The [Main] What Distro should YOU use? - Page 13

View Poll Results: Best Distro for Low resource PC?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dam Small Linux

20 11.76%
  • Debian

42 24.71%
  • Feather Linux

3 1.76%
  • Gentoo

13 7.65%
  • Puppy Linux

9 5.29%
  • Slackware

38 22.35%
  • SuSE

9 5.29%
  • Vector

10 5.88%
  • Yoper

0 0%
  • Other

26 15.29%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: The [Main] What Distro should YOU use?

Corporate customers need someone to call and yell at. If they can't blame Micro$haft or Red Hat, someone loses their job, and responsibility for bad decision might even *gasp* move up the chain to a VP or some rich brat with a degree in basket weaving who sits on the board. It's not so much needing everything handed to them on a plater as just needing someone to take the rap when the inevitable problem arises.

That said, I find Fedora runs fine on old hardware using a lightweight DE like the included XFCE. So I'm offended not to see my distro of choice on the list.

And yes, saying Micro$haft makes me a genius.
    "Free-market capitalism is an oxymoron." And you can quote ME.
    If you have nothing to lose then there is no risk. Risk = ((Threat * Vulnerability) / Countermeasures) * Value
    HOWTO Block Google Spyware http://4crito.com/linux/tips/block_google.html - http://4crito.com/linux/tips/dblclick.txt
    HOWTO Setup F7 w/ AMD64 CPU and nVidia GPU http://4crito.com/linux/tips/f7tips.html
    SAVE LIVES, Make Alcohol Use Illegal http://drbenkim.com/ten-most-dangerous-drugs.html

hi@all!
    i started off with kanotix about2 yrs ago, it was my first linux experience! although it is based on debian sid, i never ran into problems (and i'm one of the few chicks, that use linux ;-) ), that couldn't be resolved through the then great community via forum/irc.
    kanotix then moved onto a more stable base and some devels started a new project based on debian sid and i moved with them!
    i do an apt-get dist-upgrade every now and then, or just use the great smxi-script (former du-fixes), which makes a dist-upgrade really easy, you can use it for new kernel-install, your ati/nvidia-driver-install and lots of other nice tweaks!
    although sidux only started in dec 06, they are just about to release sidux gaia, which is the third stable release since then, plus a few previews too!

why am i telling you all this, one may ask!
    i read zugu's posts, about having to install a new os every 6 month o so, if wanting new versions of software!
    with sidux i only dist-upgrade once in a while and because it's debian sid, i have cutting-edge software!
    the scripts make sidux easy to use for newbies aswell and as i said before, the community is great and via irc you get your questions answerd in real-time! 24/7 that is! plus it has a great manual, which is available in 9 languages at the moment and a nice meta-package-installer for your needs!

i tried lots of distros and there are a few nice ones out there, which i have on partitions for playing around, but i always use sidux as my main os!

sorry, if this sounds like an advert ;-) , but i just really like sidux!

have a nice day!
    tania

schickse,

Welcome to JustLinux and share your experience with us.

I am also fond of Knoppix and Sidux as I entered into Linux when Knoppix was at the peak of being the King of Live CD at the time.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

saikee, thanks for your welcome!
    have you tried sidux? sidux gaia is about to come out early this week!

i still have kanotix on my office-box and the ppl using it never used linux before and they get around fine!
    my daughter (7 yrs old) handles sidux just fine too, but i must admit, i had to install windoze again *sighs*, cause she wanted to play the new harry-potter-game and my little pony! and i can't find my codeweavers-crossover-cd, otherwise i would have tried that first! wine wouldn't do it!
    but apart from that, i never used windoze again, i threw it off my box after spending only 2 weeks with kanotix! i have learned more about my box in that time then with windoze in a couple of yrs!
    and i am still learning every day and i love it! i love it, when i find small commands that make my every day use a lot easier!
    at first i mainly used gui-based stuff, but as time went on i got to love my shell! and my typing has improved since then!

i'm now moving onto learning how to write little scripts for my needs, any good help-website is appreciated!

concerning the poll, i voted for puppy, as that is one fast little bugger on old pc's, as it loads completly into RAM!
    and i like how ppl design their own puplets, which one can download via the forum! there is a puppy around for every need, a teenpup, a female pup (expand barbie ), a mulimedia,DE/EN pup and so on and so on!
    plus, as it loads into RAM, your cd-drive is free and it is still a live-cd!
    shutting it down, your settings get saved, if you wish and the next startup is even quicker! (but not as quick as sidux boots, that is really fast! )

jeez, this post was only supposed to be a quick answer! look at it again!

cu
    tania
    ps: excuse my english, it's not my native!
    oh, and please don't forget about the sript-writing-help-website!

schickse

Welcome to the forum, for bash scripting give this a try.

Mepis

Mepis
    Hands down the easiest and most user friendly.
    Give the LiveCD a try!
    Mepis 7.0 should be final soon.

