new comp not working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new comp not working

new comp not working

ive recently purchased some new parts to build myself a beter computer. but ive run into some problems...

ive got a fujitsu siemens D1675 mother baord, a celeron 2.0 gig processor, 512 MB memory (184 pin DDR), 128MB Nvidia Geforece fx 5200 video card, onboard sound and ethernet, and a *sighes* 10 Gig western digital HD.

when i hook everything up, and turn on the power, the cpu fan, fan of teh video card, and the power supply fan all come on.
    the CD rom drive activity light comes on a stays on, with nothing happening. the monitor will not initialize, so i cant see if the bios is being started up or not...

i would really appriciate any help, im getting tired of using /\/\$ on the family comp... thanks in advance.
    registered Linux user number 334502

LinuxHelpMe

i cant speal veri weel.

If the CDROM light is staying on....could it be a problem with the CDROM, or even the controller itself? Is there any bios beeps?

Try it without anything extra plugged in: no cd drive, hard drive; nothing besides keyboard and monitor. If that doesn't work, try it with a different stick o'ram; that is a common problem with situations like this. Also might try a diff video card if you can.

tried a different video card, no good...

cant try different memory, thats all i have. (brand new off newegg.com, in retail sealed package, so i assume it is good...)

ill try unhooking everything, then just rehookinf keyboard and mouse as suggested.

thanks for the replies...

LinuxHelpMe

i cant speal veri weel.

I can almost garuntee it is because of your CMOS memory, it needs to be reset. That same thing has happened to me a few times and resetting the CMOS has always fixed it. There will be a section of your motherboard manuel that tells you how to reset the CMOS.

Re: new comp not working

Originally posted by questionasker

the CD rom drive activity light comes on a stays on, with nothing happening. the monitor will not initialize, so i cant see if the bios is being started up or not...

Sounds like you have one or more of your IDE cables on backwards.

Re: Re: new comp not working

Originally posted by stumbles
    Sounds like you have one or more of your IDE cables on backwards.
    Possibly - but generally newer machines come with keyed cabling so you can't put them in the wrong way. Plus, it's usually floppy drives that have the 'light always on' problem......
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

im 99% positive all the cables are hooked up right.
    i read somewhere that it might be a grounding issus, so i guess i could try resetting the mobo in the case and then rehooking everything...

and there was no manual for the mobo, "new not in box" off ebay. i can tell it has never been used, but i dont have any manuals...

i also read somewhere that all D1675s are shipped from teh factory with "screens OFF: TRUE" or something in the bios, so you have to go in to the bios (F2) and reset it, but it cant tell you that because the screen is off...

shall try tinkering some more, thanks for the replies.

btw- tried getting the pdf manual from the fujitsu siemens website, but their server is not reponding...
    anyone happen to have a copy of teh manual handy..?

LinuxHelpMe

i cant speal veri weel.

Well, I tend to start with the simplest fix first, and in this case, I would check to see it the POST (Pre Operating System Test) is working. It is usually indicated by the lights on the keyboard lighting up at the same time.

I had a motherboard, an old video card, and a staticy cat. After reassembling the comp one time, I had similar problems. Case lights working (sort of), but no video. I tried every way I could think to fix the problem. I noticed the POST working, so I changed the video card, and it worked. But, in researching the problem, I learned about the POST.

Moral: Turn computer on, look for lights on the keyboard.

no, the keyboard isnt even coming on, so i dont guess i can use it to press F2 and enter the bios, can i??

and yes, they are keyed cables, i do have them in the right way.

thanks for the replies again.

LinuxHelpMe

i cant speal veri weel.

Try resetting the cmos like was suggested earlier then; just change the jumper position on your motherboard and go from there.

ive reset the CMOS, and re-seated every component on the mobo, to no avail...

someone said i needed the power supply that had the P4 certified connectof on it, i guess im just gonna hafta shell of some more moneis to get this baby working...

LinuxHelpMe

i cant speal veri weel.

Originally posted by questionasker

and there was no manual for the mobo, "new not in box" off ebay. i can tell it has never been used, but i dont have any manuals...
    Could it be a bad mobo? Damaged in shipping?
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

I still definately suggest that you find some new ram or find a way to test the old stuff. Anyone taking bets on what this computer's problem is? I got 10 on the ram.

I still definately suggest that you find some new ram or find a way to test the old stuff. Anyone taking bets on what this computer's problem is? I got 10 on the ram.

Correct me if I am wrong...if the ram was no good would it get as far as the bios trying to initiate an ide device? If the cdrom light is coming on, it is at least trying to initialize or identify the device...correct. I have always understood if the ram isn't any good *nothing* would initiate. As far as the initial POST..shouldn't the bios give a series of audible beeps? Even if there is not a problem with the MOBO or RAM the bios should give a beep; if there was a problem two or three, or one long and two short, etc., etc., etc.,(dependent upon BIOS manufacturer) would be heard during the POST. I would say listen for any audible beeps find out what the manufacturer of the bios is (AMBIOS, Phoenix, etc.,etc.) and go to their website and get the list of codes to decipher the bios beeps. I would definitly try to find the mobo documentation, just to ensure jumper or dipp switch settings are correct. Good Luck.