The [Main] What Distro should YOU use? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Best Distro for Low resource PC?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dam Small Linux

20 11.76%
  • Debian

42 24.71%
  • Feather Linux

3 1.76%
  • Gentoo

13 7.65%
  • Puppy Linux

9 5.29%
  • Slackware

38 22.35%
  • SuSE

9 5.29%
  • Vector

10 5.88%
  • Yoper

0 0%
  • Other

26 15.29%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] What Distro should YOU use?

Three recommemdations to make. Debian Sarge, DebianPure (debianpure.com) and Ubuntu. If you can wait until next month, Ubuntu 5.10 - Breezy - will be out. Obviously all three are debian based. I think Debianpure has a leg up on the original because it come with some of the features most folks can't do without or expect. Like Flash, Java and multimedia. I'd go with a netinstall for both the original Debian and DebianPure. There is no netinstall for Ubuntu that I"m aware of. But that's OK because you only need one CD to install it. Unlike other distros that require 4 or 5 CDs.

Just to throw you off a little, Ubuntu is my main desktop. Love it. One other thing to knock you off stride - Frugleware. Great distro. But it's not for newbies.

I've run all three on my old PC which has:

PIII 550 Mhz processor
    384 Mb ram
    ATI Mach 64 video card
    10Gb HD
    CD-Rom

Not exactly a speed demon, that old PC, but not bad at all. They all preform very nicely.
    Last edited by loopback48; 09-11-2005 at 04:26 AM.

Anyone...................... I have installed debian sarge on 3 comps and have not gotten x to start once.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyestaylor
    Anyone...................... I have installed debian sarge on 3 comps and have not gotten x to start once.....
    This thread is not the place to ask about this. Post again in the software section and instead of periods include useful information like a dmesg, what vid card and what you've tried.

What apps do you use most?
    Most office applications and maybe some games
    Also wanna try allocating my 2 hdd sapce to my sister pc only tru login... cant seem to able able to do this on my windows PC

Do you have a broadband connection?
    Yes cable broadband. My cable modem is behind a wireless G router

How familiar are you with computers?
    i'm very good wif Hardware but know 'nuts' abt software

How familiar are you with Linux?
    tried red hat 9.0 before and had a horrid time installing the geforce drivers for my video card

How much time are you willing to invest into learning Linux?
    i'm taking it slow i wanna know mostly how to allocate hdd space for all users in the workgroup and maybe password protect it.. I willing to spend the next 3 months just to learn.

How powerful is your computer?
    Intel 2.8 GHz Lga775
    1GB DDR 400 ram
    Gigabyte intel 915 chipset mobo
    2 x 36GB raptors raid 0 on a PCI silicon image raid card
    200GB hdd
    16x DVD+- RW
    Ati X700 pro gfx card
    Pinnacle pctv pro (tv card)
    Creative audigy2zs sound card

so can anyone help..... i wanna go back to linux and maybe put good u use to ite especially the hdd space sharing part

Firefox, aterm, Eterm, irssi, centericq, mplayer, xmms, dcpp, amule, bash (is fluxbox an app?)

8/1Mb/s ADSL

Been using computers from childhood. First ones being Spectravideo and C64.
    First PC was Toshiba "laptop" with 286 cpu and 8MB ram. Lot playing with MS-DOS, modems and BBS stuff. I never got into windows 3.1. With Windows 95 i finally switched to windows, but didn't like it because my games ran slower under it than under DOS. With internet i was finally forced to jump into windows wagon. Tried linux about a year ago, converted in instant.

I always assemble my computers. (have done so for last 10 years) So i know its interior well too.

Umm..i dunno. More familiar than with windows and I want to learn more.
    Familiar distros. Ubuntu, Debian, Knoppix, DSL.
    Little experience of Gentoo and Red Hat.

as long as i enjoy learning it...much

1GHz Duron ,640MB, 9800pro
    Athlon 3000+, 1GB, x800xt pe

Im going to buy a thinkpad X41 laptop soon. So that i can enjoy installing linux again. With my desktop puters i havent had any hardware issues. almost everything has worked "right out of the box" and things i've had to set up myself have all been very straighforward.

