmer". At the time, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I knew I wanted to be rich because you can't get the girls if you aren't rich. Then I learned from this rich "programmer" that being a "programmer" isn't a genetic or mental defect. In fact anyone could learn to be a programmer, but they'd need a "compiler". Then I read somewhere that this "Linux" thing was giving away free compilers called "gcc". And the rest, as they say, is history.

Now, I'm trying just trying to figure out step 2.

1. Become a programmer
    2. ???
    3. Profit!
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by voidinit
    Once upon time, when I was a wee lad, I knew this rich guy that was a "programmer". At the time, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I knew I wanted to be rich because you can't get the girls if you aren't rich. Then I learned from this rich "programmer" that being a "programmer" isn't a genetic or mental defect. In fact anyone could learn to be a programmer, but they'd need a "compiler". Then I read somewhere that this "Linux" thing was giving away free compilers called "gcc". And the rest, as they say, is history.

Now, I'm trying just trying to figure out step 2.

1. Become a programmer
    2. ???
    3. Profit!
    lol I Program in Windows and I am poor.

Open Source, Modular, Dependable, Stable, Secure, Customizable, Efficient,

Linux is pure good will, and an excelent example of what humanity is capable of when dollar signs aren't a factor.

'Nuff said.
    Registered Linux User #383705 - http://counter.li.org/
    laptop pentium16 1400ghz Gentoo 2012.1 e23/kde6.0
    desktop pentium16 1500ghz Debian 5.01

I'm ashamed that I didn't convert to linux earlier than I actually did. I used to think that linux was only for those with esoteric knowledge of mainframes and advanced programming. And so I stuck with windows, although I was unhappy with the biblical proportioned plague of viruses, malware, spyware, crashes, reboots and so on ad infinitum.

I like so much about linux there just isn't space to say it all. I love the control it gives me over problem solving and learning as much as I like, the only limits are myself and not the software. Also the spirit of open source and of the community as a whole makes me realize that there are people out there with the desire to help others.

Currently using a newbie friendly SUSE 9.2

why I got into linux...donating computers and malware

Hi,
    my boy is a practicing astronomer. I'm a retired teacher, now teaching in a j/c whereat I use powerpoint and do a newsletter where I use a scanner.

My boy is a power Linux user, mostly science stuff, and uses a Mac for personal stuff and Linux on it for the science stuff..

He kept saying I ought to try out Linux but I kept pointing out that, as of about a year ago...that Linux wasn't "stable" enough....it HAS to work each and every time I get on the machine....it took "setup time" which is time that I don't have to spend...and it didn't have three key things, for me;

a) scanner support
    b) a "publisher" type thing that was more than just something that you could put a border around the page
    c) a "powerpoint" type program...

I'd tried several distros and they just didn't cut it in one or more ways...

Wellllllllll then I found out I could assemble computers and donate them(from dollar parts) and sometimes "mod" them...for kids and retired folks and Hispanics...(I do ESL also)...

And all of a sudden I needed a Linux to install.....I went through a BUNCH....and settled on Xandros.....only to fnd out later that......IT JUST WORKED.....I'm using the presentation now for my lectures, the OO, you all know this...duuuhh...is really a publisher light.....

BUT.....no scanner....however, BROTHER to the rescue...buying a Brother MFC 420CN scanner/printer etc. last month made me Windoze freeeee!

and....also, I had been involved with Castle Cops for a while(was almost a responder, but had to quit due to finances(two jobs!)...and was sick and tired of malware and Norton anti-do nothing...

And, that's how I came to linux....that's my story....and I'm stickin' to it!

ain't xandros great!
    woodsmoke

Quote Originally Posted by gehidore
    [offtopic]

IMO the best free or even non free anti viri for win is AVG from grisoft.
    [/offtopic]

Now, guy, that is just tricksey as Smeagol used to say....I'm actually a biologist and thought...well there's a term that looked like it might be real or might be a "twist" so I googled "stomatopod" and what did I get? What "looked" like a site about glowing brine shrimp and a "popup" for Firefox?

