About to expand my home network for wireless... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to expand my home network for wireless...

After it leaves the first switch, it runs to the back bedroom where I have a printer and 1 of my kids' computers hooked up. 2 cables go from there to outside. 1 goes to my outside building where I have an AP to cover that side of the yard, the other goes in the exact opposite direction to my Gazebo where I have another AP to cover that side of my yard. I am striving to eventually have my entire yard 'hot' which is almost 5 acres. I am not too concerned about security as my nearest neighbor is over a mile away.

Yes an AP can allow way more than one connection, I am just trying to get as much coverage as possible.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

I understand. I didn't really think about the fact that you might be covering a large area. Having 5 acres being "hot" sounds like a large and possibly expensive project. Good luck.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

I agree with the comment that the biggest difference between the D-Link and the Linksys, personal preferences aside, is the semantics of the marketing dudes, and the fact that the D-link is a 54Mbps and the Linksys is 11.

At the office I use a Linksys WRT54GS as an access point to our internal network and it works fine.

At home I have a D-Link DI-624 that I am very happy with and 3 of my friends have DI-524's that have given them no problems whatsoever. One friend and I run Linux with no issues, and D-Link support has been Linux friendly, by the way.

Between the D-Link at home and the Linksys at work, I prefer the features and interface of the D-Link, but the Linksys has third party firmware available if you're inclined to tinker.

In answer to your initial question, I don't see why either wireless router would give you any issues in your proposed setup, given a few minutes of configuration attention.

As an aside, you might try running the wireless router in the basement as the primary router, my friend's is in the basement and he has good signal throughout the house. (He even loaned it to his neighbor temporarily and could still get a signal in his own house!) I have a tri-level house and get 90-100% signal on every floor and in the basement, and acceptable signal anywhere in my yard, and at my next door neighbor's house
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

That may actually be worth looking into; could free up another computer for... personal tinkering that way if it actually worked!