LNO alt text on JustLinux logo. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LNO alt text on JustLinux logo.

Originally posted by JayMan8081
    I still like the old name better, but that's a whole nother discussion.
    I fully agree.

(the former URL was what actually made me dare to post here because I was sure I wouldn't get immediately shot in case I asked a stupid question)

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Originally posted by bs_texas
    Edit: Well, I guess Alternate text and the html tag, Title, are not the same animal.
    No, they are most definitely not.

The alt attribute is where you're supposed to put a replacement text for the image. It's for browsers like Lynx that don't display images (or for browsers that have images turned off). Or for when the image's src attribute comes back with a 404.

The title attribute (valid on any HTML tag) is where you're supposed to put a short description of the tag. It's supposed to be displayed in a tooltip-like fashion, if the browser supports tooltips. The alt tag is not supposed to be displayed in a tooltip; its only purpose is for the case where the image is missing or images are disabled.

Mozilla and Firefox do it right, IE does it wrong. (IE did it close-to-right, or at least according to the de-facto standards, when IE6 was released -- but that was some large number of years ago now, and it hasn't been updated since then.)

Originally posted by JamminJoeyB
    I think they are locking it down by application. I can launch it, but get no where out side of out intranet.
    First, check a few things:

Look at IE's proxy settings (server and port).

Figure out whether you're on a domain or workgroup, and if a domain, which OS your servers run.

Now, if you're on a domain, set FF's proxy host and port to the same as IE's. See if you can get out that way -- if it asks you for a username and password, then try your domain user/pass. If that doesn't work, and the servers are at least Windows 2000, then try setting up Kerberos in FF -- see http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netl...ated-auth.html, specifically the "Configuration" section. Turn on those settings (put your proxy server's domain name in the "trusted" pref -- don't bother with the "delegation" one though).

If you still can't get out, then it's probably looking at the user-agent string. At least one extension will let you change that string, so that might be worth a try. If it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

If you're not on a domain, though, then try duplicating the proxy settings (or not, if IE doesn't use one). If that doesn't work, then try the user-agent.

Last, you can try doing a network capture (with something like Ethereal) when you request a web site with IE versus requesting it with Firefox. Look at the response from your gateway (either the proxy or the outgoing router) to each, and see if you can figure out what's different.

bwkaz,

I thought about doing th user agent thing, but it's not really been a priorty. Maybe when I get through this project I'll have time to look at it. I'm just glad I have time to surf while databases are crunching the data for me. Things take a little while when you are looking at 5 years of data.

I've taken the time to educate myself on the faults of IE and know better.

Our place is such a huge windows shop it's not even funny. The letters OSS mean something totaly differnt to people I work with.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

I don't have access to the main HTML framework, but I'll put in another request to get it changed. With 150+ sites in Jupitermedia's universe, this is , unfortunately, a low priority.

Peace,
    Brian
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

Originally posted by JamminJoeyB
    Things take a little while when you are looking at 5 years of data.
    Yep, especially when that data is each and every item we shipped in the last 5 years, and which release authorization numbers went with each of them... we really should archive a lot of that table...

Our place is such a huge windows shop it's not even funny.
    So is the place I work.

But our IT group is fairly small (heck, our company is pretty small ). I was able to figure out from one of the others how our web access was supposed to work (the proxy, the port, etc.). Once I had that, I just had to figure out how to turn on Kerberos, and FF worked.

The rest of the IT people don't mind too much that I don't like using IE, because at least I'm using the proxy. (Although it depends -- some of us don't use the proxy all the time either. Depends on what we're testing.)

Ethereal has come in handy many many times, though.

Where was I going with this post? Crud, I can't remember...

If you still can't get out, then it's probably looking at the user-agent string. At least one extension will let you change that string, so that might be worth a try. If it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.
    Thanks for the tip. Some of the sites my school makes me use are IE-only. They even do registration for classes on a page that blocks everything but IE and a really old version of Mozilla they have on the library computers. Opera has this feature built-in to change the user agent string, but Firefox does not. I wanted this desperately, but didn't know what it was called. Now I can use all my school's sites. Thanks.

P.S. Here's the link to the Firefox extension.
    https://do-not-add.mozilla.org/exten...info.php?id=59
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

Originally posted by bwkaz
    It's for browsers like Lynx that don't display images (or for browsers that have images turned off). Or for when the image's src attribute comes back with a 404.
    And for the visually impaired whose speech software relys on ALT tags. Wording ALT tags properly is one's tribute to enhance life quality for this minority.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Parcival,

I didn't know that about the alt tags. I never really used them. Looks like I have some coding to fix on my web pages.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.