Now, I'm writing this in Firefox, but jumped out to use MYIE2 that I also keep on this machine, because it is dedicated as a Windoze for an online second job I have....

Annnnnddddd......when I go there using Firefox....no popup!

I'm going to tell one of my students that has to dual boot his laptop with Windoze and Fedora Core 3 at the j/c(whereat I teach) to take a look there when he's in Windoze....he's in a digital art class that uses Windoze..and is taking "certification" clases for Fedora or one of those.......he, he, he, he....

Veerrrryyyyyy tricksey!

ain't Xandros great
    woodsmoke

Linux chose me. I had to start supporting it at work. The more I learned about it, the more I loved using it. Right now I have dropped Windows2000 completely, and its supposed to be our "Corporate Standard". I figure if any big company would switch to a linux distro it would 1) save them a load of money 2) make them a lot more productive 3) prevent any kind of BS we get with M$ (viruses, trojans, spyware, etc.).

The only reason I'm still using Windows @ home, is cause of the games... those damn games..
    Registered Linux User # 394318

Some random rant from Slashdot that made me laugh:

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ck
    The only reason I'm still using Windows @ home, is cause of the games... those damn games..
    Doom3, Quake4, and America's Army all run natively on Linux. What more do you need
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    I don't think so. Earlier, people believed IBM is going to control the world, but Microsoft blew them away and IBM hardly managed to survive.

Today, people believe Microsoft is going to control the world, but with Google we already have a new competitior at the horizon - and Redmond is really afraid of Google, just look at their latest encounters in courts.

Running a Linux distribution is a good way of saying No to Microsoft. However, one day there will be the point when we have to think better again about what search engine we should use. Until then I'm happily counting down the days for Microsoft.
    Google has been starting to show a lot of similar tendencies to Microsoft lately (eg gmail message hoarding and Google Desktop nosey-parkering) so I have moved to Teoma. I notice much more appropriate results and no results hijacking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    Doom3, Quake4, and America's Army all run natively on Linux. What more do you need
    Battlefield 2 ?
    Registered Linux User # 394318

Some random rant from Slashdot that made me laugh:

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

Manual Configuration SUCKS

I'm sick of it. Every time I want to do something in linux, THERE IS A WAY! I might have to learn a few things, but there is a way. With Winblows, there is no way. The **** is useless. My friend just got a 802.11G wireless card installed the drivers and card. Now, the only networks he can see are ones that broadcast their ESSID. I can get him on our network or neighbours network so long as the ESSID is being broadcast. As soon as I stop broadcasting the ESSID, the POS Winblows loses the connection and will not manualy pick up the ESSID when you enter it manually. The `Wizzard' requires that you use WEP or WPA, which I don't 'cause:

1) I'm too lazy
    2) The **** is cracked anyway, so if anyone truely wants to get in they can, unless I spend some time everyday to play with my wireless...F that! Then again, they might get lucky and have it cracked in 6 minutes. I have the number of DHCP users limited to the number of PCs I have, which all run 24/7. Also, the remote managment is set to off so they have to have a hardwire connection to configure the router. Not only that but some dude down the road has an ESSID of `NETGEAR' on a completely open network.

Yeah I should encrypt the network, and I'll get around to it sometime...eventually.

Correction, the POS windows box will detect the network (when it feels like it) but WILL NOT acquire an IP.
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    Alice, Steam (runs with wine (or at least it used to)), Fear, Prey, Hellgate: London

Last two haven't been released yet, but I'm buying both as soon as they hit shelves.
    Registered Linux User #383705 - http://counter.li.org/
    laptop pentium16 1400ghz Gentoo 2012.1 e23/kde6.0
    desktop pentium16 1500ghz Debian 5.01

damit!! i chose linux because it was the only cd's that would boot up the night i was building this cracker box!!!