Al

Pentium 200MX
    10GB HD
    64MB EDO RAM
    12x CDROM
    4MB S3 Video

... running on DSL (Damn Small Linux) ...

Linus's choice

I've just read Linus's own observations on choosing a distro at

http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/g...k-of-the-week/

"Right now I happen to use Fedora 9 on most of the computers I have … But I actually don't care too much about the distribution, as long as it makes it easy to install and keep reasonably up-to-date … I'm a technical person, but I have a very specific area of interest, and I don't want to fight the rest. So the only distributions I have actively avoided are the ones that are known to be "overly technical" — like the ones that encourage you to compile your own programs etc. Yeah, I can do it, but it kind of defeats the whole point of a distribution for me … I like Ubuntu."

It's produced a lot of rude comments on the web, but I see his point. For some people, fettling their computers is their hobby (and a perfectly good one), but if you've got a gazillion jobs to do on it, you just want to get the thing up and running and have it stay that way.

What about SliTaz ?
    Its just 30 mb.

About time this thread was cleaned out and restarted. Most of these distros have been long obsoleted.

Well wayne123 I will bring this up to date, sort of.

So, I will list what I have for a computer and see what gives. This is a tower. Gigabyte GA-EP43-UDL3 mobo, 4 GB DDR2 800MHZ FSB, Intel Core2 DUO E8400 3GHZ 1333FSB, 2 Gig Nvidia chipped video card. Lan: Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) , Currently have 2 Hard drives, Lubuntu 13.10 (stable, sort of), and Win7 Ult.

Now I like this Lubuntu OS because it boots up/shuts down fast. But it is a nightmare for some graphics apps. I cannot run any digital camera software like DigiKam, F-Spot, GTKam, anymore. Either they crash upon startup or don't start at all. Also, I can't change my Wallpaper from what is offered with this OS, like personal pics. I tride that on a diff hdd and it messed up evrything in my Desktop Preferences. Icons on desktop are touchy; gotta click in just the right spot to get them to work. Switching windows (at bottom of screen) is just as goofy. Usually gotta click 2 or 3 times to switch windows. Back to graphics apps I do have Darktable, Gimp, RawTherapee, and Shotwell and they run very good. I even had Corel AfterShot PRO2 and it was very stable. I know there are some other bugs but these come to mind because I am trying to set up photo editing and such so I don't have to keep going back to windows mainly for photo editing.

Now I have been a Linux user for 13 years. Started out with Madrake 8.1; got tired of the windows-like crash crash crash. Switched to Kubuntu in 2006. It was good until KDE 4xx; I don't care for the fluffy 3D rendered desktop enviroment. Ran Trinity 10.10 until it became sluggish. I do not want anything with Gnome; never liked it. I had Mepis 11 for a couple years and it is good even tho it has KDE; seems to be stripped of the fluffyness. I was hoping Mepis 12 Stable would be out by now but, no luck. Debian anything is a nightmare. Too-o-o-o many issues. So I would like an OS that is fast, stable and can run the Photo apps I need and not have issues with Icons, can change mouse properties, can have more than 2 destops and be able to have a different wallpaper for each one without a meltdown, and a very important thing is the ability to go into my other hard drives through File Manager like I did with Kubuntu and here with Lubuntu; couldn't do that with Mepis. Love it.

Later. Pepse.
    Last edited by Pepse; 07-07-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    Registered Linux User: 364162.

Just about the time you think you can make ends meet somebody moves the ends.

Yep, and I'm still running gentoo/fluxbox. Since 2002. Hooray!

X.Org X Server 1.15.99.903 (1.16.0 RC 3)
    Release Date: 2014-06-04
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 3.15.1-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
    Current Operating System: Linux texas 3.15.2-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 29 23:34:48 CDT 2014 x86_64
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-3.15.2-gentoo root=/dev/sdf3 ro splash=silent,theme:natural_gentoo quiet console=tty1 vga=793
    Build Date: 25 June 2014 08:23:58PM

$ fluxbox --version
    Fluxbox 1.3.5-gentoo : (c) 2001-2011 Fluxbox Team
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

The rise and fall of Damn Small Linux is one of those tales along the lines of a great concept executed well. The idea was to create a Linux distro that was small enough to fit on a credit-card sized CD-ROM. With a target size of 50MB or less, this format certainly concentrates the developers' minds if they also want to create a hassle-free user experience.

For the most part, DSL does succeed. Based on the grandfather of all Live CDs, Knoppix, DSL strips out layer after layer of non-essential stuff, while leaving a core working system.
    Last edited by bestellen; 09-22-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Distros come and distros go - one gentoo to rule them all

--still running gentoo/fluxbox after all these years
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I'm using Lubuntu on an old PC,
    There is some issues when it cames to installing new software but, in general, it's good.