root password

Thread: root password

root password

is there a way that i can set up Fedora so that it stays in my root account all the time.i'm the only one that ever uses the thing.very confused about switching back and forth from a root to a user account.

yes but then you may as well run windows.

do not ever run your machine as root, especially if you are in X Window.

there are a ton of threads on this forum that explain why not to do it if you need an explanation -- or im sure google will come up with lots of information. by running as root, you are nullifying the advantage of the unix security model.

Originally posted by Hayl
    advantage of the unix security model.
    Advantage???
    what advantage.... rwxrwxrwx perms suck, it's probably unixes (sic?) biggest disadvantage....
    DISCLAIMER: sometimes i use a text browser, so I may not see any emoticons directed at me.

Brandon Niemczyk <bniemczyk@snprogramming.com>
    http://bniemczyk.is-a-geek.com

Everytime i try to add a plug in or something it says to login as root. I do so but then still cannot get things to install.for example jr2e I follow all install instructions and still get error messages saying no such file,no such directory.seems like such a hassle.got to be an easier way.

make a post _individually_ for each/any problem(s) you have. and the people on here will get you up and running properly the right way.

Probably you need to su -. Also for a command that's not in root's command path, use ./command_name

eg #./configure
    Isn't it strange the onset of overheating will result in freezing?