I hope laptop will give me some challenges. Atleast i'll learn how to boot from network. Im still not quite sure if im going to put debian or gentoo on it. Or maybe i should even try slackware. I don't know. I like simplicity of debian and apt-get very much. Gentoo install might be a boring experience. i've done stage 1 install once before and it took loooong, tho i learned a few things, but mainly it was just waiting for something to compile. Otherwise i think id like gentoo, maybe id like even portage. I never used it enough to make my mind. Good package manager is something i want. Nothing against compiling stuff tho...i do that quite much. But i dont like playing with dependansies, searching and installing libraries. Maybe slackware isn't for me? Im sure i'd be happy with debian, but maybe im missing something by sticking to it
    Last edited by ladoga; 12-25-2005 at 07:01 AM.
    ladoga

Folding, light parlor games

This one will be on a "T1" line.... Whoa! don't get excited it is one T1 line going to 260 apartments and is often slower than a 28.8 modem.

Hardware pretty good, rudimentary familiarization with Windows

I have tried dual booting many times and always revert to Windows. I have tried Debian very briefly, and longer on Red Hat, Mandrake, Lycoris, Suse

This will be a Linux only machine, I have other computers for Windows tasks. I intend to do better Linux wise

EPoX 8RDA6+ Pro
    Sempron 2800+
    2 x 256 Kingston PC3200
    ATI AIW 9600 XT
    Seagate 80 Gig Sata HDD
    In-Win Mid-Tower (C583)
    Power Man 350 W PSU 18 Amps on +12V rail (looks well cooled, I believe it to be In-Win's house brand)(I have a Seasonic S-12 430W new, waiting to be called)

I want to learn how to install things os the Distro, I am easily frustrated that there are so many different terms and ways to do the same thing within the different distros. ONE way is all I desire at the moment.
    Wall socket? You have to plug it in to a wall socket?

Open office, fire fox, also needs any good media player
    No I will have to buy the disks.
    Not to bad I can do tech help for my friends but nothing too fancy, no formal training.
    Minimal. I've played with red hat a little (Not much at all). And have Mandrake 10.1 running on a half dead p.o.s. laptop.
    If I can get it working within the first few weeks or so, I plan to keep using it as my primary OS, so a long time.

AMD 64 +3000
    nVidia 6600 (256 megabyte) (have had driver problems with fedora core 4 and mandrake 10.1)
    512 ram
    250GB Sata hard drive with 16 Mb of cashe (Some linux has problems with this I read somewhere)
    MSI K8N Neo4

I am confortable in gnome and would just like to get a distro to work on my computer so I can start learning.

I want to: surf the net, get email, play those great free games, watch and listen to movie/music files (many many formats), have an office program, and some day run some form of wine.

Here are my quick thoughts on the overall topic:

I prefer a distro that I can choose the packages that go in and out very very specfically. Thats why I prefer Debian becuaes I can install the base then just apt the programs I really want. Now I realize that not everyone is like this and alot of people just like to be able to install it and having it all up and running. Alot of people starting Linux are confused by things like Gnome vs KDE vs xfce vs fluxbox.

I think that for Windows > Linux converts KDE is the easiest GUI. I know that both gnome and kde can be configured to look the same but KDE comes out the the box looking and feeling alot like windows. Also, the distro should have GREAT hardware detection cause most startups dont want to be compiling kernel modules and modprobing stuff. Finally, the distro must be full featured with most commonly used apps and Windows to Linux functionalty buit in.

Therefore by this standard a few distros come out on top. First MEPIS becuase it comes with great hardware detection and a ton of different things (like mplayer, nvidia, and realplayer) preinstalled and set up. Second, SuSE is great because it has really great hardware detection on some obsecure things.

I personally started with Fedora, and hated it ! I then moved to MEPIS a bit later and fell in love with Linux, I did everything in MEPIS and stoped using Windows all together. After some time I began getting interested in installing Linux on old computers and I learned Debian and have since stuck with Debian as my Linux distro of choice. On really old hardware (200Mhz or less) I use FreeBSD becuase it seems to be faster on really old hardware like that.

My overall point in this is that Linux shot be simple at first to get the user to begin to like it and prefer it. Then work into understanding crazy stuff. Now I have quite a few X-less Linux and BSD machines spread throughout my house and am very fammilar with Unix in general now. I know some people disagree with this idea and want to throw new users into config files and the command line (*cough* Slackware *cough*) but I think easing in the user is best.
    "If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it." -Linus Torvalds

hell i dont know , this the only distro ive ever tried? 2.4.20-8 (shrike) im impressed....

my desk has gnome, x11, and kde, some how i think the iso's i was given were ,hmmmm? custom? 8hrs of downloading, 14 gigs on 3 dvd's, i must of been lucky that night, no errors on 3 dvd's thats like a royal flush!!!
    Last edited by NighttimePunk; 04-12-2006 at 03:12 AM.

