Quote Originally Posted by premier69
Hello, This is my first post and will probably be my first act in the linux world, you see I'm getting pretty fed up with microsoft and windows and wanted to learn how to change that.

I'm using my computer for streaming via smb to the xbox, photoshop, dreamweaver/golive, downloading stuff, browsing, stuff like that!

I have an Asus P4P800 mobo, with 4 stick of 256mb ram in dual / linear mode.
A 3.0GHz P4, an Ati Radeon 9800 pro card, a controllercard with 4 hdd's and a sata raptor disk for windows.

I would like to be able to pretty much do what i do today but in a linux newbie friendly enviroment.

I have NEVER used linux before but am growing more and more fascinated by it's world daily.

I have ADSL 8mbit down and 1mbit up.
I am very PC self-educated in hardware and windows but totaly novice in the ways of linux.

I am very eager to learn linux but I'm probably known as a slow learner.
I would suggest starting off with Opensuse 10.1. Then you can "graduate" to another more complex distro after you are comfortable with the file structure, basic configuration,etc of linux. It is different than Windows- no registry, no .dll files, etc.
Opensuse 10.1
Get all 5 of the cd's downloaded plus the add-on cd (it contains flash, Realplayer, Acobat reader, and some others)
Or Newbie Guide To An Opensuse FTP Install is another method.
Linux newbie Administration Guide is a helpful resource.