The [Main] What Distro should YOU use? - Page 8

View Poll Results: Best Distro for Low resource PC?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dam Small Linux

20 11.76%
  • Debian

42 24.71%
  • Feather Linux

3 1.76%
  • Gentoo

13 7.65%
  • Puppy Linux

9 5.29%
  • Slackware

38 22.35%
  • SuSE

9 5.29%
  • Vector

10 5.88%
  • Yoper

0 0%
  • Other

26 15.29%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] What Distro should YOU use?

i would use slackware for that hardware. simple install and runs fast . i would install slack-get which is much like debians apt-get.

slackware 10.2 will do you just fine for that older hardware. Debian would also probably do ok . Are you strickly running CLI or a GUI ? if running a GUI run fluxbox a very light resource x manager.

I would also make sure you don't have any deamon runnings that you don't need. good luck . if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

whats best for mah

Specs

Dell latitude c600 laptop

750 mhz p3
    256mb ram
    ati radeon 8mb video card
    10gb harddrive
    dvd rom

Do i know linux

Yes i have been on it for 3 months

I want a good distro i used suse ,redhat, fedora and i wasnt satisfied. I am intrested in debain but im not sure. I hate GNOME. I love kde,flukebox.icewm but not gnome

apps?

gaim openoffice ap2p filesharer and some crappy games firefox/opera

so what distro is best for me i need one that can do everything
    WIndows xp is like milk ...it always expires
    -ghacker

Dell latitude c600
    Pentium 3/750mhz
    Suse 10 (kde)
    10gb hd
    256 mb ram

Quote Originally Posted by G-hacker
    I am intrested in debain but im not sure. I hate GNOME. I love kde,flukebox.icewm but not gnome
    I suggest to try the Kubuntu LiveCD.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

PCLinuxOS

Those specs will run PCLinuxOS quite nicely. I have tried mandrake, RH, fedora, knoppix, and SimplyMepis. I have found PCLinuxOS to be the most out-of-the-box ready distribution I have yet encountered.

yeah but i tried all of those pclinux ods is great but the installation is corrupted um mandrake ill look at that
    WIndows xp is like milk ...it always expires
    -ghacker

Dell latitude c600
    Pentium 3/750mhz
    Suse 10 (kde)
    10gb hd
    256 mb ram

What would be the best for an artist

Hello!

I have an artist friend who is currently thinking of trying Linux. Obviously he is going to want a version that will meet his particular needs. Controlling high end printers and scanners, picture editing and archiving, possibly media work (although this is by no means certain).

I intend to custom build the box myself (I build much better than I type) so I can concentrate on the things that I think a system for hiim would require such as high end graphics etc etc.

Any recommendations for a particular distro would be welcome.

tj
    Last edited by tiffanyjane; 06-23-2006 at 04:38 PM.

I am intrested in debain but im not sure. I hate GNOME. I love kde,flukebox.icewm but not gnome
    you can stil use kde or fluxbox . i have fluxbox in debian just fine. i can't run kde on that box it wouldnt' run good. I just started using debian and its a good distro.

for a faster machine i would try gentoo if you have the patience to learn how it does stuff like the portage system( which is by the far the smartest package manger ever !!!! )
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyjane
    I have an artist friend who is currently thinking of trying Linux. Obviously he is going to want a version that will meet his particular needs. Controlling high end printers and scanners, picture editing and archiving, possibly media work (although this is by no means certain).
    Before you are starting for a Linux journey, search the web if drivers for your printer and scanner are available. For picture editing the GIMP is the program to go, it's almost as good as Photoshop. The problem is I say almost because the GIMP so far does no CMYK which is generally a "no go" factor for graphic professionals.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

What Distro to Use

I'm a newbie. I'm going to be streaming about 8 different channels of quicktime video and audio that will run 24hrs a day from my dedicated Linux server. I will also stream Live video/audio from my apple computer to my linux server for live webcasts. On-Demand streams will be available on my linux server as well. I'm going to install Darwin Streaming Server from Apple and it will serve my video and audio.

I would like to have cPanel intalled because most of the reviews I've read gave it high marks. I have these choices to choose from from my hosting provider. Which one would give me the least amount of problems? I know almost nothing about this and want to make this as simple as possible. As far as remote desktops are concerned I'm open to suggestions. Any suggestions to a complete newbie would be grateful!!!

CentOS 4.x
    Red Had Linux 9
    Red Hat Fedora
    SuSe
    FreeBSD
    Debian

Pentium IV - 2.4Ghz / 1MB cache
    2GB DDR RAM
    2x 120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache
    100Mbps Ethernet Port
    1 Terra Byte Transfer
    CPanel

number1talent: If all you're going to use to configure it is some web client, I'd use freeBSD. On every box I've ever tried it on it's been faster than linux, and that's what you want for a server. ALso, it doesn't sound like you'll be configuring a printer or loading glx drivers, so you probably won't even be able to tell the difference...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Thanks for the help Je Fro. I will not be hosting any other websites on my server. I'll be running my own website only and ease of use and stability is the most important thing to me.

It's a remote server right? If all you'll be using is the gui tools provided by the hosting company, then it won't matter much which distro you choose. They will all have about the same "user friendlyness" and stability.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

general suggestion request

Wow, most forums say "research first and this ask questions if you're really stuck" This thread just lets ask questions with all our newbie gusto- thank you. Okay, first to answer the questions from the main post:

-What apps do you use most?
    winamp (moving to amarok)
    MS Money (gnucash? looks a little rough)
    Firefox
    Google's Picasa w/digital camera (haven't tried with linux)

-Do you have a broadband connection?
    yes

-How familiar are you with computers?
    very comfortable with Windows and MS apps, but no programming skill

-How familiar are you with Linux?
    1 month of playing/reading

-How much time are you willing to invest into learning Linux?
    4 to 8 hrs per week (I play with it after work a couple times/wk)

-How powerful is your computer?
    Not sure... it's a franken-puter that was given to me.
    6GB HD from around the year 2000
    1200 MHz Intel Celeron (i think)
    512 RAM (i think)
    newish 120GB external HD for music, pic, files

This is for my home where we have another desktop and a laptop (windows XP machines). My first successful live CD was Damn Small Linux. Next installed Xubuntu. I'm having trouble installing apps and plugins that I can't find in the package manager, so I need to do more research & possibly find an OS more newbie friendly (guess I'm going to try Mephis suggested in other posts)

Are there any distro's that are Window's network friendly? We've got Window's shared folders on a different computer that I'd like to access. I tried to download and read up on Samba, but it made me a bit dizzy. I'm all for putting in the time and effort, but if there's an easy answer please let me know.

Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by zesty142; 08-07-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot title

I voted for Slackware, because in the real world that's what I use on older, slower systems. If the system is moderately slow, then I'll run kde with the eye-candy way down, but if it's really slow, I'll use xfce or no gui at all.

However, that being said, I have also used Damn Small. It is really resource friendly and is definitely worth looking at for someone with a really old PC like a 486 or something under 200MHz.

What apps do you use most?
    instant messengers , world of warcraft, firefox

Do you have a broadband connection?
    yes cable; via linksys pci wireless card

How familiar are you with computers?
    just enough to be dangerous

How familiar are you with Linux?
    very very generally familiar with its background, not so much with the shortcuts

How much time are you willing to invest into learning Linux?
    enough

How powerful is your computer?
    not TOO bad
    2.6 GHz pentium D dual core
    1 GB DDR2 RAM (266mhz)
    200 GB HDD
    250 GB HDD
    nvidia 7600 OC (PCI-e)
    sound blaster live! 24-bit (PCI)
    linksys wireless-g card (PCI)