Unix/Linux careers

Thread: Unix/Linux careers

Question Unix/Linux careers

I will be graduating high school next month, and i was wondering what classes I need to take to work with Linux/Unix systems. What are some things i would be doing in this field?

that kinda depends on what you want to do.
    admin, programmer,etc

id say obviously *nix classes, C(++), PHP, SQL, networking, and prob java

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

There are two main branches of study that involve computers of any kind: Computer Science (CS) and Computer Information Systems (CIS, but can go by other names, I think).

CS is- surprise!- more scientific in nature. You'll learn generic things like algorithms, best practice / theory stuff, etc. You're kind of expected to be able to pick up programming languages on your own, though they'll often be taught in class to some extent.

CIS is more about actual problem solving / usage of technologies that exist. A more practical approach.

Both of these branches are useful and make for good synergy (phew, I just filled my daily buzzword quota!).

Hit programming hard. Read a bunch on C programming. Learn sorting algorithms, binary search trees, class, and polymorphism. Also you will want to learn the new .NET programming(yes i know its windows) And you may want to learn some networking stuff too
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

I'll add that I'm only now trying to enter the job market for IT. It's a pretty tight market, and if you can double major with computers and something else, you'll probably have a much better chance of getting a job. There's barely any demand for someone who can write perl and do basic / fun UNIX admin stuff, but someone who can do that, speak two languages and knows auto mechanics will probably have job offers before s/he can even find the time to write a resume. Me, I'm aiming for cross-platform skills (Win / Mac / *NIX), Spanish (+English) and still searching for a third thing. I'm already close to fluent in Spanish, my computer skills will make getting a degree easier, and... well, maybe I can get a job just with these two skills

Talking Thank you

Thank you all.

Actually, since you're from Georgia, you might be able to get a job working for IBM tech support. While this isn't a magnificent career move, it'll look good on a resume when compared with some other jobs you could take in college. Would you rather be able to say you worked IBM tech support while earning a degree, or that you flipped burgers for some spare cash?

Not that burger flipping is a bad job. I'm happy to say I did that for a while, and it's an underrated job... though the pay sucks

That's another big thing, though. If you've got experience, you look 100 times better to employers, both on paper and in person. I'm currently in my first office job, and it was very rocky starting out here because I had no experience of any kind that prepared me for the job. Now that I've acclimated, though, future employers will like knowing I'm not just a basement geek.

Also (maybe more than you'd hoped to hear, at this point, but you got me rambling!), advertise yourself to friends and family as someone who can provide tech support, even for Windows machines. Don't do it for money, don't do it just to be nice... do it for experience in dealing with non-techies. A people-person geek who can talk to non-techies and not look like an arrogant prick is rare in the eyes of the employer.

Wherever the pink elephant or the booze lead me
    When/if you co to college, seriously consider getting an internship/co-op position. In addition to any classes you take, the hands on you'll get from this will help.
    "As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something."
    - Hagar the Horrible

The three wise monkeys' names are Mikazaru (Hear no evil), Mizaru (See no evil) and Mazaru (Speak no evil).

I don't know how much unix/linux related a job I will be able to find when i graduate. I'm currently enrolled in a 3-year technology program (computer-control), and we're seeing a fair number of guys finishing this program and getting good jobs in industry. Now the stuff we learn is not just VB, C++, assembly, network-admin... but actual electronics also. You know, transistors, circuit design, micro-controllers...etc. Now I did see some time ago that ATI in Toronto were hiring linux people; is it possible the industry is starting to look for people who know electronics hardware, and can make linux-platform software that works on it? What do you guys think? The 3rd year guys at our school our building self-navigating robots and such, is there room in the market for linux powered robots/devices?
    Linux user #367409

Now, I am just finishing my first year of college, and have found two things. Before I get to that, I have a job at home at an ISP installing fixed-point broadband wireless, and a job here as a sort of low level *nix sysadmin.

I applied for alot of jobs here before finding my current one, and have come to realize these two things. One, it is all about people, and your ability to interact with them. If you can go in and interact with the people interviewing you on a level that is beyond the interviewer-interviewee point, than you have already demonstrated a great deal of initative. Two, selling yourself is more important than actual accomplishments. I have very little actual technical training, very much self taught, and my resume as it stands does not reflect my full capabilities. However, by emphasizing my ability and desire to learn quickly, I can get around that and portray that inexperience as more of a blank slate.

On another note, I applied for six advertised positions, and the job I ended up getting was unadvertized, at a company that I just cold-called, that I had found as a result of a google search for a Rochester Wireless ISP. None of the 7 technical positions that I applied for ever made a single contact with one of my references.

You mileage may vary...

http://counter.li.org
    http://www.joshcheney.com