picking correct RPMs

Thread: picking correct RPMs

Question picking correct RPMs

howdy all,

I'm working on a RedHat 9 system that's mostly being used for learning by trial and error, hehe. When I go looking for an RPM, I usually find RPMs listed as being for Fedora Core, and very few listed for RH9.

Can I install RPMs listed for Fedora on RH9?

What about RPMs listed for other non-RedHat distros?

thanks for any input!

Gersen
    There are just 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Since Fedora is a product of RedHat, there may not be any problem. However, with all the rpm's I am able to find via google, I find it hard to believe you can't find the one you need for RH9. Since Fedora is a newer release from RH, you may have dependency problems to resolve by upgrading packages in order to use Fedora rpms.
    Then again, you could always try getting .src.rpms instead, and build binary .rpms for your RH9.
    Last edited by bigrigdriver; 04-17-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    If it ain't broke, TWEAK IT

Registered Linux user # 170078

thanks, brd!

If dependencies and versions will be the only obstacles, bring it on! Like I said, it's a learning system. I'd rather spend 3 days tweaking to fix a problem than simply re-installing a module, hehe.

G.
    There are just 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't...

much as I also enjoy digging up rpms for certain versions and spending three days looking for updates remember:

apt-get is availible for RedHat 9 natively. try:

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/
    and
    http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/

synaptic is a great way of finding and installing packages but for the extra curious... try:

http://rpm.pbone.net/

which maintains supported and unsupported rpms for nearly everything... plenty of three days looking for updates here...

Tim
    History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.
    That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.

~Calvin (and Hobbes)

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    If dependencies and versions will be the only obstacles, bring it on!
    You could always try rebuilding the rpm for your distro. If you can download the source rpm, it might work.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5