I'll list the windows programs I use, since I am not that familiar with Linux yet: Opera, Irfanview, CDisplay, Bit Comet, Photoshop, and mIRC.

Yes.

Not very.

Ditto.

As much as necessary, but it isn't coming easily for me.

- 533 mhz Intel Processor
    - 160 mb SDRAM
    - 80 & 250 GB Hard Drive

My ideal distro would be something easy to use and install, like Mepis or Ubuntu, but able to run on my computer. Something that had a live CD (And preferably a graphical installer on the CD.) I know Ubuntu and Mepis could probably run on my system, but I think they would be very slow. I also tried Xubuntu, which is supposedly an Ubuntu derivative for low-end machines, but the installer hangs at the third step. (When you set your timezone and location.)

I have used the Damn Small Linux CD a lot, and even had it installed on a spare hard drive for awhile, but it is too difficult to use for my liking. (And if there are still any doubts after that statement, yes, I am a complete and utter computer retard.)

I cannot make a working CD of Puppy Linux, it asks me for a username and password, which, according to their forums, means something is wrong with the image. I redownloaded and reburned it, still no go.

And I have not tried Vector due to the fact that it does not boot from the CD.

I would be most grateful to anyone that could point out a distro that meets my needs.

Good Morning

I'm new to the forum and new to linux, however I would like to learn more about linux and I'm willing to put in the work required. I would like to dual boot linux with my current Windows XP OS. Which distro would you reccomend, I have limited knowledge of linux, I have messed around with RedHat 7.2, just some command line stuff. My current laptop specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron 9400
    Duo Core Processor 2.16
    2Gb Memory
    100Gb Hard Drive
    256Mb Nvidia GeForce Go 7800
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Card
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio
    DVD rewriter etc
    I have a broadband connection linked to my Belkin 54g Wireless router.

I am familiar with computers and have worked with Microsoft products for many years, I mainly use MS Office apps and the internet is a must for me.

I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Regards

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by newtonbabbage
    I am familiar with computers and have worked with Microsoft products for many years, I mainly use MS Office apps and the internet is a must for me.
    Most of us have used MS products for many years until they did the switch. Once you do it, however, you will find out that your knowledge of Windows is only limited help and Linux will look like an alien world several times.

I would like to dual boot linux with my current Windows XP OS.
    Virtually every distro boots with Windows, most of them will automatically detect it. Just make sure to install Windows first (or shrink an NTFS partition) and install Linux second.

Which distro would you reccomend, I have limited knowledge of linux, I have messed around with RedHat 7.2, just some command line stuff.
    It depends on what you are looking for. If you want an easy to use distro, go for SuSE. It has KDE as default desktop and YaST which is similar to Windows' system settings.

If you want a distro with the goal to learn as much as possible about Linux in a short period of time, if you want to keep your focus on the command line instead of some fancy GUI, if you want a system perfectly tailored to your needs, and if you have a high level of frustration, then I suggest you go with Gentoo.

If you think you are somewhere inbetween, then I recommend Debian or Ubuntu/Kubuntu (has the more current software packages). These distros will do most things automatically for you, but every once in a while you will still be required to fire up a shell and do some manual editing.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Many thanks for the quick reply, I want to learn Linux and mainly the CLI stuff, I am however concerned about the availability of certain drivers, especially the ones for my wireless card.

Anyway, I will give it a go, many thanks again for your assistance.

Kevin

Many thanks for the quick reply, I want to learn Linux and mainly the CLI stuff, I am however concerned about the availability of certain drivers, especially the ones for my wireless card.
    Yes, I noticed you have very decent/new hardware, so I'm not sure how good hardware support is for your setting. However, I can say that I didn't have any problems with hardware that sits inside the case for the last two years anymore. The only stuff giving me headaches sometimes is external hardware like printers, scanners, etc.

Wireless cards often lack Linux support because the vendor doesn't care. However, depending on the chip that sits on the card you may still have a driver. In other words, the chip is important, not the card type, sometimes the vendors change the chip on the same card. If you don't have Linux drivers for your wireless, you may still be lucky running Ndiswrapper. I don't really know anything about Linux and wireless since I don't have wireless, but if you search the forums you will find a wealth of answers.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)